Dexcom sensors how long do they last?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks TorqPenderloin and DunePlodder !
Does anybody know why it's not possible to change battery's transmitter ? transmitter's price in France is around 350 €...
I think you answered your own question. Dexcom is trying to run a business just like every other pharmaceutical company out there.

Not only that, but they don't want people tampering with their devices.

iHs

I have only just got on my Dexcom, but so far I am on sensor #4, and i have voluntarily removed all 3 previous sensors at the 21 day mark.

I have noticed like clockwork at around day 17 i start to get '???' for hours at a time, and the sensors react VERY slowly to changes in my BS to the point where i notice they miss short spikes entirely. For this reason, although i could go longer, i have removed all at day 21.

Also there is thread floating around that explains exactly what happens during that 2 hour start up window, and its not something i would want to do 3+ times, as it shifts the accuracy of the sensors every time you restart them in addition to the enzyme reaction slowing.

So,
Sensor #1 - 21 Days
Sensor #2 - 21 Days
Sensor #3 - 21 Days
Sensor #4 - 11 Days and counting

EDIT -

It always goes back to numbers, typically it can take a few hours - which is a pain. What do you mean 'egg timer'?

I'm also the same only for me the ??? warning happens on day 18 and then comes and goes with transmission lasting for a few hours and then going for hours then transmission again then going and by day 19 it's worse then day 20 it's just ??? and no transmission at all. I've now decided to only use the G4 for 2.5 weeks every month to keep the cost down as its too expensive otherwise.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs & Diamattic,
I suggest you look at building yourself an xDrip. On the receiver I follow a similar pattern to yourselves. However the xDrip box & associated mobile phone software allow you to see "raw" readings when the Dexcom Receiver has "???" displayed. The readings may be erratic for a while but then steady a long time before the Dexcom receiver resumes. Even when readings are erratic you can often average them out "by eye" & at least see the trend. I get several more days out of a sensor in this way.
There is no need to restart a sensor on the xDrip, so you no longer have the weekly 2 hour blind spot.
In addition the software can upload to the cloud & display a web page using NightScout. This is a wonderful option for parents or carers.
http://stephenblackwasalreadytaken.github.io/xDrip/

iHs

Thanks @ DunePlodder

Unfortunately, I am using the Vibe pump as the Dexcom receiver. I haven't bought the AT standalone.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @ DunePlodder

Unfortunately, I am using the Vibe pump as the Dexcom receiver. I haven't bought the AT standalone.

It doesn't matter. The xDrip box captures the values sent out every 5 minutes from the transmitter - it by passes the Dexcom Receiver (or Vibe pump) & sends the data to your mobile phone.
N.B. It doesn't work with the G5 (yet).

iHs

It doesn't matter. The xDrip box captures the values sent out every 5 minutes from the transmitter - it by passes the Dexcom Receiver (or Vibe pump) & sends the data to your mobile phone.
N.B. It doesn't work with the G5 (yet).

Thanks for that. I was going to ask but didnt like to admit my ignorance. Xdrip has certainly transformed over the past few months.

Right..... do I need to have all day data connection to the internet on my mobile with the Xdrip or can it be used just as an app with no internet connection? I dont really need cgm in the cloud

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. I was going to ask but didnt like to admit my ignorance. Xdrip has certainly transformed over the past few months.

Right..... do I need to have all day data connection to the internet on my mobile with the Xdrip or can it be used just as an app with no internet connection? I dont really need cgm in the cloud

No. It's stand alone. You can choose to upload data to NightScout if you wish. I also send it to my Pebble Watch via bluetooth - so no upload required for that either.

The main use for NightScout is to allow Parents to monitor their diabetic children when they are out & about.
The developers are also doing other things which are interesting - there is a "Care Portal" which allows users to enter carbs/insulin doses/exercise. Currently there are new features for pump users. Certainly worth a look if you go for an xDrip.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

You can set it up so that it only uses your phone, but you will need an Android phone for that.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No. It's stand alone. You can choose to upload data to NightScout if you wish. I also send it to my Pebble Watch via bluetooth - so no upload required for that either.

The main use for NightScout is to allow Parents to monitor their diabetic children when they are out & about.
The developers are also doing other things which are interesting - there is a "Care Portal" which allows users to enter carbs/insulin doses/exercise. Currently there are new features for pump users. Certainly worth a look if you go for an xDrip.
Also, Nightscout allows you to access the data via an app on the Apple Watch, if you want it, which isn't yet available for xDrip.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
X drip sounds good.
Being outside the USA we are stuck with G4 without the updated software.
Does the X drip use software that mimicks the old or new G4 software.
Is there anywhere someone who doesn't have the skills to build an X drip can purchase one?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
X drip sounds good.
Being outside the USA we are stuck with G4 without the updated software.
Does the X drip use software that mimicks the old or new G4 software.
Is there anywhere someone who doesn't have the skills to build an X drip can purchase one?
The xDrip software uses it's own algorithm. I find it compares very well with the old Dexcom software & is a little quicker to pick up changes. Like you I'm UK based so haven't tried the newer 505 Dexcom software.

