Cycling Endurance Energy Snacks Advice

Johosephat

Hello,

My T2 is in remission, and I'm a keen runner who has just taken up cycling. I'm now looking to enter more long-distance duathlon (maybe triathlon) endurance events and am concerned about maintaining energy levels.

Typical recommended energy snacks for these events are fruits like bananas, pasta, sweets and gels. All unsuitable for me.

So far I'm been having macadamia and pecan nuts, and wondered if anyone has some good recommendations. I tend to avoid the grenade type bars favouring clean eating where possible.

Thanks.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a long cycle (30ish miles) I carry a couple of superfood bites from protein works with me, between 3.9 & 4.5g carbs each, small but works for me

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Unsuitable" in what way?

I remember an old experienced competitive rider from times gone by saying for most folk a jam sandwich was ideal. Slow carbs from the bread, fast hit from the jam, and fat from the butter. I never tried it!

Johosephat

"Unsuitable" in what way?

I remember an old experienced competitive rider from times gone by saying for most folk a jam sandwich was ideal. Slow carbs from the bread, fast hit from the jam, and fat from the butter. I never tried it!

I tend to avoid carbs and sugars where possible.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
for most folk a jam sandwich was ideal. Slow carbs from the bread, fast hit from the jam, and fat from the butter.
But most folks don't have T2. High BG makes most people feel sluggish, not ideal when doing endurance sports.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
MCT oil can give me a pretty fast boost. Maybe there’s a snack with MCT.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a cyclist, but if Chris Froome can win the Tour de France on a low carb diet .........

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But most folks don't have T2. High BG makes most people feel sluggish, not ideal when doing endurance sports.
I was trying to emphasise that many of the 'energy boost' foods are probably no better than a simple alternative. If you were in the Tour de France, then maybe something scientific, but otherwise a plate of pasta (which is what most amateur sportive's provide) or a jam sandwich is probably as good.

Obviously if you are diabetic then personal vagaries will come into it.

Tribal61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal experience as an amateur MTB trail rider may shock you. I’m in my 10th year of remission (no meds, only diet and excersise) since I was diagnosed in 2013. My HBA1C has never been higher than 5.4. Usually from 4.9 to 5.2 and though I’m keeping a particular low carbs diet (most of which consists in choosing whole grain bread and pasta, lot of vegs, fish, chicken, trying to avoid red meat) the last 3 years I reintroduced in it small portions of almost every food, including sweets and ice creams and to my big surprise with no high readings at all. My goal is to constantly check my sugar, at least three or four times per day, if not more. Concluding, giving that we are not all the same and we have different reactions, my personal opinion is that if you are used to ride four or five hours sessions per day, like I often do, I think a normal energy snack or bar won’t drastically change your life.
You just check your blood sugars and you’ll verify yourself.

Johosephat

My personal experience as an amateur MTB trail rider may shock you. I’m in my 10th year of remission (no meds, only diet and excersise) since I was diagnosed in 2013. My HBA1C has never been higher than 5.4. Usually from 4.9 to 5.2 and though I’m keeping a particular low carbs diet (most of which consists in choosing whole grain bread and pasta, lot of vegs, fish, chicken, trying to avoid red meat) the last 3 years I reintroduced in it small portions of almost every food, including sweets and ice creams and to my big surprise with no high readings at all. My goal is to constantly check my sugar, at least three or four times per day, if not more. Concluding, giving that we are not all the same and we have different reactions, my personal opinion is that if you are used to ride four or five hours sessions per day, like I often do, I think a normal energy snack or bar won’t drastically change your life.
You just check your blood sugars and you’ll verify yourself.

That's amazing progress. Thanks for the advice. I was diagnosed in Jan 2021 and only classed as in remission recently. Going low carb and exercising has worked so well for me, I'm not yet sure I'm willing to rock the boat by reintroducing full on carbs/sugar yet! I've got my first duathlon in a few months time. I'll see how I cope and take it from there. Thanks again though.

Reactions: Tribal61

Tribal61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's amazing progress. Thanks for the advice. I was diagnosed in Jan 2021 and only classed as in remission recently. Going low carb and exercising has worked so well for me, I'm not yet sure I'm willing to rock the boat by reintroducing full on carbs/sugar yet! I've got my first duathlon in a few months time. I'll see how I cope and take it from there. Thanks again though.

You’re welcome!