Crashes and Lows

chrisd1

Hi, I am newly diagnosed and seem to have an issue with energy levels. My blood sugar can be at 5.8 as it was today but my energy level just drops like a stone, so much that even walking is an issue. Could this be the Metformin 4 a day and Sandoz-Gliclazide 30mg - 1 a day. Or is this a symptom of the T2.

I am finding it very hard. Even if I eat and raise the sugars I still don't recover until the next day really. I have also noticed my blood pressure has increased, tonight, 120 over 80, for me that's higher than it was normally.

Any tips on these lowes would be appreciated,

thanks

Chris.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My best guess is that you're getting "false hypos". These occur when someone's body has become used to high levels of blood sugar and then gets symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) when their levels go down to normal levels. Luckily these symptoms should pass once you're used to the new levels (your brain isn't really being starved of energy, it just feels like it).

It is possible to get real hypoglycemia (blood sugar less than 4) on gliclazide, so you should be aware of this and prepared to take action should it happen (action being eat/drink something sweet, ideally glucose but a jellybaby or two would do it).

Having said all that, please do check with your team, as this is only a guess, albeit an informed one.

Can't really comment on the blood pressure, other than you might be feeling stressed????

Good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am newly diagnosed and seem to have an issue with energy levels. My blood sugar can be at 5.8 as it was today but my energy level just drops like a stone, so much that even walking is an issue. Could this be the Metformin 4 a day and Sandoz-Gliclazide 30mg - 1 a day. Or is this a symptom of the T2.

I am finding it very hard. Even if I eat and raise the sugars I still don't recover until the next day really. I have also noticed my blood pressure has increased, tonight, 120 over 80, for me that's higher than it was normally.

thanks

Chris.
Hi Chris,

Can you tell us what your blood glucose levels are like when you feel that way? As @EllieM stated, they could be false hypo's, but they could also be the real thing, due to the gliclazide. With glic in the mix, you really should have a meter perscribed from your GP. (One should always have a meter, but alas, without certain meds one has to self-fund.) And what are you eating? Because if you're on a low carb diet with gliclazide, hypo's can and will occur.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as the hypo possibilities, if you are low carb already a lack of electrolytes can make you feel pretty terrible. Not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

thanks

Chris.

Chris, as the others have said, it's worthwhile just looking at your bloods when you feel this way, however, I might be inclined to guess (and let's face it it can only be a guess at the moment), that your body is trying to get used to its new "normal" of taking medication, and so on.

The Metformin you are using is fairly gentle on blood glucose levels. It really works by helping your body to work better, and handle your own insulin better than it has been. Your Gliclazide is designed to push your blood glucose down, so you are likely running lower than you were before.

Our bodies like to work to routines, and it will do its best to keep us in our usual "comfort zone", so "helping" you by giving you signals like this could be seen as being a very short term positive. I'd guess your body is just getting used to your nerw normal. If I am correct, provided you're looking after yourself - eating well, sleeping and so on, I'd expect you to start perking up soon.

I know I've expressed that in a hyper-simple way, but it's the essence of it.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

thanks

Chris.
Type2s without Gliclizide don't normally hypo on metformin only.
Gliclizide is a med which increases your insulin production so if your overweight it's counter-productive.
Has a GP checked your hba1c blood test lately?
Are you using a meter due to Gliclizide med?
Always use a meter if you want to know how your daily bgs are doing. An hba1c blood test only gives a past few month's average.
Keep testing and if your finding Gliclizide is too strong for you then go back to see your diabetes care team.
You know your body better than anyone.
Gliclizide can wear out your pancreas... eventually so a med that should only be used short time in my opinion. However remember no one on here is able to give you medical advice. Including me.
Read your Gliclizide info leaflet fully and take medical advice if your meter is reading too low on a regular basis. An odd low is ok, in fact normal for type2s.

chrisd1

false hypos
My best guess is that you're getting "false hypos". These occur when someone's body has become used to high levels of blood sugar and then gets symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) when their levels go down to normal levels. Luckily these symptoms should pass once you're used to the new levels (your brain isn't really being starved of energy, it just feels like it).

It is possible to get real hypoglycemia (blood sugar less than 4) on gliclazide, so you should be aware of this and prepared to take action should it happen (action being eat/drink something sweet, ideally glucose but a jellybaby or two would do it).

Having said all that, please do check with your team, as this is only a guess, albeit an informed one.

Can't really comment on the blood pressure, other than you might be feeling stressed????

