Crash and burn

Paulm80

So I’ve been diagnosed a whole week now, on a diet as few carbs as possible, no junk , no excess sugar! Yesterday afternoon however i have crashed, no energy and constantly starving even tho I’m not eating any less really just better!
Please tell me this dosent last! I have no energy!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’ve been diagnosed a whole week now, on a diet as few carbs as possible, no junk , no excess sugar! Yesterday afternoon however i have crashed, no energy and constantly starving even tho I’m not eating any less really just better!
Please tell me this dosent last! I have no energy!
It doesn't last. When you switch to a low carb diet this can happen. Are you achy in muscles, joints, headachy too? Could be you've got carb flu. It basically happens when you quit the carbs. Carbs hold on to water, and when you stop them you wee out a lot of waterweight. But with it, also a lot of salt/electrolytes. So you get a little dehydrated. Salty bone broth (or just some straight salt, if you can palate it), and/or coconut milk should ease your troubles. If it is carb flu, it can last from a few days to a week or two, depending on how steep an adjustment your body is making, but it is worth it, honest. I went through it a few times, with every change in my diet. And I never regretted it, because at the end of this thing you'll have more energy than you know what to do with. Also, you might want to up the fats and protein some, because as you cut the carbs your body'll demand them, but if you feel full (which especially fats will accomplish, so do go for some excellent cheese or eggs!) you'll feel a lot better. Aside from that, our bodies kindof signal the same way for hunger as they do for thirst. If I'm hungry I have a mug of tea first. Usually solves the pangs.

Reactions: lessci

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have cut out a lot of carbs you need to replace the lost energy by upping either protein or good fats or both, preferably the good fats. Otherwise you will crash. Have you done this or are you still trying to eat low fat? Low fat is a big mistake, partly because low fat products normally contain sugar, and partly because the real thing is better for our health (and taste).

Can you give us an idea of what you are typically eating in a day?

Have you got your own blood glucose meter? I think you need one.

Another thing you could do to help us is to complete your profile personal details to show which type of diabetes you have, your treatment, and your medications if any. If you are using the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this. If we can't see this information it could lead to inappropriate advice.

Paulm80

If you have cut out a lot of carbs you need to replace the lost energy by upping either protein or good fats or both, preferably the good fats. Otherwise you will crash. Have you done this or are you still trying to eat low fat? Low fat is a big mistake, partly because low fat products normally contain sugar, and partly because the real thing is better for our health (and taste).

Another thing you could do to help us is to complete your profile personal details to show which type of diabetes you have, your treatment, and your medications if any. If you are using the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this. If we can't see this information it could lead to inappropriate advice.

Today I had one piece low carb toast, lunch activia yoghurt and a baby bell then a turkey salad, tea tonight will be cauliflower cheese and sausages so eating fine- this is a lot less than I’m used to eating mind!

Paulm80

Sorry type 2 diagnosed a week ago! Weight has dropped about 7 pounds already due to not eating as much ! I could put away a lot before , not got anything like glucose monitor yet still haven’t had my 2nd round of bloods that will be next thurs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you are being too severe in your carb cutting - if you are not testing your blood glucose you do not know how much your levels have gone down - if you are experiencing the UKs variable but humid weather some cold roast chicken might be a good idea - a pack of thighs from the supermarket is both large and cheap - then some salad stuff - coleslaw, cucumber radish celery tomato, some green leaves - just to add in some colour and crunch, and a few extra carbs - but most people find that they can eat a few tens of carbs without detriment, and the micro nutrients are good for you.
Adding a sprinkle of salt and a teaspoon of psyllium husk to the salad can be beneficial, and a pinch of a dried herb for variety.
I'd certainly recommend it for better nutrition than toast - and you are not really eating enough. I found that my metabolism just doesn't go on a high carb diet - low carb gets it in top gear and back up to speed, but only when properly nourished.

Reactions: Paulm80

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had one piece low carb toast, lunch activia yoghurt and a baby bell then a turkey salad, tea tonight will be cauliflower cheese and sausages so eating fine- this is a lot less than I’m used to eating mind!

What did you put on your toast?
Have you looked on the yogurt pot to see how many carbs and how much sugar there is in the amount you ate?
Are the sausages high meat content ones (around 97% meat) or stuffed full of cereal?

It isn't so much the quantity that you eat, but the content that matters. I eat almost as much as I used to do, but the type of food has changed. So far today I have had a soft boiled egg for breakfast (never was a big breakfast eater), and 2 cups of tea. For lunch I had 3 rashers of bacon, 1 high meat sausage, 1 cooked tomato, 1 fried egg, loads of mushrooms and a slice of low carb toast with a very generous coating of butter. All the frying was done in butter. For tea tonight it will be a salmon salad - including a small tin of red salmon, some cherry toms, some Red Leicester cheese, a boiled egg, a large dollop of real mayonnaise, followed by strawberries and cream, washed down with a glass of red wine.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

It sounds like you are starving yourself, low carb isn't about calorie restriction. So don't deny yourself food or this will prolong the effects of what you are experiencing currently and it is very likely to be part of the reason for your lack of energy. If you were used to eating a lot of carbs previously and you suddenly stop that and go low carb, it's a shock to your body.

You need protein and fats. You can eat veggies and that will probably help with making the transistion from burning glucose all the time to running on fats. If you want some meal ideas try www.dietdoctor.com they offer a lot of choices and you can always goolge low carb meal ideas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry type 2 diagnosed a week ago! Weight has dropped about 7 pounds already due to not eating as much ! I could put away a lot before , not got anything like glucose monitor yet still haven’t had my 2nd round of bloods that will be next thurs

Can you complete the personal details in your profile settings?
Use your browser, not the app. Hover over your user name top right, click on personal details, scroll down and complete the type of diabetes box, the treatment and medications boxes. That will help.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe up the portion size some? Not the activia, that's carby, but the non-carby stuff? Cauliflower cheese & sausages doubled up? You don't have to starve to go low carb you know. I eat more now than I used to.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Paulm80 Eat till satiated is always the message of low carb, honestly the calorie restriction comes almost naturally because you won't feel as hungry but don't deny yourself some food and bulk things up a little more with protein and fat. Could be a bit of keto flu thrown in there as well making it rougher but just make sure that you're getting enough when you DO eat.