covid vaccine

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just looking for some advice, I am diabetic type 2 on tablets for that and for high blood pressure I work in a ambulance a and e emergency control room, i cannot have the flu vaccine as i reacted badly not a epipen job but eye and face swelled up to the point i could not see, and was unwell, the same thing happened when gp tried to change my blood pressure tablets and had to go back on the original tablets, also reaction to the needle point when they did a antibody test arm came up swollen and heavily bruised. I had covid in October was quite ill not hospital but ill , still got lingering effects, sore head, headaches, rashes and most devastating is im loosing my hair at a very fast rate normally thick curly hair but now going thinner and balding in places i am told this is temporary i hope so but does not make me feel good at the moment.

But I have heard if you have had covid you can have a worse reaction to the vaccine, and given my history of reactions its actually starting to worry me and also I feel under immense pressure to get it from my works, just hearing peoples opinions that you should get it and Im already not sleeping with the covid after effects but i cant even get a gp consultation at the moment, I have a nurse appointment next week for a post covid blood test, i will discuss some things there but pressure of this vaccine is getting to me, just dont know how to go about it.

Janine

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my opinion if you react badly or are allergic you should feel no shame or guilt in not having it.

If you were allergic to peanuts would you eat them just cos everyone else loved them, I think the answer is no :)

But yes I would discuss it with the nurse or GP as soon as you can to discuss any available options

Reactions: Robbity

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just looking for some advice, I am diabetic type 2 on tablets for that and for high blood pressure I work in a ambulance a and e emergency control room, i cannot have the flu vaccine as i reacted badly not a epipen job but eye and face swelled up to the point i could not see, and was unwell, the same thing happened when gp tried to change my blood pressure tablets and had to go back on the original tablets, also reaction to the needle point when they did a antibody test arm came up swollen and heavily bruised. I had covid in October was quite ill not hospital but ill , still got lingering effects, sore head, headaches, rashes and most devastating is im loosing my hair at a very fast rate normally thick curly hair but now going thinner and balding in places i am told this is temporary i hope so but does not make me feel good at the moment.

But I have heard if you have had covid you can have a worse reaction to the vaccine, and given my history of reactions its actually starting to worry me and also I feel under immense pressure to get it from my works, just hearing peoples opinions that you should get it and Im already not sleeping with the covid after effects but i cant even get a gp consultation at the moment, I have a nurse appointment next week for a post covid blood test, i will discuss some things there but pressure of this vaccine is getting to me, just dont know how to go about it.

Janine
Have your allergies been invertigated, @jan.steamqueen67 ? Regardless of whether or not you choose to have covid or flu vaccines, it is something to be wary of as you could have reactions to other medications or even foods or environmental substances. You say you did not need an epipen after your flu vacc reaction, so your reaction appears to be anaphylactoid rather than anaphylaxis. Though still not without its dangers.
I wonder if this organisation can help answer questions for you..
https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/living-with-anaphylaxis/care-and-medication/

For a long time I had adverse reactions to all sorts of things. It took several years to get it sorted, and my referral to an allergy consultant came after a bad reaction to general anaesthetic. I have meds to dampen down my immune system. Not ideal, but was able to have flu vaccine this year, with no reaction. Previously I had the problem you described. I do still have some reactions, but nowhere near as life limiting as they have been. I intend to have the covid vaccine, but will have my rescue meds with me, and be aware that I will need to be monitored by nearest and dearest for a while after because sometimes my reactions can be delayed for a few days. Ifeel that at some stage I will be exposed to reaction to covid, either through contact with someone infected ( I can’t hide at home forever) or by injection. I choose the injection, as at leadt that will be in a controlled environment
Whatever you decide, I wish you good health.