Good luck.
false hypos- that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the info.

chrisd1

Hi Chris,

Can you tell us what your blood glucose levels are like when you feel that way? As @EllieM stated, they could be false hypo's, but they could also be the real thing, due to the gliclazide. With glic in the mix, you really should have a meter perscribed from your GP. (One should always have a meter, but alas, without certain meds one has to self-fund.) And what are you eating? Because if you're on a low carb diet with gliclazide, hypo's can and will occur.
thanks for the info. Bloods are at circa 5.8 when it happens, I do have a metre that I use 3 times a day. We are moving to the low carb diet.

chrisd1

Chris, as the others have said, it's worthwhile just looking at your bloods when you feel this way, however, I might be inclined to guess (and let's face it it can only be a guess at the moment), that your body is trying to get used to its new "normal" of taking medication, and so on.

The Metformin you are using is fairly gentle on blood glucose levels. It really works by helping your body to work better, and handle your own insulin better than it has been. Your Gliclazide is designed to push your blood glucose down, so you are likely running lower than you were before.

Our bodies like to work to routines, and it will do its best to keep us in our usual "comfort zone", so "helping" you by giving you signals like this could be seen as being a very short term positive. I'd guess your body is just getting used to your nerw normal. If I am correct, provided you're looking after yourself - eating well, sleeping and so on, I'd expect you to start perking up soon.

I know I've expressed that in a hyper-simple way, but it's the essence of it.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for this, it all helps for sure.

chrisd1

Type2s without Gliclizide don't normally hypo on metformin only.
Gliclizide is a med which increases your insulin production so if your overweight it's counter-productive.
Has a GP checked your hba1c blood test lately?
Are you using a meter due to Gliclizide med?
Always use a meter if you want to know how your daily bgs are doing. An hba1c blood test only gives a past few month's average.
Keep testing and if your finding Gliclizide is too strong for you then go back to see your diabetes care team.
You know your body better than anyone.
Gliclizide can wear out your pancreas... eventually so a med that should only be used short time in my opinion. However remember no one on here is able to give you medical advice. Including me.
Read your Gliclizide info leaflet fully and take medical advice if your meter is reading too low on a regular basis. An odd low is ok, in fact normal for type2s.

I use the strips to test 2 or 3 times a day. The Gliclizide is something I need to watch and get off of as soon as possible then, thanks for this - Chris.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I use the strips to test 2 or 3 times a day. The Gliclizide is something I need to watch and get off of as soon as possible then, thanks for this - Chris.

Just one other quick note. Most T2s find that a low carb diet does wonders for their blood sugars and medication needs. But, a significant number of T1/LADA diabetics are initially misdiagnosed as T2, particularly adults who some GPs assume are T2 just because of their age. While it's still most likely that you are T2, if your GP hasn't ruled out T1 derivatives by doing the relevant blood tests, then you should be aware of that possibility. Short term, low carb will probably improve your levels whatever type of diabetes you have, but longer term if they start to go up again you should push your GP to do the tests. While the symptoms (high blood sugar) are the same for T1 and T2, the diseases and treatments are different. T2s can't process carbs correctly because of insulin resistance, and their bodies will vainly pump out more and more insulin to try to cope. Going low carb is the obvious solution. T1s have the problem that they are not producing insulin in the first place, and while low carb will help while they are still producing some insulin, it's not a permanent solution, though it will delay the need for injected insulin, possibly for years for LADA folk.

Reactions: HSSS and kokhongw

chrisd1

Just one other quick note. Most T2s find that a low carb diet does wonders for their blood sugars and medication needs. But, a significant number of T1/LADA diabetics are initially misdiagnosed as T2, particularly adults who some GPs assume are T2 just because of their age. While it's still most likely that you are T2, if your GP hasn't ruled out T1 derivatives by doing the relevant blood tests, then you should be aware of that possibility. Short term, low carb will probably improve your levels whatever type of diabetes you have, but longer term if they start to go up again you should push your GP to do the tests. While the symptoms (high blood sugar) are the same for T1 and T2, the diseases and treatments are different. T2s can't process carbs correctly because of insulin resistance, and their bodies will vainly pump out more and more insulin to try to cope. Going low carb is the obvious solution. T1s have the problem that they are not producing insulin in the first place, and while low carb will help while they are still producing some insulin, it's not a permanent solution, though it will delay the need for injected insulin, possibly for years for LADA folk.

He did the test and confirmed T2 - Thanks again for the info and getting back to me -