Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just updating on iphone, will check ipad tomorrow...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It makes sense. Psychologically speaking, I suspect it is much easier for people to give up on sugars than carbohydrates.

Maybe. But practically speaking I think it's the other way around, because grain based products are so pernicious. I can easily find artificially sweetened products to satisfy my sweet tooth, it's much more difficult to eliminate bread, pasta and cake, or spot when flour has been used to thicken a sauce.

It is my strong opinion that the real enemy is flour. After all, it's drummed into all of our heads "that grains are healthy" while "sugar is bad for you". Working out that pasta is bad for you was a huge shock, and took some readjustment.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't the GI of grain always too high for diabetic safety?

When I cook a stew I can safely eat the dumplings provided they are freshly cooked. Old dumplings are dynamite. New dumplings have suet still in them.

I have a few examples of eating flour safely.

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can easily find artificially sweetened products to satisfy my sweet tooth, it's much more difficult to eliminate bread, pasta and cake, or spot when flour has been used to thicken a sauce.

I think you've just made my point, i.e. that eliminating sugar would be an easier first step towards lowering carbs.
Unless you're suggesting that it's better to start with the most difficult task (such as eliminating starches)? :)

The discussion wasn't really about what are the worst nutritional culprits, but how people might find it easier to tackle the challenge of significantly lowering their carbohydrate intake. I still maintain that starting from sugars then progressing to starches is easier than the other way around, both psychologically and logistically. Some individuals might find it ok to do both at the same time, but for others the gently gently approach is necessary.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still maintain that starting from sugars then progressing to starches is easier than the other way around, both psychologically and logistically. Some individuals might find it ok to do both at the same time, but for others the gently gently approach is necessary.

I find I am in agreement a lot today. I mostly gave up both at the same time. It was a whole lot easier to do when I found enjoyable alternatives first. Stir fries for example or real meat with veggies etc.

Reactions: 4 people

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I am in agreement a lot today. I mostly gave up both at the same time. It was a whole lot easier to do when I found enjoyable alternatives first. Stir fries for example or real meat with veggies etc.

It's nice to agree!

Actually, one of the reasons I'm enjoying this forum very much is because there seem to be so many nice people. Even when there's a disagreement, it remains civilised and respectful.

I spend time in forums to learn from others, debate ideas, and create a support network, not to be rude or calling names or all sort of uncouth behaviour that seems all too common in certain places. Not for me, I'm a gentle Mediterranean petal :happy:

By the way, like you I also gave up both at the same time, so I know it can be done. For me it was a case of being diagnosed, crying into my porridge, crying even harder into my pasta, bawling my eyes out into my pizza, then running out of tears after two weeks and deciding to do something about it.

Sadly there's diabetes in my family and I am all too aware of its consequences. I knew that the wonderful Mediterranean diet just wasn't enough to slow down its progress, so I decided to try the LCHF regime. And what a resounding success it was. Life at 30g carbs is marvellous.

Reactions: 6 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Interesting perhaps we were more anti sugar than anti starch ? I thought we were both, though I do wonder if for folk at the start of their low carb journey who are on a lot of both it may be easier to eliminate sugar first and then move on to starch Mind you I know plenty of folk who did both very rapidly !

I think this might true. I am now LcHf, but diagnosed 7 months ago, advised to reduce / eat better carbs and avoid all potatoes except boiled by diabetic hospital. Gradually I found that through testing and advise given on this forum I began to realise how relevant carbs are to better blood sugar levels, so 3 months ago started lowish carbing but gradually carbs are getting lower and lower. Not sure I could have done it from the start.

Reactions: 12 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think this might true. I am now LcHf, but diagnosed 7 months ago, advised to reduce / eat better carbs and avoid all potatoes except boiled by diabetic hospital. Gradually I found that through testing and advise given on this forum I began to realise how relevant carbs are to better blood sugar levels, so 3 months ago started lowish carbing but gradually carbs are getting lower and lower. Not sure I could have done it from the start.

Yes some folk do better with a step-wise approach eg.
1) stop all sugar
2) cut out bread and pasta
3) out goes the cerials and rice -and so on
others hit it 'cold turkey' from the start

Reactions: 7 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well tomorrow i'm off to london for the finals of the BMJ 2014 medical awards -our team is in the final 5 for both diabetes team of the year, and primary care team of the year, all based on this research.
Evidence the Low carb approach is gathering momentum- I hope !

Reactions: 28 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well tomorrow i'm off to london for the finals of the BMJ 2014 medical awards -our team is in the final 5 for both diabetes team of the year, and primary care team of the year, all based on this research.
Evidence the Low carb approach is gathering momentum- I hope !
Good Luck:):cool::cool::)

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I hope you win. All the best :)

BMJ Awards 2014
No trophy I'm afraid , initially a bit disappointed I'll admit- but how amazing that a low carb for diabetes project should end up in the top five in two categories for the most important medical awards in the land ! The editor of the BMJ herself read out the citation about our work and told me privately about her interest in our research.
Before the ceremony Dr John Briffa of 'Beat the diet trap'. Book fame came for a two hour meeting to chat about the low carb thing. He is well aware of this forum and it's huge following, telling me a number of the contributors know more than some health professionals about diabetes (I agree) !!!
Finally just to say thanks for all the support I've had from forum members. What a long way we have come from my being removed as a possible blog troll last year.

Reactions: 34 people