Crashes and spikes

MrsKateT

Hello, I’ve been experiencing symptoms of dizziness, blurred vision, tiredness, poor sleep, sweats, lethargy recently. I’ve not been diagnosed but I felt my blood sugar was all over the place. So I bought a continuous glucose monitor (cgm).
It’s shown my blood sugar goes down to 2.9 mmol and can surge up to 10 mmol. I’ve started eating better (low carb & sugar) to see if that helps. Are these numbers a cause for concern? Should I see a doctor or do you think diet will help? I’m a 43yo, generally healthy female.
Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello, I’ve been experiencing symptoms of dizziness, blurred vision, tiredness, poor sleep, sweats, lethargy recently. I’ve not been diagnosed but I felt my blood sugar was all over the place. So I bought a continuous glucose monitor (cgm).
It’s shown my blood sugar goes down to 2.9 mmol and can surge up to 10 mmol. I’ve started eating better (low carb & sugar) to see if that helps. Are these numbers a cause for concern? Should I see a doctor or do you think diet will help? I’m a 43yo, generally healthy female.
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums.
I think it would help to know when you're testing your glucose levels.
Specificaly, check when you get up in the morning, before eating and 2 hrs after eating.
The tables on this information page show idealised glucose numbers which will give you a starting point.

Reactions: MrsKateT

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's your decision whether or not to seek medical supervision, but I think for now that getting a handle on your blood glucose readings and reactions to certain food, matching them with spikes, will prove very useful. All your symptoms could be menopausal, and this time of life also plays Old Harry with blood glucose, blood pressure and weight as well as the symptoms you describe. Adjusting your food types will probably be all you need, so to come to that from a position of knowledge empowers you. I had/am having the menopause from hell, and started at about the age you are now. You might have an easy ride through it, you might not, but understand that it shakes up your general health bigtime and should always be factored into any odd symptoms. But adjustments to diet and monitoring blood sugar now will be very helpful.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also note that CGM's are not very accurate when below 5mmol/L, and it is always suggested that if it shows less than 4 you should verify with a blood glucose meter.

If it is not a CGM you can calibrate and you are not verifying with blood glucose meter then it could be way off for all you (or anyone) knows anyway

MrsKateT

Thanks. I’m testing first thing and it’s usually around 5.6. And intermittently through the day. It went up to 10 after lunch of a sandwich yesterday. I’ll set a reminder to test 2 hrs after eating. That will give me some good info.
I’m also getting crashes of 2.9 at around 3.30 in the morning. I wake up hot, sweaty and anxious and can’t get back to sleep.

MrsKateT

Also note that CGM's are not very accurate when below 5mmol/L, and it is always suggested that if it shows less than 4 you should verify with a blood glucose meter.

If it is not a CGM you can calibrate and you are not verifying with blood glucose meter then it could be way off for all you (or anyone) knows anyway
Ok thanks for the info, good to know.

MrsKateT

It's your decision whether or not to seek medical supervision, but I think for now that getting a handle on your blood glucose readings and reactions to certain food, matching them with spikes, will prove very useful. All your symptoms could be menopausal, and this time of life also plays Old Harry with blood glucose, blood pressure and weight as well as the symptoms you describe. Adjusting your food types will probably be all you need, so to come to that from a position of knowledge empowers you. I had/am having the menopause from hell, and started at about the age you are now. You might have an easy ride through it, you might not, but understand that it shakes up your general health bigtime and should always be factored into any odd symptoms. But adjustments to diet and monitoring blood sugar now will be very helpful.

True! Thanks for your reply. I’ve been feeling out of sorts for a few months so hoping getting blood sugar under control (if I can) will help. I’ve been following a low carb diet for 4 days now. When should I expect to notice a difference?