Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP and DN are now accepting this approach having looked at my results on LCHF for last 6 months but are still reluctant to pass the message on to other patients. I offered my services as a mentor to other patients but was turned down because of patient confidentiality.

How can we get this message out to other diabetics? It would save the NHS thousands on reduced meds as well as the complications.

Reactions: 11 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It would save the NHS thousands on reduced meds as well as the complications.

It should be a no-brainer shouldn't it? But [cynic] NICE need to play ball and the drug companies would lose profits. Similar arguments with statins. Oops did I say that out loud? [/cynic].

Reactions: 5 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I think The problem is, the NHS policy / guidelines do not recommend low carb higher fat diets. Thus no NHS employee can recommend it (though many accept it when patients show good BG results).

I guess any pct / Dr surgery can do their own trials, like southportGp, but in doing so have to do detailed follow up checks. These checks are obviously an added expense, but southportGp is showing how patients health is improving, hopefully more gps will start to do this..... And then maybe the policy makers will take note.

Reactions: 11 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone spoken with Diabetes UK who should be our lobby group on this topic?

I myself have lost 8kg on lchf and tied in with weight training, have seen a body fat reduction so far from 25% to 15% in two months. BMI changed from 25.4 to 24.2. More importantly, my blood glucose levels are far more consistent and I require much less insulin to maintain that, which is what we are driven to do by all other research.

If nothing else, lchf for type ones looks to be the the best way to me to maintain the balance and reduce the risk of complications.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone spoken with Diabetes UK who should be our lobby group on this topic?

I myself have lost 8kg on lchf and tied in with weight training, have seen a body fat reduction so far from 25% to 15% in two months. BMI changed from 25.4 to 24.2. More importantly, my blood glucose levels are far more consistent and I require much less insulin to maintain that, which is what we are driven to do by all other research.

If nothing else, lchf for type ones looks to be the the best way to me to maintain the balance and reduce the risk of complications.

Many people have contacted Diabetes UK.
So far, there has been no change. Although a couple of months ago they did issue some blurb comparing LC with normal NHS guideline diets. I thought the document (sorry, don't have a link, but you can probably find it on their site) was badly written and did nothing but fudge the issue.

The problem seems to be that Diabetes UK has a number of sources of funding that will not benefit frompatients taking responsibility for their own health, reducing medication, and avoiding carbs.

Their published benefactors in 2014 are listed here. Note the pharmaceutical companies:
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-UK-Professional-Conference-2014/Sponsors/

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What I find fascinating is that a low carbohydrate diet (and using only complex, low GI carbs) was what I started with 25 years ago. I'd love to see the data that pushed the endocrine services part of the NHS into what the current recommendations are.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What I find fascinating is that a low carbohydrate diet (and using only complex, low GI carbs) was what I started with 25 years ago. I'd love to see the data that pushed the endocrine services part of the NHS into what the current recommendations are.

Me too pretty much 30years ago. The "big fat surprise" gives a lot of info as to how the diet advice came about worldwide.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't have diabetes!
I have a condition that carbs and sugars are harmful to me. My condition mimics diabetes as control of my blood glucose levels cannot spike or hypo.
Isn't that the same as T2?
Why have my consultant and dietician recommended a low carb diet? (and it works!)
when I was misdiagnosed T2, I got the eatwell plate! (Didn't work!)
I have through my trials and tribulations had many a discussion with other diabetics, and the same old rubbish is still being advised, though the tide is turning, and gradually the message is getting out there!
The last discussion my T2 wife had with our GP she had been told to eat less carbs rather than low carb! No mention of fat or what to cook with etc.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
The "big fat surprise" gives a lot of info as to how the diet advice came about worldwide.

What an interesting book (The Big Fat Surprise). Not so much concerning diabetes, but they (back in the 70s) were so concerned about reducing heart attacks they ignored (covered up) all the other factors (cancer increase, diabetic increase, other fatalities etc.).

