DATE WITH CONSULTANT !!!

hazey276

And no i don't mean i was taking him out to dinner lol :) . I had my first meeting with a consultant in diabetes yesterday. It was quite bizarre, unlike my own GP, that he actually sat and listened to and considered my input into my treatment. Anyway, he went over my diabetic history and he asked a few telling questions like:

"why when the metformin wasn't working and obviously causing you severe stomach upsets was you still prescribed it ?" Don't know. :shock:
"why was you only told to test twice a fortnight ?" Don't know (cost probably). :eek:
"why when i've complained about my feet problems did he never examine them or refer me to someone who would ?" Don't know. (he might not like looking at feet !). :)
"why was you told to use the same needle between six and eight times to inject with when you should change it for each injection ?" Don't know. :shock:
"why did he laugh when i told him about my ED problems ?" Don't know (cos he thought it was funny i suppose !). :(
"what was the result of my C-Peptide test to determine if i am type 1 or type 2 ?" Don't know (never had one). :shock:

He has now said that i am, in his opinion, definately type 1 and the test will prove it. I'll just be glad to not have the permanant upset stomachs from the metformin and he has now put me on Levemir and Novorapid. He said he wouldn't tell me what to do but i may find that there is a surgery closer to my house than the one i'm under at present (can't think what he means by that !!). :)

If any of you are on the above two insulins could you let me know whst success or disasters you've had whilst on it.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies !!!!!!!!!

Hazey :D :D :D

hazey276

Thamks SarahQ, It was just nice to be "heard" for a change and not be dictated to. And on reflection the evidence was there all the time it's just that i wasn't experienced enough to see it but that's why we rely on the professionals to help us, (well if you've got a decent one that is), i suppose. :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Great stuff Hazey,
ive now been on novorapid for 3 weeks and im getting there,ive had no readings above 7 in the last 2 weeks and i dont need to feed the insulin,
I have found the collins carb counter great and also think like a pancreas which is a great book,and also reading this forum
Hope u can now get good control :D
p.s i like the sound of your consultant hehe

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I'd definitely like a date with your consultant!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hazey,
I'm so pleased for you. I know just how long you have been struggling against appalling advice from a GP who must surely be one of the worst that any forum member has ever complained about. Your consultant appears to be well on the ball so just stick with his advice - especially the bit about looking for a different GP! Just remember that your consultant will be able to get you on the right tracks but will not be the one to provide your ongoing diabetes care - that will be your GP, so make sure you get a different one.

hazey276

Sorry for the delay in getting back !! Now steady on jem with the dating lark , you're a happily married lady i believe :) . And thanks Dennis, the consultant said how well i'd done to get my levels down so quickly from mid to high twenties when first diagnosed to my last HBA1c which was 6.3, (no small part played by you and all the other knowledgeable people on the site), since i'd been on the wrong medication all along and which inevitably ended up putting me in hospital for a week until i was put on insulin which was the only thing that worked

My wife took the letter into my surgery to get my new medication and he was in the reception at the time. He took one look at the letter and said "this won't be ready for a few days as i'm busy." She, knowing that i'm changing GP's let him have it good style, (wish i'd have been there to see it). Rang today to see if it was ready and was told that he is "still dealing with it and i would have to be patient and phone back towards the end of the week." So i'm off to pastures new with a new GP. I know one of my neighbours is diabetic and he says his GP is fantastic and lets the diabetic clinic deal with all that stuff and he is there for all the other rudimentary stuff he needs. so the paper work will be in the post asap.

thanks to you all again !!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Hazey

hazey276

hazey276 said:
Sorry for the delay in getting back !! Now steady on jem with the dating lark , you're a happily married lady i believe :) . And thanks Dennis, the consultant said how well i'd done to get my levels down so quickly from mid to high twenties when first diagnosed to my last HBA1c which was 6.3, (no small part played by you and all the other knowledgeable people on the site), since i'd been on the wrong medication all along and which inevitably ended up putting me in hospital for a week until i was put on insulin which was the only thing that worked

My wife took the letter into my surgery to get my new medication and he was in the reception at the time. He took one look at the letter and said "this won't be ready for a few days as i'm busy." She, knowing that i'm changing GP's let him have it good style, (wish i'd have been there to see it). Rang today to see if it was ready and was told that he is "still dealing with it and i would have to be patient and phone back towards the end of the week." So i'm off to pastures new with a new GP. I know one of my neighbours is diabetic and he says his GP is fantastic and lets the diabetic clinic deal with all that stuff and he is there for all the other rudimentary stuff he needs. so the paper work will be in the post asap.

thanks to you all again !!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Hazey

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hope you kept a copy of the consultant's letter to take to your new GP - pity if it gets binned :evil:

Trinkwasser

RESULT!!!

Yes I once had something similar happen, the consultant rolled his eyes when I told him who was my GP and suggested rather robustly that I get another one. When I told him he was the only one they would let me see (due to the village I then lived in) he told me a couple of his colleagues were setting up a new alternative surgery in the town and I should go there immediately before their list was full.

However you may find your complaint gets nowhere, they stilll tend to close ranks to protect even the least competent and most dangerous colleague.

One thing I'd definitely advise, get copies of your medical notes or at least ask your new doctor to let you read them. There may be stuff in there you didn't know he'd written.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
*cough*

I actually rather innocently and sweetly meant an appointment :)

So glad you have had the result you needed and also YAY for wifey ... good on her!

x