Covid vaccine eligibility in Group 6

SarahEN

Hi. I've yet to receive my letter inviting me to get my vaccine & I was thinking that it might be because my levels are well controlled with diet so they haven't got me in the right priority group.

Has anyone who has been diagnosed T2 but has hba1c's in the pre diabetic or normal range been invited as yet? I know there are regional difference to take into account.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes
I had a call last week which I respectfully declined but was asked if I wanted the vax.
I'm 59 and officially classed as "in remission" by my surgery.
West Sussex area.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had non diabetic HbA1cs for over three years. I got a text invitation last Friday from my GP surgery. Booked and done on Saturday. I believe the large vaccine centres are dealing with the age groups while GP surgeries are concentrating on Group 6 as they have local knowledge of their patients conditions.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's going to take time, I've not heard yet either, my local surgery was doing the group 5's last week, so they need to be done first and group 6 is probably fairly hefty so it may just take a while.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it is worth remembering that there are 7 million people in tier 6. This is the largest tier so far so it is not surprising that they haven't got around to contacting everyone yet.

Reactions: KK123

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine (Pfizer) this morning, Local GP's have set up a group in the town for vaccinations, I'm guessing it's running in alphabetical order as my practice starts with an A. Just tested pre lunch and 4.3, so it's not affected my BG's so far

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My asthma nurse said yesterday that I may have another couple of months to wait.

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I've yet to receive my letter inviting me to get my vaccine & I was thinking that it might be because my levels are well controlled with diet so they haven't got me in the right priority group.

Has anyone who has been diagnosed T2 but has hba1c's in the pre diabetic or normal range been invited as yet? I know there are regional difference to take into account.

Hi. I had a text from my GP's yesterday morning and my vaccine appt is this Friday 26th. My Hba1c is ok. I think it depends where you live and how many diabetics etc there are at your practice. I am sure it won't be long

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My asthma nurse said yesterday that I may have another couple of months to wait.
Surely with COPD you can go higher up the list? A couple of months is too long to wait. I know someone who is 41 with no medical conditions who was offered the jab last week.

SarahEN

Thanks all.i'm OK with waiting my turn - I was more wondering if I wasn't in group 6 due to remission.

I am however supposed to be moving abroad for work mid June and would prefer to get both jabs done before I go if at all possible.

Hi,
I am also waiting to be invited for the vaccine. I am also Group 6, a diet only type 2 diabetic & have a heart condition.
When I contacted my GP surgery last week, I was told they were doing group 5 and it wouldn’t be long.
I know quite a few friends in the same Group 6 that have already been called. Though I believe it depends on how many are within a specific cohort in a GP surgery.
I am desperate to have it as been almost shielding myself.

Reactions: SarahEN

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got mine today but even locally there have been variations in my own type 1 social group thus causing anxiety amongst those who fret that their GP hasn't got them in the right category. To me it makes sense that there will not be a universal group 6 invitation give the size of this group and the pressure that would put on the booking system. I guess it also depends upon the size of the local populations in the other groups 1-5 who have to be gotten through before invitations are even sent.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because I am 59 and it's based purely on age, apparently.

I'm 59 too so I'm guessing that the 60 to 65s (group 6) are being done first then followed by those of us who aren't yet 60 (I'm 8 weeks off!) but have those underlying conditions (group 6 also), ie, we are in with the 16 to 59 group so I guess it could take a while! I don't really get their 'based purely on age' thing though, what about the 16 to 59 group, how do they prioritise there. Who knows eh!!! Thanks for clarifying. x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 59 too so I'm guessing that the 60 to 65s (group 6) are being done first then followed by those of us who aren't yet 60 (I'm 8 weeks off!) but have those underlying conditions (group 6 also), ie, we are in with the 16 to 59 group so I guess it could take a while! I don't really get their 'based purely on age' thing though, what about the 16 to 59 group, how do they prioritise there. Who knows eh!!! Thanks for clarifying. x
Group 5 is 65-70 Group 6 is any adult with the specified underlying health conditions. and group 7 is 60-65.

Group 7 ages without conditions shouldn’t be being done yet (unless they’ve done all the higher groups)