Currently serving military and T1

AndyT1

Evening all,

I have seen a thread from a few years ago from someone serving with T1 and wondering if anyone here has any further up to date experience with the medical procedures in the military?

I am army, almost done 12 years, diagnosed Oct 21, immediately downgraded to MND (Temp). Had a 6 month review it n Apr 22, HbA1c down from 137 to 45 but it was decided to have me remaining MND(Temp).

However, I am due posting in Oct 22 and the talk is possibly, depending on next HbA1c (I think they want a test in July time) they may upgrade me to MLD, not sure what level though as I have only just started insulin.

Feels like they are kicking it down the way as I am sure I can only be MND Temp for a certain period before an actual decision has to be made regarding my future.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has recent experience of how the military may handle this.

Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @AndyT1. I'm going to tag @delmcp who I believe was in the military when diagnosed, not sure whether he still is...

Of course, that may be the thread you already saw. :)

It also may be worth enquiring on the diabetes.org.uk site.

Good luck.

savage1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy,

I am in the same boat as you and I have found some useful info in the JSP. Let me know if you need any more guidance.

I am also recently diagnosed with T1. The military is still not made for us. That's all I will say.

Steve

Reactions: AndyT1

AndyT1

Hi Steve,

I have read JSP 950 one of the Annexes (H I think) has paragraph 1 and 2 related to diabetes.
If well controlled there is room to remain in.

However I have my 1 year review on Fri (30th September) and am unsure what they are going to do. I am also due posting in December as well, closer to home due to the obvious med reasons and now being on insulin. Pushing to get moved sooner.

I just want clarity now, I've done 12 years in the job and like to think the experience counts for something. In my trade I know of guys who have hidden away at non deployable units their whole careers so it should be doable.

Just got to play the waiting game.

How has the med process been for you? Its been ok for me apart from no one has yet given me an indication of the current train of thought, bit didn't mention the possibility of extending the review for another 6 months. That would be helpful as I can at least post on.

DanT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

I have seen a thread from a few years ago from someone serving with T1 and wondering if anyone here has any further up to date experience with the medical procedures in the military?

I am army, almost done 12 years, diagnosed Oct 21, immediately downgraded to MND (Temp). Had a 6 month review it n Apr 22, HbA1c down from 137 to 45 but it was decided to have me remaining MND(Temp).

However, I am due posting in Oct 22 and the talk is possibly, depending on next HbA1c (I think they want a test in July time) they may upgrade me to MLD, not sure what level though as I have only just started insulin.

Feels like they are kicking it down the way as I am sure I can only be MND Temp for a certain period before an actual decision has to be made regarding my future.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has recent experience of how the military may handle this.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I have read JSP 950 one of the Annexes (H I think) has paragraph 1 and 2 related to diabetes.
If well controlled there is room to remain in.

However I have my 1 year review on Fri (30th September) and am unsure what they are going to do. I am also due posting in December as well, closer to home due to the obvious med reasons and now being on insulin. Pushing to get moved sooner.

I just want clarity now, I've done 12 years in the job and like to think the experience counts for something. In my trade I know of guys who have hidden away at non deployable units their whole careers so it should be doable.

Just got to play the waiting game.

How has the med process been for you? Its been ok for me apart from no one has yet given me an indication of the current train of thought, bit didn't mention the possibility of extending the review for another 6 months. That would be helpful as I can at least post on.
Hi, if you want to pm me we can have a chat, RAF and diagnosed t1 in 2014, still serving

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

Thanks
Hi, just wondering, what is MND (temp) or MLD?
Thanks

DanT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MND-medically non deployable (temporary)
MLD-medically limited deployable

diabetic4ever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I have no idea about your subject but would just want to say thank you for your service.

I hope you get the result you want.

Reactions: savage1985

Lee872

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy, do you have an update on you upgrading. I was also diagnosed Type 1 in Oct 20 and downgraded. I am waiting a medical review from Occ Health in Nov 22. Where i am worried that they may discharge me after 28 years service. My control is good.

Evening all,

Thanks