Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
The problem with the low carb diet is how easy is it to follow for the long term.

I have been on a low carb diet now for around 8 months. After a couple of months I was loosing too much weight so upped my fat content, thus started LCHF. My BS levels are much lower with low carb. Now on LCHF I feel this is sustainable for life. I don't get hungry between meals (because the fat sustains my energy levels for longer).

I have found eating low carb is very easy to follow, except sometimes when wanting a light meal when out. Most cafe and coffee shops have nothing low carb, but luckily pubs do. Any pub / restaurant that has steak and chips on the menu will always swap the chips for a salad. Steak and chips or steak and salad.... A no brainer really which is the healthiest!

I would say though, that LCHF is more expensive, especially if choosing organic and grass fed animal products. But this is offset by not snacking between meals. Since I have been on LCHF my cholesterol has improved as has my energy, strength and general feeling of well being.

Reactions: 19 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on a low carb diet now for around 8 months. After a couple of months I was loosing too much weight so upped my fat content, thus started LCHF. My BS levels are much lower with low carb. Now on LCHF I feel this is sustainable for life. I don't get hungry between meals (because the fat sustains my energy levels for longer).

I have found eating low carb is very easy to follow, except sometimes when wanting a light meal when out. Most cafe and coffee shops have nothing low carb, but luckily pubs do. Any pub / restaurant that has steak and chips on the menu will always swap the chips for a salad. Steak and chips or steak and salad.... A no brainer really which is the healthiest!

I would say though, that LCHF is more expensive, especially if choosing organic and grass fed animal products. But this is offset by not snacking between meals. Since I have been on LCHF my cholesterol has improved as has my energy, strength and general feeling of well being.

:) i so wish i had this problem..

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
me too :) Maybe one day !
@zand your are always putting a smile to my face,:)
Especially the other day when you mentioned LUFC, I thought it was another new type diet until the penny dropped.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi You're not the only one to laugh when I say I'm a Leeds fan :rolleyes: You've made me laugh too now:) (sorry off topic, I'm going now)

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It works for me too. I've lost 2 stone in 12 weeks and very hard to stop losing. I never thought id be saying that...I'm at target weight now. The easiest diet ever and you feel so good on it..never hungry

that's fantastic!! sincerely pleased for you alliebee :)..being obese all my life, i know how difficult it is to lose weight. can't believe it took me this long to find LCHF

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
that's fantastic!! sincerely pleased for you alliebee :)..being obese all my life, i know how difficult it is to lose weight. can't believe it took me this long to find LCHF

Yes, it's wonderful and depressing at the same time. Why doesn't the medical establishment admit that a LCHF diet can be the ideal diet for a type 2 diabetic. For me, I lost weight, got my blood glucose under control, improved my blood pressure, lowered my plasma triglycerides and improved my cholesterol. I wish I had known all this 30 years ago.

Reactions: 15 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Except that not all calories are equal and that you can lose weight eating Low Carb (which automatically means higher fat), whilst eating a normal amount of calories rather than a restricted amount.

It's surprisingly easy to keep off higher carb foods. It's not a case of is it easy or isn't it. It's about whether you choose to do it and what it's worth to you. I've been doing it for three months and have been very surprised how easy it is.

Likewise, overeating is a choice. What I've noticed on a Low Carb, Higher Fat (LCHF) diet is that I am fuller for longer around meals. I don't feel the need to munch on snacks as I'm not hungry. I could choose to overeat on this lifestyle and consume 3,500-4,000 calories a day, and I'm pretty sure I'd gain weight. I choose to eat enough and surprisingly am full.

No diet, regardless of how you look at it is "for free". You will always have to make a decision and stick with it. That's where your choice comes in.

Tim I agree the idea of being free to choose is important - On balance I have more energy and feel fitter of carbs -weighing up how much I enjoy them against feeling well, I realize any enjoyment is fleeting ( and the longer I am low carb the less I miss them) and so I do without the carbs. Mind you I have had to slip up many times to learn my lesson!
I've noticed for many patients its two steps forward, one back, but really its not a matter of telling folk what to do, they must choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it's wonderful and depressing at the same time. Why doesn't the medical establishment admit that a LCHF diet can be the ideal diet for a type 2 diabetic. For me, I lost weight, got my blood glucose under control, improved my blood pressure, lowered my plasma triglycerides and improved my cholesterol. I wish I had known all this 30 years ago.
Yes I am part of the medical establishment and see the benefits of the approach just as you explain on a daily basis and yet it's so very difficult to break through the existing dogma. However gradually the approach is spreading and at least now many professionals accept its fair for patients to choose this approach
Whenever I can I suggest doctors visit this site to read the success stories and see how well informed many of you are.Diabetes UK are asking for suggestions for the next national conference I feel they should do something on low carb and have e mailed them today to say so

Reactions: 19 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The medical establishment do not have to admit this diet is ideal for type 2 diabetics, they are concerned with the lack of long-term studies from the LCHF diet. There is not a lot that can be done about this situation.
I have learned from people like you that have revealed so many truths,facts and results from your LCHF diet.
In time "establishments" will soon update their policies regarding diets and our lifestyle.
Many members say don't knock the LCHF diet unless you have tried it. ( you don't have to drive a ferrari to know it,s a winner)
I have not tried the LCHF diet, however I fully support what you say. ( I am on a controlled vegan diet)
The more I read from post etc about your diet; the more interesting the facts become.
Also sometimes I may start a post that may look negative about the diet yet ends up showing more positives.

Reactions: 5 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
A thought...low carb/LCHF might be a way to manage the obesity crisis in this country as well and it seems like a ketogenic diet (hardcore LCHF) might be a good option for optimising cancer treatment and might as well work in Alzheimer's, Parkinson and other neurodegenerative diseases.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of people have asked me how I've lost so much weight and reversed my diabetes. I usually tell them I've cut out sugar (as much as you can) and processed foods even tho I'm LCHF.

I do this as I've noticed the media portraying LCHF, caveman or Paleolithic diet as 'faddy.'

For me, it's a much better way of life.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A thought...low carb/LCHF might be a way to manage the obesity crisis in this country as well and it seems like a ketogenic diet (hardcore LCHF) might be a good option for optimising cancer treatment and might as well work in Alzheimer's, Parkinson and other neurodegenerative diseases.
There does seem to be some evidence that increased omega3 intake can reduce Alzheimers. I wonder whether there is any research on whether reduced carbs and increased fats in the diet would also have an effect?

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
It works for me too. I've lost 2 stone in 12 weeks and very hard to stop losing. I never thought id be saying that...I'm at target weight now. The easiest diet ever and you feel so good on it..never hungry
After years of trying everything, including surgery, I have decided to try Low Carb. I'm encouraged by tales of success here. I'd love to lose 2 stone in 12 weeks! Watch this space

Reactions: 8 people

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Seems fine so far.

My aim is primarily good control; weight loss would be an advantage. I've been testing the B G before and after meals for the last two days - very satisfactory results!