1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lupf, May 15, 2020.

1. Nikki1111

Nikki1111 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your post, very informative. Can I ask you, my mmol for the last 3 months has been controlled with medication, exercise and healthy eating. The readings are between 4 - 7 mmol before and after eating, silly question but is that ok?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cofty

Cofty Type 1 · Member

So have we any data on T1. I'm T1, and currently lack any context on this 25%. Thank you

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Sounds ok to me.. probably at the same level as the general population.

4. Lupf

Lupf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my understanding this in the category of well controlled diabetes, where they give a 50% increase in risk of dying from Covid when compared to a healthy female of the same age. However this is an average, your numbers look very good, so your increased risk could be lower. Recall the biggest risk factor is age, so once you are infected the absolute risk mainly depends on that.

#64 Lupf, May 19, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  5. bulkbiker

50% risk of what?
    Catching it , expiring from it or what?
    Relative or absolute ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lupf

Lupf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing out that I am sloppy with my answers
    when quoting numbers I always refer to the hazard ratios of in-hospital Covid-19 deaths,
    which is discussed in the paper I refer to in the top of this thread, see Table 2 of https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1.
    I have updated the answer to @Nikki1111 and defined this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Erin

Erin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am sceptical about these statistics because they tend to focus on specific variables, not taking into account other possible interactions, such as other medications, or diseases. From my recent exprience, (which was a bit of a nightmare, and required trips to the ER) I attributed many diabetic symptoms to "iatrogenic" factors. But when these factors were corrected the "diabetic" symptoms, (though still there) diminished and even a high blood sugar did not make me feel so sick.

The media, both government and helpful websites keep repeating that vulnerable classes for contracting this virus are primarily diabetics. But a diabetic may have other disorders, either due to age, condition, or medications. To get the whole picture, I think that more than one disorder should be studied in these statistics.

Erin

8. robertFE

robertFE Type 1 · Member

I am currently, like most people, unable to obtain a current HbA1C, though my eA1C is 6.4%, simply where does that place me... am I well controlled or badly, since I was advised by my GP to self isolate, which at the time I felt was slightly extreme, but after reading the above, and hearing the BBC news state diabetics are at risk (but not listed by this government as vulnerable), just inquisitive to know where I fit.

9. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #69 kev-w, May 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  10. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

In the UK, a diagnosis of diabetes is made with an a1c of 6.5% and above. So you're doing well, just creeping under the wire there fella.

11. MTS1980

MTS1980 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good day mate well I tried to bowl like glen macgrath but cudnt a pure world class and a champion bowler one of my fav Australian !

12. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

13. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rose22

Rose22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I read this morning that type 1 are 3.5 times more likely have complications with COVID. Type 2 twice as likely! Then it’s even higher if poorly controlled.
    I have zero appointments scheduled, no contact from nurses or consultant, yet it would seem higher risk group! I feel totally left to my own devices, I’m only newly diagnosed really 3 months on insulin.

• Hug Hug x 2
  15. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, t's not nice, especially when newly diagnosed, like yourself, get's left on the back burner. Do you have the DSN's number so you can make a call, or the surgery's/hospital number and actually speak to someone ?
    Good luck and take care x

16. bulkbiker

17. Jamie H

Jamie H · Well-Known Member

It does mention it. It's in one of the papers and talks about hazard ratios and hba1c. Control is also mentioned as being important in the findings/conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Estragon

Estragon · Well-Known Member

When I hear “support” for diabetics my antenna starts vibrating. Could this mean that any of us of BMI/HT higher than X and age greater than Y and a Diabetic Profile ( T1 T2 , controlled/uncontrolled) Z would get COVID19 Hospital Care?

Oh, BTW, I was hospitalised with COVID19 for a week. I pulled through with a HbA1c of 52 and controlled with BG morning of anything from 6.7 to 7.6. I’m hoping for the best. However, IMHO, Diabetes has become another political vector. I know Diabetes has been for far too long, what I call the Cinderella Disease. It wasn’t until I’d reached an HbA1c of 89 and a fasting BG of 18 that I was GIVEN the Pricks n Strips.

I’m a diabetic. I survived COVID19 in only a week. Am I a Diabetic that can go on being part of the “at risk” Diabetic Group? As I said, my antenna are fully switched on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Dusty911

Dusty911 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    #79 Dusty911, May 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  20. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Again, even this number is misleading. In the under 50s, the numbers were considered too low, so suppressed, meaning that counted* deaths in type 1 cases were exclusively in the over-50s.

Or in other words, if you have type 1 and are under 50 without comorbidities, it looks as though there is little difference to the general population. It is, once again, those over 50 where the risks start to rise.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook