Deadly DKA...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Had some very bad news today. My fiancee and my friends daughter has just passed away. She was 18 years old and had been type 1 for 7 years. She never looked after it at all, would often go out on drinking binges without ever taking her injections with her. In and out of A&E in DKA on so many occasions. I gave her a fair few severe talking tos about the dangers of DKA and complications later on in life. To say I am gutted is an understatement

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Oh that’s terrible news to receive - big hug from me.. just brings it all home but appreciate that you said what you did with her best interests at heart x

Reactions: kev-w

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to read this. Teenagers are a worry at the best of times, but you have just brought home to me how difficult it is to raise teenagers who have a chronic health problem, particularly T1. Thanks for sharing. I hope your message makes others think about looking after themselves. It's all too easy to think you are indestructible at that age.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I reading often there is a rise of teenagers and young people sticking their head in the sand regarding being diabetic. I believe that there need to be more done when youngster are being diagnosed on the psychological side of acceptance. Let me see what happens when DKA sets in and where they end up. I also blame the social media circus. Youngsters have to be perfect and slim and in order to stay skinny young girls skip their insulin injections.
Very very sad trend really

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear this, keep safe yourself. Can't think of appropriate words to say...........so Mels cat

Reactions: Diakat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a young T1 local man pass away a few months ago. It is fair to say the ripples from that even went a long way and travelled deeply amongst the community. It's such a tragic waste of a budding life.

Condolences to you all @porl69

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also blame the social media circus. Youngsters have to be perfect and slim and in order to stay skinny young girls skip their insulin injections.
Very very sad trend really
Totally agree with all of your post, but have highlighted this bit because it's so important.

I recently read a newspaper article about Kate Moss. There were photos of her back in the days when she said 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' She looked awful, emaciated. Then there was a photo of her in a bikini now. She is absolutely gorgeous now! With a lovely figure!

It's so sad that young women are making themselves ill trying to be too thin for their bodies to be healthy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Such sad news :(
My condolences to all xx

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read that Porl, terrible news :( condolences to all.

:(

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sad, and such terrible news. You must have all worried so much about her, and to have this happen is such a shame, Sounds as if you did the best you could, though.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad to read this. My condolences to all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A tragic loss of Young life. My condolences @porl69 .

Laid to rest a T1 friend of mine recently. We were in a band together. He had a couple of complications..(only 55.)
It hits home when it's someone you know..

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@porl69 . So sorry to hear such sad news. You tried and that’s all you could have done.
Hits home how much more there is to diabetes. You just cannot ignore it but with so many exciting things in life at that age it’s easily done.
Hugs to all.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@porl69 sorry to read this. Open her story will help someone else realise the fine line we walk. Hugs.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So sorry, @por69, it seems such an incomprehensible loss when someone you know dies, and especially if you’ve tried to stop it happening.
Hugs, and more, and hugs for her family. So sad!

Reactions: porl69

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Terrible news, heard about a similar case in the newspaper about a 20 year old female who said she doesn't do needles and was type 1 passed away, more definitely needs to be done to psychologically educate teenagers/young people on diabetes dangers

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry for all involved... My deepest condolences...