Dairy

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried ghee instead of butter, @AloeSvea? Apparently the clarifying removes almost everything except the fat, so less chance of a reaction.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am not sure at the moment how I continue. I spoiled my stomach with either coconut yoghurt or bagged rocket salad that was on sale. I have not had much appetite since Thursday night, and diarrhoea as well. This was not ideal for a weekend away with friends, and a lot of walking! I keep on eating sensibly until I am completely recovered, and then I might reintroduce some double cream. That fills me up most. What I do not want is to feel very hungry due to too much insulin production. I do not really want to go back to a lot of dairy, e.g. Greek yoghurt every day, cheddar cheese blocks as snacks and semi-skimmed office milk in my tea.

Reactions: 5 people

Petrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
paranoid about taking medications although sometimes it is unavoidable
Hi everybody. It has been great reading all the posts on this thread and I have much to think about. These last 2 weeks, going dairy free and nut free, there has not been any change in my BG still in the sixes and sevens, same as a month ago. I kept an eye on the equator to see if I am lucky enough to lose some cms there -- nope.

So tomorrow, I'm back on dairy foods. If there is a revelation, I'll let you know.

Good luck AloeSvea with your test today.
Petrel

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Greetings! Another awesome day in Aotearoa, says Aloe.

Well - got my blood results back and a chuckle is in order. Not a change. Not a thing! Nada. (In my blood lipids at any rate.) It's the first time I have done one of my experiments where the results are so clearly 'unchanged' for something that seemed so huge a change in my diet. "Your numbers are stable" said the practice nurse. "I don't want my results to be stable!" I replied (I would love to see my HBA1c go back down to the lowest I have seen, which is 40, and of course even more if it descended into the 30s...). "Oh well - they are stable."

But - of course - what a relief also! Dairy can be on the table!

At least in regards to my blood glucose, HDL, LDL (actually there was a .6 rise there but I don't see that at all an interesting difference), trigs - all the same.

But yes - that 2cm off my waist and hips - has stayed the same since mid month (after 2 weeks dairy free was it?) there it is! So - clear evidence of reduced irritation in the gut? In reduced bloating? Is that how one interprets the reduction?

Because I do actually like an improved waistline - as a diabetic type I am very prone to 'truncal obesity' - or as I put it - "I have a particular fat storage pathway" (ahem). And it's still swimsuit season here, mind ;):). And I do have some feeling for what is going on in my gut - I will continue to watch the dairy consumption, and keep it low-ish. I won't bring back in my generous consumption of cream for a month - and will watch those centimetres on my tape measure and see if there is any change.

So - this month - a little cheese in dishes. Some cooking with butter. (And I will look into ghee at Indy's suggestion.) And keep a track of the waist and tum tum measurements. I'll wait on the cream till April. (When I will also go no fruit - but that is another food and BG story....)

Aren't experiments the trick??!!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheese and butter reinstated. One cm back on the waist and hips! After only some days. I kid you not. :( Haven't even got to the cream. :arghh:

I have definitely seen the sign of gut irritation and bloating with dairy. :nailbiting: Too sad.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Onion & garlic can cause gut irritation- have you had anything with these in?
My stomach is definitely lactose free.. So do empathise.....

Did you have a lot to make that difference in measurements??

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@donnellydogs - thanks for the heads up on garlic and onion. I eat lots of it actually - so that is a kind of constant in my experiments!

Re the dairy starting again and immediately increased bloating - no, I'm not eating a lot of dairy at all. Very small amounts of cheese. I bit the bullet and started IFing again, and am on a apple cider vinegar experiment this month (my FBGs have been up in the 7s again, and I am really keen to get them down/help out the ol' glucose-churning liver to keep it down). By doing both those things - the ACV and the IFing my waist measurement has gone back down. And I am still eating small amounts cheese and quite a bit of butter. It's a complicated business - this using food instead of medication!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Tell me about it!

I can't tolerate the anti cancer meds (along with many others) so am really looking at foods to keep healthy... But with slow colonic it is so hard to do....
Thought I had it sussed.. Got off morphine patches and diazepam and stomach worked good(ish!!).... But now despite 2 litres water extra each day, and eating my limited foods that worked so good for so long...
Its not nice strughling with bloating etc.
my bloating despite being "blocked up" is minimal now with no onion or garlic.... Also wind has been 99% removed.. I don't actually know whether thats good or bad as everybody gets wind..???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Let us kniw how you get on with cyder vinegar..I have 3 bottles of it in cupboard to use up...

How are you using yours??

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One TBSP in the morning (gee, I wish I liked it more! Waking up to coffee is WAY nicer!), and the second TBSP before or after dinner, depending on when I remembered to drink it! I drink it in a cup of boiled/warm water. That's the most palatable way for me. But I figure me and my gallbladder would have had a much better relationship if I had taken ACV regularly since when I first read about it in my 20s! (Not to mention BG levels/T2D.)

I also soak cucumber slices in ACV (that even tastes good!). Put it in with the olive oil salad dressings.

@donnellysdogs - you truly are a champion!

And yes - wind is a part of being human for sure! But it is a sign of gut irritation, as is bloating. Get the ACV out of the cupboard from time to time and give it a whirl?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a tablespoon of cyder apple vinegar in Pukka 3 ginger tea for the last three days now and it isn't that bad... Ginger definitely masks the taste (only a little-lol!!).... No good in nettle n mint tea though-tasted vile (still drank it though-couldn't waste an expensive teabag!!)....

My stomach has churned afterwards although it hasn't yet worked for my problem with my bowels.. As my stomachtakes 5-7 days atleast to process food it is unlikely I'll notice the effect until later this week. May not know whether its the cyder vinegar as just been given a new drug that has only just passed the tests and trials and research stage for my stomach and just started it today so I'm going to have both effects probably working at once!!

