Dexcom CGM

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Am hoping to get the Dexcom CGM, was looking at getting the Libre but after reading several posts on here have decided to go for the a Dexcom one. Rang Animas today & I was told it would cost £250 for starter kit. 4 sensors are £186.
Lady said I need to get my pump nurse to email Animas to say that she's happy for me to get one. Also that I have to fill out a form.
Does anyone if these prices are correct? I am hoping within about a week or so my nurse can email them, I sort my form out, pay & hopefully get things going

Reactions: bobcurly

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
just googled the starter kit and the price on the site is £600 but you will get VAT relief, so I can't say for sure

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Animas have a special offer of for the starter kit. So you get the transmitter and 4 sensors and yes the 4 pack of sensors are £186, do remember though you can restart the sensors so you get more than 7 days from them. The form you fill in is for VAT relief.

Reactions: Gaz-M

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
is that offer open to all users or just th ones on the Animas pumps @CarbsRok ?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you
Was going to ask what is the app I can get on my iPhone to use with the Dexcom CGM? I have the rep phoning me sometime this week so hopefully she can give me info that I need

Reactions: Gaz-M

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was going to ask what is the app I can get on my iPhone to use with the Dexcom CGM?

There are currently two Dexcom CGM transmitters available. The G4 is the older model and this works directly with the Animas Vibe pump to display your blood sugar on the pump (and the one that is available in the current offer). If you want to see your bs on a phone and use the G4, then you also need an xDrip (www.xdripkit.co.uk is the best source) and to use an Android phone and the xDrip+ app. Bear in mind though that xDrip+ is community developed and not officially supported by anyone except Diabetes groups on Facebook.

The G5 transmitter is the one that officially pairs with an iPhone and the app in in the app store, but Animas are yet to release a pump that works with this transmitter (although I believe it's due out this year).

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
is that offer open to all users or just th ones on the Animas pumps @CarbsRok ?
Only Animas pump users can have their supplies from Animas. It does pay to shop around though on the official Dexcom site as sometimes it's cheaper to get stuff from them rather than Animas.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Jessd As the others have said, the price you were quoted is incorrect (unless they have a sale on at the moment) as the price for the starter kit (1 transmitter + 4 sensors) from Animas for animas pump users, registered with them, is £500. If bought separately, the transmitter is £350, and the 4 sensors £186. These prices are VAT free, and Animas will provide you with the necessary exemption forms when you register

Reactions: ElkBond

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The lady from Animas said there was a special offer on-£250 at the moment normally £500

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
That is a great deal, I would recommend you buy as soon as you can as coincidentally, my father in law has just purchased a transmitter alone from animas at a cost of £335, stating the starter set was in the "high £400's".

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is a great deal, I would recommend you buy as soon as you can as coincidentally, my father in law has just purchased a transmitter alone from animas at a cost of £335, stating the starter set was in the "high £400's".
Your FIL need to check the animas site if he just wants the transmitter as think it might be cheaper from them. I always make sure that when my transmitter is coming to the end of it's day I need sensors as well hence getting the discount.

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can you purchase from animas if you don't use their pump? I was told that they had stopped selling to the general non pump people as they had a lot of trouble with them wanting a replacement if the sensors were faulty.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
can you purchase from animas if you don't use their pump? I was told that they had stopped selling to the general non pump people as they had a lot of trouble with them wanting a replacement if the sensors were faulty.
No you can't only Animas customers are supplied by Animas :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news
Meeting up with a pump rep on Monday. Going to get one to trial for a week
Can't wait

Reactions: azure

iHs

Good luck with Dexcom. ...
I found that eating a lowish carb diet, enabled the G4 to be more stable than eating a lot of carb for the first few days to allow the sensor to bed in. To get the best out of cgm it needs to be used for about 2 to 3 weeks. Get yrself some Liftplus spray to remove the sensor adhesive from the skin as the sensor wire needs pulling out carefully. It'snot like an Inset. Also, gget some alcohol swabs to clean skin ok to remove shower gel residue and some liquid body glue or skintac to go underneath the sensor cradle to stop the wire from moving, and some 6x7 cm Tegaderm overlay (fold in half to cut out rectangle to go over transmitter) or use Opsite Flexifix. This should help to keep the sensor stuck ok for 3 to 4 weeks depending on where the sensor is inserted.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
iHs - thank you for that information I've filled out the forms just need to scan them to Animas tomorrow. Liftplus spray-where can I get that from?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
iHs - thank you for that information I've filled out the forms just need to scan them to Animas tomorrow. Liftplus spray-where can I get that from?

I have LiftPlus swabs on my prescription, made by Opus Healthcare Ref 5502.

iHs

Animas will supply it but some CCGs object to the cost. I get mine from the company that makes it Opus. It's great stuff and is available as free samples. There are loads of other companies that also make adhesive remover spray for stoma bags. The body glue I use is for glitter but works just as good as tac. Look on the shopping bid/buy sites.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Hit Dexcom cgm yesterday-great so far. With my Animas pump I'm trying to do the software download,borrowed my boyfriends tablet-his software isn't up to date so can't do it. All I have is my iPhone - can anyone recommend what I get to do this?