Covid causing insulin resistance?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have finally caught the corona. It's not too bad at the moment, but I seem to be needing huge amounts of insulin to cover quite small amounts of carbs. As such I've had a couple of huge spikes.

Is it possible that covid has increased my resistance to insulin? I wonder if I've let my insulin get hot or cold. I've just gone to a fresh cartridge so will cover that one soon.

Anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-08-12-05-28-01_1f282d79cc470271d24365448b52b737.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-08-12-05-28-01_1f282d79cc470271d24365448b52b737.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 181

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@TheLazarusProject I haven't experienced it, but it's more than likely the case based on the fact it's a viral infection and your body will be producing hormones in response to this, which will affect your insulin sensitivity.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have finally caught the corona. It's not too bad at the moment, but I seem to be needing huge amounts of insulin to cover quite small amounts of carbs. As such I've had a couple of huge spikes.

Is it possible that covid has increased my resistance to insulin? I wonder if I've let my insulin get hot or cold. I've just gone to a fresh cartridge so will cover that one soon.

I have exactly this whenever I am ill with any infection. Last time I was 2-3% in target every day for a week. If it continues maybe contact your team about temporarily upping your basal as well as following sick day rules with your bolus. Check for ketones, make sure you avoid DKA Hope it passes soon.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Its not just covid that causes insulin resistance but any infection or stress usually. It is always amazing how much extra insulin is needed! Often double or triple dose.
I hope you are okay with your dosing and watch out for the sudden exit to normal resistance on the other side of this. I hope you will feel better soon.

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TheLazarusProject do you have the ability to check for ketones?
I have read these have a tendency to go high with Covid so please keep an eye on them as well as blood sugars.
And follow the sick day rules.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've recently had Covid and my insulin needs went up a lot and are only just coming down again. My weight hasn't changed. Yes, it could insulin resistance changing or just the BS increase with a virus.

Caprock94

Hi all,

T2 here, but I definitely noticed a difference when I had Covid. Fasting blood sugar levels were running 25% higher or so for a few days. Finally settled back down.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all,
Fortunately ketones are in check.
Seems to be 150% to 200% normal bolus seems to be working well.
I've gotten a course of molnupirivir from the oxford study so hopefully that might help. Fortunately symptoms are easing anyway. Praise the vaccines!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had covid 2 weeks ago & blood sugars never went up, really odd

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you're feeling better! My blood sugar's were high for a few weeks unfortunately. Viruses like that can play havoc with Diabetes, my Ketones were going high aswell for a while.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had covid a month ago and my levels were slightly elevated. The one thing I struggled with was even if I ate something I would normally take 4u of novorapid for I was ending up doubling it and doing a lot of correction doses.

I put this down to being inactive for a couple of weeks and not being able to burn off the excess sugars that I normally can.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Ten days since contracting Covid and finally testing negative. Symptoms indistinguishable from a headcold. While isolating I really focused on keeping my BGs in range (properly sticking to keto diet). I upped my basal by a couple of units as not exercising, but otherwise not noticing any change in insulin sensitivity re boluses. My ketones tend to run slightly high unless I'm eating carbs, but still measuring my typical levels.

Reactions: Mike d

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had covid in December just as I started hybrid looping. During the week I had covid my basal rate was 8 units higher than usual. Pretty crazy how your insulin needs can change just because of a virus really!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of people who were diagnosed type 2 after Covid, then normal after a few months. There is definitely something strange going on.