I'd never built anything like the xDrip. It's fiddly but not that difficult. Otherwise perhaps try a computer/TV repair workshop or a local college.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to clarify, you can't buy one ready made - the seller would be breaking the law as it would be a medical device.
There is a company selling a kit though:
http://xdripkit.co.uk

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DunePlodder thanks for tip! I have been looking at all the DIY stuff revolving around the Dexcom system and would like to work on my own transmitter battery swap as soon as my first transmitter dies (i have had it since the end of May, so i expect it to die around the new year)

I can't do much with the xDrip because my government funding relies on the records as printed by Diasend, so i think that means i need the CGM data on my Vibe :/

On my last senors it was getting spotty and when i removed it i noticed water built up under the transmitter which caused the filament to rust/decay/oxidize (or whatever it does) I think on this one when it gets spotty i will just remove the transmitter and wipe it down and hope that helps.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diamattic The CGM data will still go to your Vibe (or a Dexcom receiver) when you use xDrip, so that won't be a problem.

I did once remove my transmitter to dry it & replace it. In my case I don't think it had seated properly in the first place. You have to be careful not to disturb the sensor but it is doable.

Good luck with the battery replacement - looks pretty tricky to me!

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As it was a long time ago I started the thread, here is an update on how long the Dexcom sensors are lasting.

Day 001 Sensor 1 started Wed 29 October 2014 lasted 22 days
Day 022 Sensor 2 started Thurs 20 November lasted 25 days (skin inflamed)
Day 047 Sensor 3 started Monday 15 December 2014 lasted 20 days
Day 067 Sensor 4 started Sunday 4 Jan 2015 lasted 17 days
Day 084 Sensor 5 started Wed 21 Jan lasted 20 days (ripped out, caught on jumper)
Day 104 Sensor 6 started Wednesday 11 Feb, lasted 13 days
Day 117 Sensor 7 started Tuesday 24 Feb 2015, lasted 35 days.
Day 152 Sensor 8 started Tuesday 31 March, lasted 28 days
Day 180 Sensor 9 started Tuesday 28 April 9 a.m. Failed in 4 hours phoned AT, they will replace
Day 180 Sensor 9 replacement started Tuesday 28 April 5 p.m. Lasted 22 days
Day 202 Sensor 10 started Thursday 21 May 2015 lasted 27 days
Day 229 Sensor 11 started Wednesday 17 June 2015 lasted 20 days
Day 249 Sensor 12 started Monday 06 July 2015 lasted only 8 days
Day 247 sensor 13 started Tuesday 14 July 2015 lasted 16 days (came unstuck pulled out)
Day 263 sensor 14 started Friday 31 July 2015 lasted 17 days coming unstuck
Day 280 Sensor 15 started Sunday 16 Aug 2015 lasted 14 days
Day 294 sensor 16 started Sunday 30 Aug 2015 lasted 21 days
Day 315 sensor 17 started Sunday 20 Sept 2015 lasted 26 days
Day 341 sensor 18 started Friday 16 Oct 2015 lasted 13 days
Day 354 sensor 19 started Thursday 29 Oct 2015 lasted 23 days
Day 377 sensor 20 started Monday 9 Nov 2015

An average just under 20 days.

Reactions: 2 people

bguelle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all I apologize for my english.
I'm french and I got one week ago a G4
I have some concern with my 1rst sensor :
- day 5 : ??? at beginning of a one hour exercise. Have drunk some water at the end of exercise and got BG measures after 15 minutes
- day 6 : low BG for 5 hours. I checked sometimes with Accucheck and it was ok. Then I got a 55 low BG alarm. Accucheck measured 120. Then calibration. I got 5 minutes later a ??? for 1 hour. 1 hour later : élevé in French which means > 400.
Accucheck measured then 200. Calibration and then ok.
My conclusions :
- need too drink during exercise
- avoid to make calibration when G4 BG is not stable or very low.
Any other idea ?
I hope it will last one more week at least !

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all I apologize for my english.
I'm french and I got one week ago a G4
I have some concern with my 1rst sensor :
- day 5 : ??? at beginning of a one hour exercise. Have drunk some water at the end of exercise and got BG measures after 15 minutes
- day 6 : low BG for 5 hours. I checked sometimes with Accucheck and it was ok. Then I got a 55 low BG alarm. Accucheck measured 120. Then calibration. I got 5 minutes later a ??? for 1 hour. 1 hour later : élevé in French which means > 400.
Accucheck measured then 200. Calibration and then ok.
My conclusions :
- need too drink during exercise
- avoid to make calibration when G4 BG is not stable or very low.
Any other idea ?
I hope it will last one more week at least !
Hi
Don't worry, the ???? Are because your BG is changing too quickly.
The meter thinks there is a problem because the change is so rapid and then takes an hour to reset.
It has nothing to do with drinking water.
Obviously your excersize is causing your BG to fall, in future try having some glucose ten minutes before you start your work out.

bguelle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, MoonSpirit,
Annother question,
I'm still with my first sensor. It is now 10 days old ; I started it again after the end of the session on day 7.
On day 8 it said ??? and went back around 1 hour later,
On day 9 it said ??? for more than 2 hours, I stopped/started it and it works well until
On day 10 it said ??? for more than 2 hours again, I stopped /started it again and at the moment it seems to have work well for 6 hours.
My question : for people who are used to utilize their sensor during 20 days or more. Do you restart your sensor when it says ??? for some hours ?
Thanks