Dairy and diabetes 2

SunilS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Should dairy products be completely avoided in diabetes? Does it increase resistance to insulin?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat dairy everyday and was delighted when I went on low carb and realised I can eat cheese, butter and double cream! I have no intolerance issues with dairy. I don’t gorge on it obviously but use butter to cook with and put double cream in my coffee and on berries for pud. I have cheese most days and have it as a snack aw well if I’m hungry :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should dairy products be completely avoided in diabetes? Does it increase resistance to insulin?
There doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid dairy, or any foods which have protein and fat.
Insulin resistance is not something usually measured or even mentioned to type 2s.

Reactions: SunilS

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s no reason for someone to avoid dairy altogether unless there is an intolerance allergy etc. on a personal level as a T2 with weight problems I find if I eat too much dairy especially butter and cheese I gain weight so I do limit them slightly, I eat them but it’s not where I get my main source of fats, I use extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil and avocados, fatty cuts of meat, Greek yogurt and a few nuts, as long as your eating enough fat to feel full for long enough then there’s no reason to eat loads of dairy if you don’t want to

• Agree
Reactions: SunilS and Lainie71

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cheese most days, and cream every day in coffee. In my experience, it does not increase insulin resistance, quite the opposite.

Reactions: SunilS and filly

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Cheese formed a significant part of the Low Carb Higher Fat diet that put me into T2D remission and keeps me in remission.

Reactions: SunilS

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most dairy is absolutely fine, however watch out for dairy containing added sugar. Yogurts are particularly bad for this, so avoid anything promoted as "low" or "reduced" fat. All they've done is remove the fat and replaced it with a load of sugar to bulk it out and improve the taste.

If it's a dairy product and has more than 4.5 to 5 grams of carbs, it's got added sugar normally. 4.5 to 5 grams is normal and are the natural sugars formed during production.