Dealing with Ketones

Danpope4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
High blood suagrs, slow walkers and vegetables.
So the past few days I've had some higher than normal blood sugars. I use my normal correction ratio however due to the ketones that I had my blood sugars won't drop down to desired levels. So I was wondering how others would counter this? Would you give extra insulin or would you do more regular blood tests after to see how it's dropping. Would appreciate any comments as high blood sugars are my least favourite thing, especially when I have to bike to work in the morning. I use a Insulin pump if you wondering.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Danpope4 When I have high sugars above 13, I increase my correction dose as high sugars can cause insulin resistance. It's very common to need a larger than normal correction dose, BUT obviously you should be extremely careful so that you don't go too low.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Danpope4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
High blood suagrs, slow walkers and vegetables.
Follow the sick day rules on dealing with ketones - http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1_Sickdays_LDC_JAN2015.pdf

Ketones are caused by insufficient insulin, so they require a larger correction dose.

If you're not familiar with / confident in applying sick day rules, call 111 for advice.

What are you testing ketones with (urine or blood)? What kind of level ketones are you seeing?

I use a FreeStyle Optium and the other day I had ketone levels of 1.6 and 1.4