Think I need to keep off ACV until I find out the effects of this drug... (Stomach cramps, diarrhea etc). As its so new they also want to hear of any other side effects so that they can update their safety warning list!!! Watch this space!! Keeping bathroom free just incase-lol!!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The ACV and sounded tea sounded delish, @donnellysdogs. (Hmmm, and understand it might not taste so good with nettle!). Absolutely understand about giving it a miss while you pay attention to the affect of this new drug.

I whipped up my first small amount of cream last night - and oh! What a treat in my decaff coffee at night with some stevia sweetened chocolate accompanying it. It was so good I forgot the tipple of cognac! Cream is sooooooo good. But after over a month and half with very little dairy and no cream in that time, I did, ah, notice an effect on my tummy and digestion. I don't know how much was the cream, and how much an ordinary half a burger bun on normally no-wheat-grain-gluten gal me at lunchtime (silly me) - but together, that evening, my body said, 'Hey!'. That's as far as I am saying!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The ACV and sounded tea sounded delish, @donnellysdogs. (Hmmm, and understand it might not taste so good with nettle!). Absolutely understand about giving it a miss while you pay attention to the affect of this new drug.

I whipped up my first small amount of cream last night - and oh! What a treat in my decaff coffee at night with some stevia sweetened chocolate accompanying it. It was so good I forgot the tipple of cognac! Cream is sooooooo good. But after over a month and half with very little dairy and no cream in that time, I did, ah, notice an effect on my tummy and digestion. I don't know how much was the cream, and how much an ordinary half a burger bun on normally no-wheat-grain-gluten gal me at lunchtime (silly me) - but together, that evening, my body said, 'Hey!'. That's as far as I am saying!

I'm now at point of speaking to consultant tomorrow after having to have another enema today. Think I'm now going to have to have soups and liquidised foods. New drug not working on stomach although yet again it causes leg pains and eczema slin back on my face again...Avc doesn't seem to have worked either.

Had mashed swede, parsnips and butternut squash last night and tonight with spiralised courgette with a sauce from veg stock, pesto, sour cram and philli cheese. Boy the sauce was far better than gravy!! But fat in my case stops stomach working and I think I'm going to pay badly for this...

I was having flax n chia seeds but stopped these today. As although they are healthy I think they may be contributing to troubles. I try to have a week off foods to see if things improve but so far nothing is working for me..

I think if we have bloating, wind and discomfort with odd bowel habits we have to look at foods that we eat...my mum drives me crackers because she just accepts bad bowels.. But at 80 who can blame her for not wanting to change??

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That generation may be the longest living generation of all! I have read somewhere at least. I'm sorry @donnellysdogs, to hear the drugs aren't working as well as you hoped? Maybe after a couple of more weeks they have? (I just started working fulltime again, so haven't been in here as I am adapting to the shock of less time).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That generation may be the longest living generation of all! I have read somewhere at least. I'm sorry @donnellysdogs, to hear the drugs aren't working as well as you hoped? Maybe after a couple of more weeks they have? (I just started working fulltime again, so haven't been in here as I am adapting to the shock of less time).

You made me laugh!! I'm trying to adapt to the opposite of you... Got too much time on my hands now. Due to the new meds (2nd round now of new meds) not working I have to use an oral enema every 3 days to emoty the whole of my gut and end up having to be near a loo for 48 hours and not being able to go out!! Bored out of my brain with a horrible stomach!!
Still finding time to concentrate on massaging my mastectomy scar off my ribcage so hopefully that will be a benefit!!

Now having lacto free smoothies or soups... In the end I bought a cuisinart soup maker and blender and ice cube crusher to help with the new eating. This new machine is absolutely superb and even cleans itself!! So having to include lacto free yogurts and milk to try and get food to go through my stomach without making me sick or nauseous... Got to say that love the Cuisinart Soup Maker. Makes enough for 6 servings of everything so can easily freeze soups as they don't get any cream in them. They are better soups than I have ever tasted anywhere and all cooked in the machine as well...best buy I have have made.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, a good thing about you having some time @donnellysdogs, is that you come in here and write your wonderful and interesting posts!

Yeah, soup making is a bit of an art and craft isn't it? And there is nothing quite like a wonderful soup.

Talking about smoothies, have you seen those docos about juicing for health by this terrific Aussie guy

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

And there is a just as good number two doco - Fat, sick and nearly dead 2. He has some great animation scenes talking about food and juice fasting in both of them. (I love those docos.) He is enormously inspirational. But, saying that, as diabetics we have a much more strained relationship with juices! Due to the fact that an orange, or an apple can make a HUGE difference to taste, I have found, but we have problems with that much carbohydrate in something that does not fill you up either.

As a way to getting off dairy, if anyone wanted to try going dairy-free - a wee juice fast could be quite a good nourishing way to do it. Cheese-free and get into the kale?(The idea that juicing is just a way of getting liquid during a fast, and massive amounts of vitamins and minerals via the massive amounts of greens you are juicing up and drinking.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bought the carbs and cals book for smoothies. Will have a look at your link now as well.
Made lovely broccoli soup (with turmeric added in too!) yesterday and blueberry, romaine lettuce, whey, yogurt, ginger and melon smoothie yesterday. Froze the smoothies but then defrosted two overnight in the fridge so lovely this morning for our breakfast. Didn't have to break up ice cubes to put in them either.

It's not so bad but I miss my treat of a yumyum in Waitrose w itch my free coffee-lol!! Used to look forward to that but nowadays I just send hubby so I can avoid the yearning for that free coffee and treat..... Gggrrrr!!

The carbs and cal book for smoothie recipes and the breakdown of ingredients for carbs and especially for me the protein is highly recommended.

Reactions: 2 people