Reactions: 5 people

maisiesgranny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness!
Update on the low carb in general practice research we did- Low carb does works longer term!
The full research paper can be seen here;

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
the idea was that you could print off copies for any doubting or interested health care proffessionals.

Some of the responses doubted the results and were not impressed by 'short term improvements' and wondered could the sheme be extended?
Well now i can answer both points
  • The latest results after over a year for the original group members on the low carb diet show very similar results; average weight loss 8.4kg, average reduction in HbA1c of 8mmol/mol so the members of the group still have an excellent average HbA1c of 42.7 mmol/mol.:D

• We were awarded a CCG grant to start a small evening clinic and have now helped 38 people with type two diabetes to loose an average of 9 Kg in weight which has brought about an average improvement in HbA1c of 10 mmol/mol, not to mention the reductions in cholesterol and the pride those folk have in their achievements:joyful:
I hope to have a further paper published in the Diabesity in Practice paper very soon
While i'm on- have you seen the blog another GP Katharine Morrison has done on this subject at
http://diabetesdietblog.com/ ?:)
thanks!!!! great help. i am especially interested that some of the folk in your trial came off reflux meds. i have been in a real pickle all this year as i have had chest infections, long lasting coughs, and in the summer breathing problems. end result reflux. maybe caused by all the stress. low carb high fat diet had been doing me good. no meds needed, but to stop my reflux i have gone back to carbs. not working!!! does not help that my dn has been off for ages with a fractured wrist. maybe i'll just try the lchf again and see. going to see a respiratory consultant next week to see if anything worse is going on. had to wait ages for appt. just as well i have very supportive friends or i would be seriously depressed by now.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Hi
My GP and DN are now accepting this approach having looked at my results on LCHF for last 6 months but are still reluctant to pass the message on to other patients. I offered my services as a mentor to other patients but was turned down because of patient confidentiality.

How can we get this message out to other diabetics? It would save the NHS thousands on reduced meds as well as the complications.
ther

Hello there - that really makes me cross, when you have offered to be a mentor and GPs refuse; I was asking for one either a diabetic or/and coeliac which were both
refused to me from the gp and the coeliac society; if it wasnt for this site and some lovely helpful people I'd have been lost. Thank you all xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You could ask whether your GP runs an Expert Patient programme? If no, ask them why not?

Many practices do..

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Apparently not; our practice has six gps all leaving by the end of the year! What hope of anything positive at the moment :0
will tackle any new gp that arrives, have no fear!

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou so much for this...it makes very interesting reading indeed. I've been lchf for 10 weeks now and my readings down from high teens to average of 6.7. I've lost a stone and a half too during this time. My last Hba1c was 66. I can't wait to see my drs face when I go back for follow up...by the way my GP is type 2 and a low carber himself...its slowly getting the message across I think that this way of eating does really work
That is so great - if you have time perhaps you could print your GP a copy of the article off
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
and add the work came in the top five for the finals of the British Medical journal Diabetes team of the year 2014, also I have great stats on well over 60 cases now with very similar results. Many folk have mentioned how much more energetic they feel too.
PS 'Starch is concentrated sugar!'

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great news! KUTGW

It's relatively easy to persuade folk of the benefits of carb reduction - but the panic sets in when the necessity of increased fat to maintain energy levels becomes apparent.

How did you get the "increased fat" message across?
I explain that despite increasing healthy fats the average cholesterol levels came down in the patients I have monitored, also fats can contain vitamins ADE&K whereas carbs have no essential vitamins that cannot be acquired easily elsewhere, finally that fats are vital in satiation -making you happy that you have eaten enough.

Reactions: 9 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Nice paper. :D I'm going to give a copy to my diabetic nurse :nurse: when I see her again in January. She was sceptical of my diet last time I saw her.

However, I have a question regarding a statement in the "what to eat" section. It says: "Cheese: only in moderation – it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein." I'm pretty sure there's not much carbs in cheese. Am I wrong?:nailbiting: