Dexcom Query

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have a appointment later on this week with my childs diabetes team for my son in Coventry.

At present he is using Libre 2 however we are finding it very inconsistent with the readings & the alarms alerts keep dropping out.
His hypo awareness is not as good as it use to be.

We would like to ask if he could have the dexcom instead of the libre.

Not sure if Coventry offer dexcom tbh.

Any advice will be appreciated if i can get them to fund it for him.

Thanks

Zakaria

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm a dexcom user, and it does have the advantage that you can calibrate it against your glucometer if you want to. (Though I believe there are add ons to get the libre to do this?)

What are you after that will be better on the dexcom? I read that some areas are starting to fund the dexcom but I suspect you'll need to be clear why it is a better option. (And I have no idea which NHS areas are funding it.)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A Dexcom is a lot more accurate because you can calibrate it. I calibrate mine within 5 points of accuracy. It gives you a constant reading of your BG levels without scanning, that becomes really important with a child because on an iphone at least you can download a follow ap that sends that reading to your phone from other locations. That alone can give you piece of mind when they are at school etc. Your child still has to have a phone on them, but say they are outside playing, you can look on your phone and get a reading and your child won't even know or have to do anything. More than one person can be sent that info. Invaluable for a child. This is in the US, so I am not sure about the UK.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mkzp123

It's difficult to know if Coventry will fund this, I am Worcs and I have managed to get my team to fund my Dexcom but was refused the libre previously when I asked, it really depends on their funding policy. What I do know is that Dexcom are actively pushing this through the NHS now with a dedicated team so more areas will be able to source the kit, just depends if they are prepared to fund it as it's more expensive and so having a good argument/case in regards to hypo awareness should help you, good luck and let us know how you get on ?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think come April the rules for type 1s are to change so that we can all access CGMs of either type. Different areas will no longer be allowed to make you jump through hoops. Plus there is a new one now on the market so there is going to be much more competition. Which can only be a good thing re cost to the NHS. As @mkzp123 you are talking about your young child losing hypo awareness then there may be a good case even now to change. Worth a go.

Reactions: Marie 2

Doug88

Hi,

Any advice will be appreciated if i can get them to fund it for him.

Zakaria

Hi,

First let me just say that different BG monitoring tech suits the needs of different people. Some people like the constant data of a CGM and some people could find it intrusive, annoying or daunting. In that sense I don't think that any BG monitor is the "best" - it's just what suits each person.

That been said, I thnk that the Dexcom is the BEST on offer in the UK. I found it more accurate and reliable than the libre handsdown and the reliable alarms are really useful (particular when sleeping).

Dexcom availability varies across the UK. Where I live, it generally would be considered not available but I did eventually manage to get funding through the NHS for mine. So when I wanted to get one, here's what I did.

1) read the jdrf guidelines for CGM in the UK (https://jdrf.org.uk/information-sup...cose-monitors/continuous-glucose-monitor-nhs/). It gives plenty good info.

2) make a list of all the good reasons you need one. In your case, noting the inaccuracy you're getting with libre, unreliability you're finding with libre alarms and lack of hypo awareness. It might be good to record some evidence of this. Look at the other FGM or CGM options available and write down why you think these would not be suitable for you.

3) make a list of the chain of command in your diabetes department - diabetes team, your endocrinologist, head of endocrinology at the hospital, NHS rep in your area.

4) make your case in an email starting with your diabetes team and working your way up the chain of command. The goal is to become so annoying that they just say yes.

Good luck.