Depression

mikeysoulmate

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently broken up with my partner of 4 yrs . I am 65 and now find myself living on my own and am very lonely
i am feeling depressed and would like to find a new partner . I have been on POF so pls don't suggest it I do feel like a sad old man but i have 30yr old brain with a 65 yr old body. it is now getting me down so much that I have gone to see a counsellor . Are there anybodies out there who suffer the same effects as me

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, first question, how are your blood glucose levels?
What's POF?

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.

I have had symptoms of depression, but didn't have it!
I had real symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and stress related problems.
This was when my levels where bouncing around.
All I wanted to do was hide away, be by myself, because I wasn't very nice!
Anger, rage, shouting because I was frustrated and couldn't tolerate a lot of what other people were doing around me.

I did talk to my GP, but I was told in no uncertain way that I was not any of my symptoms! But I was, and it was because I didn't have control of my blood glucose levels.

Since I changed my diet and lifestyle, all those symptoms have disappeared!
I'm not saying this is the way for you, but do consider what you eat can have a huge effect on your health.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it's a little thing, but have you considered doing something like an evening class or joining a local club? It would get you out and about, and at least you'd have company. If you choose something you enjoy, then you might even find a potential new partner there who shares your interests.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mikeysoulmate

Hello John and welcome to the forum :) As mentioned above, here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. Ask any questions you may have and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi mikeysoulmate. Sorry to hear you are lonely! Do you have a family? POF is an ok alternative short term but i know a few ppl who had success with E-harmony! Azure is right about evening classes or something like that. Have you any hobbies? Dont let the loneliness shut you away. Plenty of ppl on here to talk to x

Reactions: 8 people

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depression sucks, no doubt about that. It is overwhelming when you feel down and it is hard as heck, but make yourself do something. Maybe that is joining a group as suggested or going for a walk. It doesn't matter what you do, but do something. When I feel down, it is tempting to lay on the sofa and think about being down then it spirals. That is precisely the time that I have to force myself to do something. Is it hard? Yes, but it does give me a mental rest and picks me up. Is everything perfect after that? No, but it is a lot better for awhile. Think of something enjoyable that you can do and do it for yourself. I wish you the best.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had the same problem the best thing to do is talk openly about feelings as others have suggested why not try and go out to classes or places where you can meet new people

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: Prem51

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I also feel depressed and lonely I try and go out everyday so I can talk to another human being I think always eating alone do's not help but life must go on .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also feel depressed and lonely I try and go out everyday so I can talk to another human being I think always eating alone do's not help but life must go on .
There always different ways to stop being lonely and depressed even though you haven't got depression, I'm not going to suggest anything that you should do.
But, what I would suggest is to try and be positive and just now and again spoil yourself and try, yes try and change your routine and don't give up.
Life does go on and, you can only do what you want to.
Find your level of how you want to live your life, and just improve it step by step.
Best wishes.

Reactions: Prem51

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I wanted to do was hide away, be by myself, because I wasn't very nice!
Anger, rage, shouting because I was frustrated and couldn't tolerate a lot of what other people were doing around me.

I did talk to my GP, but I was told in no uncertain way that I was not any of my symptoms! But I was, and it was because I didn't have control of my blood glucose levels.

Since I changed my diet and lifestyle, all those symptoms have disappeared!
I'm not saying this is the way for you, but do consider what you eat can have a huge effect on your health.

Hi Mikey - what Nosher said X 100!

Unlike you, I have the body of a sixty year old but the brain of an octugenarian (or a three year old according to your point of view!!)

But seriously, I suffered from work-related depression for 10 years and was on a variety of medication - citalopram, propanalol, trazodone etc. etc. and put on a load of weight that I didn't really need (17 1/2 stone). I felt as if I was in a long-term steady decline and I didn't know where I would end up. BUT when I was diagnosed as T2 earlier in the year I basically said "right, that's enough - this is the kick up the a**e that you have needed for years!".

So in a way, becoming diabetic actually helped me! After I got over the initial shock (I suppose it happens to us all) I started to do something about my diet (VLCD followed by low carb) and when it began to work (weight loss, lowered BG etc.) I began to realise that I could be in control of the situation instead of things running my life. To cut a long story short, I began to feel motivated for the first time in ages and to feel better and now I have been able to stop the long-term antidepressants that I thought I would never be free of.

So, it can be done - I suppose that as well as controlling the BGL, it was in no small part due to realising that I was not as helpless as I thought I was and (touch wood!) things still seem to be going OK. All I can say is that you will find advice and help on this forum from others who have been there, done that and for me, it was very helpful to know I was not the only person in the world with problems like mine - and that in itself gave me the sense of a burden shared and support from others. You are not alone!

Just hang on in there - and some of the suggestions given above will help you cope with what can seem to be a very daunting situation.

All the best and Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamont D and Prem51