1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Defatizing with Slimfast Gunk by Bob

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by bowell, Aug 15, 2011.

1. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

The Newcastle site says
    They link to the booklets available here ( M2 seems to be the relevant one conventional' heart healthy 'advice with info on portion sizes and amounts,)
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/publications/publ ... e&q=weight
    Its been a long hard road for some of you, I think it takes a dedication to stick to that diet.

It would be interesting to see how some of you did if you now used the conventional diet.. after all the point was to reduce insulin resistance and if you've actually done that then you should be able to eat a higher carb diet without huge spikes.

2. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've cheated a couple of times (incl. once this weekend - again... :oops:) and have noticed that my post meal (1hr) spikes are now much lower than they used to be.

This is good.

I've also noticed that my BG returns to it's pre-meal level within 2 - 3hrs of eating.

This is also, good.

The shakes I'm using have 20g of carbs in each serving. My post shake BG's are less than they'd be if I'd eaten a normal meal w/20g carbs in it. (This needs further research - but not until I've lost a bit more weight!)

Is it permanent? Who knows. At least I now know that:

1) I CAN (and I never thought I would be able to) manage on 3 shakes a day for an extened time - no food.
    2) My fasting BG is reduced significantly after 2 weeks on this regime.
    3) I've been able to STOP oral medication an insulin (I'm T2).

This is just another tool/weapon I've got at my disposal now. You can never have enough of them!

3. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

Yet the lad I talk to that did the Newcastle study we go to the same clinic

Told me he followed the Optifast diet to the End ie drop one meal out at a time ?
    and he is still off all his DB Meds

Anyway thats what i will do Makes a lot more sence to me than just dropping of them
    and back to your normal diet

First time in years I have not taken any diabetic meds and i do feel a lot better for it

Hard work,,,, To be honest was and still is the easiest diet I have ever done I have not felt
    any hunger at all

The Shakes are not Unpleasant at all few I really like
    I do like having my shake for breakfast That’s one thing I will keep up :wink:

7lbs
    6lbs
    2lbs
    1, 1/2lbs
    6lb This week must have been some of that hospital food from last week

4. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done Bob, that's over 22lb total loss despite the hospital's attempts to sabotage you! :lol: And this morning's FBG was great!

Well done Blacksmarty, too. It's looking as if this diet can really work.

It will be interesting to watch the follow-up over the next few months and see what happens to you all - please keep posting. It's the coming off meds that I find intriguing.

Viv 8)

5. bowell

Top tip with the Chocolate Shake knock it up as normal with water shake it all up
    Then pour into large Mug

Pop it in microwave and nuke it 2 min for ours
    keep an eye on it as does not take long to boil over :oops:

Hot Chocolate Shake ummmmmmmmmmm

Thanks
    Plus its doing what I wanted coming off my wheelchair belly first
    Anyone else finding this with Belly shrinking first ??

6. blacksmarty1

blacksmarty1 Type 2 · Active Member

Well Bob what a result for you this week.........fantastic..........and its off the ''Wheelchair Belly'' too!!!
    You should be well pleased ''wi yer sen'' as we say in Yorkshire.

Thanks for the info on coming off the plan that's really helpful and as you said makes sense too.

I love the banana shake for breakfast, strawberry for lunch and I have got to agree with the HOT chocolate at supper.

For me I have lost mine evenly all over, so I still have the belly but a smaller one now.

Bye for now Diane

PS thanks to everyone for the support..........it really helps.

7. blacksmarty1

Hi Bob I hope everything is ok with you and that your only quiet because you are busy doing other stuff.

Well here I am at the end of the whole 8 WEEKS ..............wow I really was very doubtful of making it to the end of the first week. It has been as we have said before very easy to do and the main thing is how much healthier I feel on this program. In the last week I have lost another 3lbs so that's 33lbs altogether over the 8 weeks. That on it's own is success but the bonus will be when I get the blood checked out in a few weeks time. Till then I am going to carry on with the same routine for now and see if I can move the rest of the weight that has probably put me here.

