Crisis of Confidence in Medical & Food World?

Ponchu

Anyone else experience a crisis of confidence in the world of medicine and/or food industry?

I’ll share my experience but would first appreciate others.

Mine began with failure to diagnose and then on to food industry and then to...

Thanks!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have very little confidence in either.
The food and pharma industries are obviously both in business to create shareholder value and not for the greater benefit of humanity. We should never forget this simple fact.
As for the medical world I have had pretty bad experiences both personally and within my family with diagnosis, treatment and mistreatment. I will try and be as self sufficient and informed as possible and only use them in dire emergencies.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the 1970s I worked for Allied Lyons, the food people - I have had few illusions about what is important to businesses such as that one ever since.
My struggles with opinionated GPs began a few years before that.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I must admit I have had really good experiences with the NHS. When I had a heart attack 14 years ago, this occured in front of the Ambulance crew. They brought me back to life. If it had not been for their quick response in getting to my house and quick thinking I would not be here today. I was talking to them one moment in my home with no pain, I just felt not well. I did not have the classic symptoms of a heart attack, so this shocked the Ambulance men. When I came round in hospital the Ambulance men came to see me, which I thought was lovely. A male Chinese nurse when my husband had to leave, held my hand for the rest of the night till morning. The staff were fantastic. 6 years ago I had Campylobacter and was admitted to hospital. I was on a drip for 4 days really ill. The staff were marvellous, same when I had knee surgery. I can honestly say that my experiences have been good. My nurse at the doctors is brilliant, and so is my doctor.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have lost all faith in the medical profession. I am fast losing faith in lab tests after learning how some parameters are set. This all started with a practice nurse giving me duff advice while having the attitude that all decisions would be made by her. If I can't trust a medic to get the very basics right why on earth should I trust them on drug treatments?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lost all faith in every aspect of food and pharma. However, glad to have had insulin for nigh on 40 years....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No faith or trust in the pharma and food industries. With my doctors I always insist on a dialog as I do not just take their word on things it's my body and I am going to have a say in what's best for it.

Reactions: tina_marie