Defatizing - 8 weeks in

pixor

Well, that's me at 8 weeks on the diet today:-

Starting fasting blood sugar levels: 12-14 mmol/l (216 – 252 mg/dl)
Fasting blood sugar levels now: regularly around 6 mmol/l (108 mg/dl)
Starting weight: 95.7 kilos (211 lbs or 15 stone 1 lb)
Weight now: 89.4 kilos (197 lbs or 14 stone 1 lb)
Starting BMI: 27.68
BMI now: 25.84

I'm pretty pleased :)

I've still a way to go before I reach my goal of mid-BMI, but if you look at my blood sugar levels (if this chart works...), then that's what I'm most pleased with.

I found the diet quite hard to start with. I was hungry most of the time, and it took a huge amount of will power to continue. But, after a few days I started to feel much more energetic. The diabetic “fog” that descends when my blood sugar levels are high just evaporated. By the end of week 2 I was (mostly) not feeling hungry anymore.

Apart from a lapse around my birthday, I’ve found it straightforward to keep to the plan. The difficulty is eating out. Unless I chose very carefully, it was easy to eat food with hidden carbohydrate or sugar in. I learned that I had to avoid sauces as I couldn’t know what was in them. The more “naked” the food, the better.

But I don’t feel it’s a struggle, anymore. I feel very positive about the effects I am seeing, and am due an HbA1C this week. I’ll be interested to see the result (although as HbA1C reflects an average over 90 days or so, the difference won’t be as much as I can see from my latest readings). I hope that when I show my Dr my readings, that he will feel I don’t need to start on a dose of gliclazide anymore. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Diabetes Week 8 small.png
    Diabetes Week 8 small.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,406

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck!!!

Seriously - good stuff. I've been at it 4 weeks now, and haven't lost much weight beyond the initial 1st that I lost during weeks 1 - 3.

I suspect that this diet is very efficient at losing that "belly weight", but not much else. Interesting that you've lost exactlya stone, too.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
rtee said:
So what is defatising? I'm newish to the site and to low carbing so need some help

It's a made up word for "losing weight". You'll only read it here, it's not used in the wider world (unfortunately).

youngmanfrank

Defatizing is also used to describe the effect of the Newcastle Diet,which aims to remove fat from the pancreas and liver in the belief that it is this fat which is causing your insulin insensitivity and consequently your diabetes.As the Newcastle Diet lasts 8 weeks this could be what pixor is referring to.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The Newcastle Diet referred to is actually the Newcastle Study Diet. The study was run by Prof Roy Taylor of the Magnetic Resonance Imaging department at Newcastle University, The aim was to find a diet that would remove internal fat from around the visceral organs to see if this would help control or even the reverse Type 2 diabetes.

The diet certainly works for weight loss and improving blood glucose levels, but doesn't "cure" diabetes. It seems likely that if the successful Type 2 on this diet doesn't watch his/her food intake, and lets the weight go back on, the BGs will rise again. But it certainly works in its stated objectives. Search "Newcastle Diet" on this site for people's experiences/diaries, and how to do it.

Prof Taylor appears on the current BBC series "The Hairy Dieters". He believes that "slimming" diets first remove the visceral fat, and has confirmed it using MRI scans, which is why weight loss is good for diabetes. Simplistically, internal fat interferes with the working of the pancreas.

Hope this helps! :wink:

Viv 8)