Bye for now Diane

8. samcogle

samcogle · Well-Known Member

Hi, I've not been on here for ages and decided to re-visit. I am well impressed with the results of all your hard work. So I am now into day 2 of the diet and finding it ok although I am sitting in an office full of people eating nice things and the smell is making my mouth water :)

Thanks for all motivating me, Sam

9. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

Good luck Sam :)
    Where are you Bob :?: Hope you're OK.

10. Patch

Good luck, Sam. One thing we've pretty much all noticed, is how easy it actually is! I didn't expect to be able to stick to it, and I've really surprised myself with how well (although not 100% perfct ALL of the time...) I have managed.

Nothing to lose, eh? :wink:

11. samcogle

Thanks Daisy and Patch....nothing to lose indeed. I can't say I'm finding it easy and am having some massive cravings.....TGI at the metro centre was calling me earlier but it does pass so it can only get easier and just done my bloods and they're 4.8 so that's a definite motivator :D

12. blacksmarty1

Hi Daisy sorry meant to put Sam derrrr!
    just keep telling yourself it's only 8 weeks when you need that little extra determination. I found it helped and kept telling myself it would soon pass. The thing is it gets easier .............. then you will turn round and say that TGI is not going to catch you out when you have got this far!!!

Good Luck keep us all posted how your doing.

regards Diane

13. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

No, I'm not doing it at the moment. I just wished Sam good luck - and to everyone else who's doing it and I really admire them for their courage and willpower. The results seem worth the effort.

I have thought about replacing my usual breakfast with a shake though - I will just have to find a suitable one. I'm not sure I can find the same shakes here and will have to read up all the labels in the shop.

14. samcogle

Exactly, in the grander scheme of things, 8 weeks is nothing. Thanks again and will keep popping in :)

15. bowell

Back home moved out by the SS :D
    Moved out as work being done to house doors wheelchair bathroom ect
    Buggers put me in OAP home

Update lost 4lbs this week 8)

Managed to stick to my liquid diet so still on track
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast my normal Banana shake
    FBG today 4.7
    BG2hr+5.6

__________________________________________________-

16. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done you must be an amazing character to keep on the plan when in the mighty hands of the NHS (SS).Just keep on keeping on .So glad to hear you are ok I think quite a few of us thought you had overdone the slimming and fallen down the plug hole :lol:
    CAROL

17. minn

minn · Well-Known Member

Really glad to hear that your efforts havent been sabotaged- you're an inspiration- well done.
    M

18. Patch

Great stuff, bob - those fasting numbers are AWESOME. You are wasting away!

Chin up, mate!

19. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great to have you back, Bob!

I'd like to be in an OAP home where you are - subversion rules OK! :lol: I was going to buy my wicked cousin, who has mild dementia, a powered wheelchair! Hell's grannies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

20. bowell

I did slip one day with a scone and butter No jam ,,, tested BG did not go up that much
    just felt so guilty never I never joined in with the afternoon tea

I can say the wheelchair belly has nearly all but disappeared the whole point of the diet for me

Think I am also going to extend the diet to 12 weeks after talking with my GP yesterday
    then cut out my mid day shake for a normal meal , we have a good meals on wheels service
    so we have already looked I can order a 350Kcal Healthy meal from them
    or make the carers knock something up

Like others have said I feel very good on the diet I can honestly say never felt any hunger
    at all ,, But I do just sit in my Pit all day

Other thing I have dropped down two wheelchair seat sizes
    Wheelchair services came yesterday to replaced both of my Man wheelchairs for smaller ones , I use one for each floor and stair lift t ,,I found this helps getting around
    in and out of doorways as the wheels are closer together

Still not received the new electric wheelchair yet, told 4 or more week to go for that one

Breakfast my normal Banana shake large black coffee
    FBG today 4.9
    BG2hr+5.8

Cutting the amount of testing back now as its just getting far to boring
    Number are always much the same now ,always in normal range the Scone did pop it up to 8 but came down fast within 2hrs I was 5.6 and it was loaded with nastys But a nice treat

Will be interesting what normal food will do to my BG when i start back on that
    it has been a nice not taking my all the diabetic drugs all this time well worth the diet just for that brake

Now I have decided to extend this to 12 weeks I am now only just over half way in now :wink:

Bob

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook