dead leg 29/04/2011

bretty

hi , i have now been a type one diabetic for 11 months on 4 injections a day 3 nova at 9units an 1 levamer at 18 units, the last 3/4 weeks my left leg has felt really dead almost like a led weight,it doesnt hurt so much its more of a aching pain. i normaly feel it most at night, but today 29/04/2011 it is alot more aching then usual. there is no swelling ,red marks, or visible marks on my leg. i am not sure what to do as i do not want to be to over dramatic and got to hospital but on the other hand i dnt want to be to layed back when it could be something serious. i would be greatfull for any answers/info/suggestions tonight so i no what to do. many thanks brett

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Call NHS Direct 0845 4647 and explain this to them, see what they suggest.

bretty

thank very much, my mobile is playing up and i dnt have a house phone but i will hople to a phone box thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I would do exactly what Sue has said........your problem could be absolutely anything, even serious, therefore you should consult with those who are able to offer advice and assistance immediately.

bretty

ok thank you, i will pop round to the phone box or my mums to phone it now does any one no if this is a 24 hour phone line i take it it would be.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
NHS Direct is a dedicated non stop 24 hr HelpLine.......set up specifically for people to obtain medical advice online or on the phone.

You can access it here if you are not up to going out :

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

cugila

Master
Dislikes
That's good.....there is little anybody here can do. It is better to be safe than sorry, especially as it's the BH and weekend. Please let us know how you get on........

bretty

i was told by my out of hours doctor that she reckons the muscles in my legs are very tight and tender and a good massarge and accupunter will do the trick so nothing to much to worry about.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Can you do any of the foot-circling exercises? eg

Sit comfortably - I do this in my comfy chair - raise your foot off the ground (doesn't have to be high), point the toe, circle toe to the left ten times, then to the right ten times, the point the toe again and flex the foot up and down (ceiling/floor) ten times. Stop and rest whenever it feels uncomfortable.

I do these exercises about 3 times a day, whenever I think about it, and I'm up to 30 of each now. They increase flexibility and get the circulation going. You'll feel the pull in your shin and thigh.

If you really can't do them even 5 times because of stiffness and pain, I'd chase up the HCPs again!

If you've got a good basic moisturising cream, you could give the leg a gentle massage yourself, working up from the ankle. You don't have to push hard - even a gentle stroking-upwards motion will help.

Let us know how you go on!

Viv 8)