Dentist...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an appointment with the dentist next thursday early morning. First time since diagnosis, first time in 3 years (so probably in for a telling off), first time with this dentist.
I'd love to stick my head under a pillow and pretend I'm not there, but that's what I did for the last week and the pain is still there, so I guess there is no other way. The problem is a molar that broke off for the biggest part 1.5 year ago. I think there's some infection going on there (although not too bad, as my bg has been almost perfect most of last week) and I expect the remains of the thing have to be extraced.
How do they do that when not much of it is left to get a grip on?
Are there things that will be different because of my (very well controlled) diabetes?
What hypo-treatment can I use while the dentist is busy, should I need any? I use the Libre, so I'll see a hypo coming long before it's there, but I have no idea what paralyzing fear plus a possible painful treatment will do to my bg so it might still be needed to use something during treatment. I was thinking undiluted lemonade, because you only need a little and I should be able to take a sip on the other side of my mouth.
Any other things you can think of? And please wish me luck, I'm scared.

Last edited:

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yikes! First off good luck with your extraction. Are you being sedated? When I had my wisdom teeth out at the hospital I was drugged and they managed to get them out despite having broken off. It took very little time to actually do and not really long enough to develop a hypo. They did get me to test just before the extraction though and as my glucose levels were high enough for hypo not to be an issue they just, for want of a better way of putting it, got stuck in lol.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
th6S6FUGMS.jpg

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This has happened to me and basically they force one of the sharp tools down in to the root and tug from there.....it is likely that breaking and snapping the remaining tooth will need to take place in order to get it all out.....

it doesn't hurt or anything but there is a lot of tugging and movement.......

the dentist has never effected my BG, despite the usual anxiety one experiences......I would run a little higher than normal.....

again though, pain wise, there is nothing during the extraction.....afterwards a bit tender...

I wish you a speedy recovery.....

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a tooth out a bit over a year ago (it was a wisdom tooth that had gotten wobbly because as it turned out there was a nasty infection under it), whilst the dentists know I am diabetic I don't believe they had to do anything different than they would for a non-diabetic person for the extraction, they got an oral surgeon in to do it rather than the actual dentist but that was only because the root was very close to one of the nerves in my face - but they'd have done that whether I was diabetic or not.
I had mine done not too long after breakfast thus making sure I wouldn't go low, I made sure my BS was at at least 8 just for safety.
The only real difference that effected what the dentist/surgeon did was to give me more antibiotics than a normal person especially after he saw the infection (it looked nasty apparently).
I think I was told not to drink for at least an hour and not to eat for longer than that, though they did say if I really needed sugar then to carefully drink something sugary. And gently rinse out my mouth a little after (note I think this is what they said but it was over a year ago so I may be imagining it)

Once the anaesthetic had kicked in I felt nothing, well apart from vague tugging.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
They use "elevators" to remove what remains. No real pain as they know what to do. Had a rear molar done and to be honest, I mourned the loss of the tooth more than I did the minor discomfort that followed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Survived, but it was very attached to me, so now it hurts. At least I know it won't get worse than it is now.

I hope it’s not painful for long x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

Hope your all good today after the session at the dentist..

Hypo stuff? I always take a bottle of liquid treatment. (Lucoade.) stroll into the clinically white environment & put it on the empty chair in the corner, where I'm invited to leave my coat or hat.. There is always a spare chair in these places...?!

It brightens up the room! :)

Reactions: Antje77