Desk Job issues

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Like many I am newly diagnosed jyst before Xmas. I have done alot if research & had 2 bouts of weeping at diagnosis but your forum has helped me feel less panicked.

Though I expect I will have lots of questions my only question now is

How do you guys keep physical activity up when you have desk job?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't.
It doesn't seem necessary to do things like going to the gym. We are told we get diabetes because we don't live right, but it doesn't seem all that vital. I do get up and do things but all unplanned and when I feel like it.

Reactions: hughinoo

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a desk job and have managed to reduce my HbA1C from 99 to 43, through diet and fasting. Type 2 diabetes can in most cases be treated by eating a low carb diet. Exercise is a benefit, but not essential. Intermittent fasting is also a benefit, but not essential either. Buy a blood glucose meter and find which foods spike your blood sugars. Best to avoid breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Avoid fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes.

See www.dietdoctor.com for some useful info on low carb.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be fairly active (both in and out of work at times) before I retired, but never went near a gym.
If you think about it many mundane routine activitites - housework, cooking, gardening, shopping, cleaning the car, walking up and down stairs, etc, all require at least a little physical effort.

Wonky knees and old age have put paid to many of my previous activities, but since diagnosis I've lost weight and become a fair bit healthier again just by reverting to a better diet (LCHF).

Robbity

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My life style was very unhealthy before diagnosis T2 and for a while afterward but for nearly 18 yrs. now after 2 strokes I Have controlled my diet and exercised. I do not agree with members who says You don't need exercise. My experience is that I lose more weight and have better control with exercise. I Have a very ancient exercise bike and it does not have all the modern bells and whistles so you cant set it so you are cycling uphill etc it is just a bike any change in speed is down to you. I had not done any exercise of note for 30 odd years so small steps 10mins 1st week then 15 then 20 up to 1 hr. don't rush took me 6- 8 weeks BS results build up over time weight loss stalls sometimes for weeks and weight stays he same for weeks then suddenly starts falling again
I also have week knees cycling helps them as does weight loss Now I am 77 and sometimes I neglect exercise because of my age and laziness I Do Notice effect on BS . Some say exercise does not work unless you work up a good swet they should live in Bangkok average daily temp 90 degrees most of the year I can sweat sitting down any movement like cleaning the filter on our pond I could generate my own electricity the rate it come off. Leisurely cycling for 10 mins the 2 mins as if you were Racing them back to leisurely and so on I try to do an hour a day early or late in the day when temps are cooler Low 80s

If You don't have a exercise bike look on the internet for you may find a second hand one

Reactions: Goonergal

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am wheelchair bound so have taken no excercise in my efforts to lower my A1c and improve my blood glucose. Diet is the most important change to make but a lot of members see their numbers improve by walking especially walking their dogs. Members say that if you want to excercise then choose something you enjoy or else it becomes a chore. So having a desk job needn't be a problem.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a desk job and with my Fitbit worked out that one day between going to and from the car park, the kitchen, the print room and the loo I clocked up 5000 steps!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have arthritis so formal exercise as in gym workouts is off limits for me, way too painful. Since my Type 2 diagnosis I have however tried small things like taking the stairs at work instead of the lift, parking in the furthest space from the supermarket entrance instead of the closest, walking to the local corner shop for top up shops instead of automatically jumping in the car. As @Guzzler says diet has been my main way to improve my HbA1c and lose weight. The weight loss does however mean that my arthritis is improving so I can now comfortably walk further than I used to :)

EDIT Just noticed this is your first post, so welcome to the Forum and I’ll tag in @daisy1 for the new members info.

Reactions: Guzzler

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hughinoo and welcome!

Like you, I have a desk job. The way I got more active was to build exercise into my daily routine. I started by buying a pedometer (just a cheap one, nothing fancy) to get an idea of how many steps I was taking in an average day.

After that I started adding more walking into the day - initially a short 10 minute walk after lunch. Then I started walking a slightly longer route from the train station to the office. Once I was good with all that, I started getting off the train a stop earlier and then returning to that station again in the evening. Gradually added extra length to both those walks (and yes, started getting an earlier train to work to fit it in) as well as increasing the length of my lunchtime walk.

On top of that, as I got fitter, just started walking more - where I might have taken a bus or tube, I walk.

I should say that I started all this once the weather got warmer around end of March last year - wanted to give myself a fighting chance of making it enough of a habit to make sure I kept it up in the colder months. And that seems to have worked - it’s actually quite addictive.

Have also added some other activities - walking football (Sunday mornings) and more recently a rowing class and the gym (evenings or weekend mornings).

Have done this bit by bit as I felt ready. Should also add that as an unmedicated type 2, diet is the biggest influence on my diabetes control, but the exercise has other benefits.

I’m tagging @daisy1 who will be along with some useful information for newbies - have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I started my IT business at home I used to sit down. I now use a standing station, this burns incidental calories just by standing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find taking flurosemide water tablet even in ill days makes me get up and about even when totally shattered. 2 young kids needs give me no rest too so I often miss my desk job and the occasional uninterrupted cup of hot coffee.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Like many I am newly diagnosed jyst before Xmas. I have done alot if research & had 2 bouts of weeping at diagnosis but your forum has helped me feel less panicked.

Hi hughinoo.

I'm a fairly active person, but in terms of making sure I keep moving, I do some really simple things (for me).

I just park further away from the supermarket entrance (and the car picks up fewer car park nicks!) At home, if I'm downstairs, I'll use a loo upstairs, and similarly, if I'm upstairs, I'll use a ground floor loo (except during the night, obviously!), and I have a pact with myself that if I have errands to run in the village, I walk or use my bike (unless it's tipping down).

It's surprising how many additional steps those simple things bring.

I now wear an activity monitor which I'm no slave to, but on the other hand if my daily steps are very low, I make myself "do something"..

Exercise is fine, but in my view, it is the icing on the cake. For we T2s, generally, what we eat and drink makes the major difference to our condition.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@hughinoo

Hello Hughinoo and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I can spend hours at my desk some days but I have a very cheap (£20) fitness tracker that beeps at me if I haven't stood up for an hour. I then get up and walk to the loo, photocopier or kettle! I'm not sure why, but guidelines say we should stand at least once every hour. On a good day, I'm running round like a headless chicken and always take the longest route between 'blocks' (I work in a school) and go via the stairs if I can - up and then down again to reach the level I started on! Yes, I often get funny looks!

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for advice. I am on Metmorfin once a day but I want to try & stop it being more.

Still bit overwhelmed even my anxiety is attacking me a little especially at night but will settle soon.

I am drinking lots of water, eating 3 meals a day & only eating foods that sugar free or less than 6%, using my fitness pal & trying to do minimum of 7k steps as my fitbit recommends.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi

I am fortunate that I no longer have to work, but when I did work I stretched my lunch hour a bit (lengthening my day a bit) and went for a long walk most days.

Didn't stop me getting diabetes, though :-(

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I've asked my boss if he minds if I go up and down the stairs a couple of times every hour, and if I can bring some kettle bells in to do occasionally. Frankly that's less 'time wasted' than a lot of people in the same company; literally just over a minute every hour. Nothing compared to the health and safety advice that if you're sitting in front of a computer you should get up for many minutes every hour and walk around!

I also find that, fast kettle bell lifts (mine is heavy - 15kg) for about a minute makes me feel mentally great - not sure if it's oxygen in the brain or what, but it really helps me concentrate afterwards, so I'm probably more productive! 20 push-ups has a similar effect.

I was watching a programme on telly recently which said that sitting at a desk all day and THEN going to the gym is not as good as regularly moving around a bit. Each to his/her own however, it may be worth checking your bg levels regularly to see what effects various types of quick exercise have. It's just possible some forms of quick and intense exercise could even *raise* your bgs, so that's also something to check for.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fortunate that I no longer have to work, but when I did work I stretched my lunch hour a bit (lengthening my day a bit) and went for a long walk most days.

Didn't stop me getting diabetes, though :-(

Good one, I forgot to mention that.

We only have a 30 minute lunch break, so I asked if I can get in 15 minutes early and leave 15 minutes late, and have an hour, so I can go for a walk.

It all depends on how accommodating the boss is I suppose. Mine is very understanding and often says things like health is more important than anything.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stand up and move around at every opportunity. If the phone rings stand up! Talking to a colleague? move about a bit, it all helps. If you can, sit on a gym ball, you are constantly adjusting to stay upright!