1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Max68, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The next YouTube Independent Sage is at 13.30 today.

2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve always known I’m greater than I think I am, but tried to suppress it, hehe. I really don’t see why a household in which a few might be taking more risks than others, especially in the kinds of connections they make, should not also assess risks using a vulnerability chart like this. Admittedly, hospital staff have a greater likelihood of encountering Covid carriers and sufferers than most others, but the unknown spread of symptomless or pre-symptom people in the wider population is unknown, especially now pubs, playgrounds, sports venues, soft play areas, etc are opening up.

3. JRT

JRT · Well-Known Member

Yes maybe it's all just coincidence. Maybe no news is good news. Time will tell. Yes I have a reminder set for 1.30

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

The Govt has pronounced that kids hardly spread the virus. But then it announced early in the pandemic that spread in care homes was unlikely. Wishful thinkers or deliberate liars?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This doctor gives a thoughtful analysis of the Odds of Dyng of Covid (age). There have been 2 previous videos giving clear explanations of the terminology and studies used. He does not appear to have a dog in the fight so I hope you will have a look at all 3.
    Age is the biggest risk factor for sure. Diabetes type 2 gives you an odds ratio of 1.8 rising to 2.85 if you are type 1 (Professor P Karr et al in The Lancet study on the topic).
    Isn't this what you want to know rather than whether or not school kids are going to infect you but what happens if you do get infected?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Scottish schools have already gone back.

Let's see what happens next.

Apparently, according to a holidaying couple overheard today, there is no covid-19 in Wales.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Well it's all a bit of fun not really to take too seriously not for me I don't work in a hospital

Although my wife scores 9 and she is at work in a hospital right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. lucylocket61

the point is that the advice is not consistent, and the standard advice in other setting miraculously doesnt apply in schools.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JRT

JRT · Well-Known Member

Interesting listening to Independent Sage. I'm sure there are some who will have issues with them but I find them very considered with a distinct lack of three word slogans.
    Today was mainly about the reopening of Universities. Very similar predicament to schools.
    Yes deaths are down but new cases rising at rate that is causing concern,and it's not down to a more effective test scenario.
    There was also a brief discussion of long covid and how it could have long term effects on those that only have mild symptoms.
    I certainly, and not for the first time,that we could be at the very beginning of this. Unless an effective vaccine is found we are going to change how we live and interact. I have a feeling we are going to have to learn the hard way.
    The government. I could say many things about them. Even if they were capable this virus would pose a considerable challenge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. JRT

JRT · Well-Known Member

It applies,the government just chooses not to focus on it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. lucylocket61

sorry, I was being sarcastic about the miraculous bit : )

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is probably the worst government I remember, combining self interest with incompetence. If you select the cabinet on their support for Brexit rather than ability and experience this is what you get.
    Having said all that it seems that the imperative of getting children back to school is shared with most other countries. There are variations in the precautions between countries so time will tell what works and what doesn't, I just hope there isn't a disaster in the meantime.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

If the decision makers of any country were to spend a year in a jail cell for every avoidable death in the pandemic their decisions may well be somewhat different. Governments sadly seem to be exempt from being held accountable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. lucylocket61

I keep listening to "the lunatics have taken over the asylum"

It's as valid today as when it was written.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yellredder

Yellredder Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks - I was in the other day and made sure the windows were open as much as they could be. Apparently there is another RA being put together as my job involves seeing students in their workplaces, travelling from place to place - I think that's more risky than the staffroom really.

16. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

In fairness to the govt they, like almost everybody else in the world, was faced with a situation that nobody had come across for at least a century - possibly since Spanish Flu in 1918. Yes they may have sometimes looked as though they made it up as they went along after following advisors advice but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, to be honest, whatever decisions they made would, as it does now, have attracted criticism from some quarters. I have a suspicion that whatever govt was in place we would be in the same situation - poss even worse. There is also no shortage of conspiracy theories and, in all honesty, I wonder whether the media hype is helping to fuel the fear and anxiety that many people are now experiencing.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. lucylocket61

I would agree with you except that our government ignored all the experience and advice of countries ahead of us, and chose to do the bare minimum they can get away with, while simultaneously ignoring all common sense (like sending patients with corona virus back to care homes) which even my 10 year old granddaughter queried.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. lucylocket61

Ps. It's not hindsight when leaders of other countries, news reports and scientists are warning others of the likely consequences of their harmful decisions before those decisions are made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

My partner's daughter, who works in anaesthetics and resus, in an NHS hospital, scores 0 on the risk matrix. All very spiffing I hear you say.

Well, a few years ago she bumped into an aggressive form of cancer, starting on the inside of her mouth. She had major, equally aggressive, life-saving surgery, a small part of which involved her neck lymph nodes being removed along with those in her armpit on the affected side. She takes a prophylactic antibiotic daily. For employment purposes, after a long, hard battle, she is recognised under the Equality Act, relating to her impacted ability to fight off infections.

Her risk assessment? Fine to work. Crack on. Business as usual.

Fortunately, her surgical consultant, who happens to work in the same hospital, nearly had apoplexy and managed to swing it that she doesn't enter "Red Areas" or carry a bleep for the crash trolley.

That risk tool is very blunt indeed, bordering on useless.

She is working through, taking care. She is her father's daughter in the bravery stakes. I doff my hat to her, every day.

Of course, there will be others equally, if not more impacted by the frailty of the tool, so I'm not putting her on any form of pedestal.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Very concerning indeed, but totally unsurprising..

As one person in the video comments perfectly puts it -
    "The thinking behind the children not being spreaders was never a scientific idea more a political one."

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook