Curious

Reemap

Hi Everyone,
Just waanted to know if anyone was diagnosed with type 2 in their mid 30’s and still leading a healthy life after say 30 years on a low carb diet and without medications.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed about 18yrs ago and use low carb and metformin, but was somewhat older than 30. No complications to date. My comment on diagnosis was "so I'm carbohydrate intolerant". It did not go down well with my GP.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone can help me

Hi there, I'm guessing you have had no replies because 30 years ago I doubt there were very many people with type 2 eating low carb to the extent that people do these days. I imagine most type 2s back then were very much of the 'We're told it's progressive so we can carry on eating what we did before because we're inevitably going to get worse'. Obviously it's become a more common way of managing type 2 now but finding someone from 30 years ago who was as knowledgeable about low carb as those today will be hard. x

Reactions: Brunneria

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I'm guessing you have had no replies because 30 years ago I doubt there were very many people with type 2 eating low carb to the extent that people do these days. I imagine most type 2s back then were very much of the 'We're told it's progressive so we can carry on eating what we did before because we're inevitably going to get worse'. Obviously it's become a more common way of managing type 2 now but finding someone from 30 years ago who was as knowledgeable about low carb as those today will be hard. x
@Reemap
Not only that, but here in the Netherlands, Type 2 is still often referred to as "Elderly Diabetes"... Way back when, you often didn't get it until you were properly "old". So it'll be hard to find someone still alive at this point, even if they had found the path to Low Carb. I know my gran didn't, about 30 years ago. And my friend's mom didn't either, 19 years back. So yeah... Sorry. Can't help. :(

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my 30s I was eating low carb whenever I could get away with it, and protesting that eating high carb foods made me feel unwell - but that was hysterical nonsense and I should stop that stupid fad diet and eat properly, according to my doctors.
In my 30s I was very ill when pregnant and being threatened with being taken into hospital if I did not eat properly, I suspect that I have been carb intolerant a long time - but I was already eating a low carb diet, so that would have masked it - I 'got away' with decades of low carbing after that, until my doctor ordered blood tests for cholesterol along with those checking thyroid hormone replacement.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i'm thinking @KK123 is pretty spot on, sadly.

you either got it and got worse..as instructed.

of you just never knew you had it until later life.

for me, i took an interest in my bloods and health ONCE i was DX..yeah late on parade but here now..:rolleyes:
and much more aware..:D

so looking back at my bloods in 2010..i was poor according to my Lipids profile at blood tests.
all ...as i now know in the danger zone yet no one said a word.

I suspect i was t2 back then or at least very close.
ten years later i get Dx, change diet, eat all the unhealthy things they say NOT to..:***::woot:
and made myself better as my blood tests prove.

not sure that would have happened previously.

the only consolation i can find is YOU..have a wealth of advice and plain sensible tips to get you on the right road.
and many have been at this over many years..and in truth the longer it goes, the easier it gets imho.
all things i guess you are already aware of..:)

AND you get to be the rallying point for a generation who may not have even considered this could ever happen to them so young.
a generation that does seem pretty prone to DOING something, and not just accepting the status quo.

while myself am too old to think i'll ever see this WOE being the prescribed form..(though i DO hope it is)
your generation maybe the one to smash the ramparts and storm the HCP citadel and install a new regime that recognises the multitude of tests, data, and living examples that T2 does NOT HAVE TO BE the nightmare existence they seem to think it MUST be.

Sad to land that on your young shoulders,
but the up side...you got lots more time to practice getting this right,
and if you stay on here and take in the advice,
you'll be as amazed as i was at how easy an adjustment it can be to sustain it, ONCE you get over those first few weeks.

Good luck
may the journey be smooth.