• Freestyle Libre

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I was diagnosed with Type 1 back in January, and I still have this fear of testing my Blood Glucose in public (injecting I feel fine with - weirdly).

I've seen a lot of people on instagram who use either Dexcom sensors or Freestyle Libre, which allow you to monitor and track your blood glucose through the day with a little sensor on your arm (I believe that's how it works).

I'm considering getting one of these, but they're a lot of money and not available on the NHS.

Is there anyone on here that uses either of them? Could anyone recommend one over the other?

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @BeckiDover good on you for being so proactive with a relatively new diagnosis! I've used both. I thought the libre was good but a little inaccurate at times. It's usefulness, for me, was in watching trends so being able to see what happened overnight or the trend arrows for whether things were stable or rising/falling etc. I noticed when I dipped a little lower or higher it didn't seem able to cope and would be out of sync with what my sugars actually were. I got the Dexcom G5 as I wanted to sugar surf more accurately and had heard a lot of great things about it! I've been using it for almost 2 weeks and I have found it to be more accurate than the libre. It's also great that I don't have to carry an extra machine around, like you do the libre, as I just have to watch my phone. The dexcom records every 5mins to the libres 15mins. I'm still adjusting to the dexcom and what it can do but so far so good. Neither are without their own issues but definitely let you see the bigger picture that your average meter won't. That's just my experience but hope it helps a little

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I have only tried Dexcom, but for me, CGM was life changing, and I would be lost without it. I would say it is worth every penny, but sadly the Dexcom is not a replacement for BG tests, just a reduction. You really need to calibrate twice a day and then also for driving etc, but what it offers above all, is the ability to understand where your BG has been, and more importantly, where it is going.
You may want to consider buying the book "Sugar Surfing", as that will give you a great insight into the way you can use CGM to control your diabetes.

Reactions: GrantGam and azure

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't used a dexcom (either g4 or g5) but have the Libre.

Any CGM type device will be a real eye opener!

Libre is a set price for a set sensor duration, dexcom sensors usage can be extended - depending on how long you can make the sensor last has an impact of it's total usage cost - I think on average the dexcom come out slight more cost wise. (I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong!)

Just to correct kateyo :D, the libre samples every minute, but logs the average in 15min blocks - if you scan every minute you will get that minutes result.

The libre scanner/reader is also a blood glucose & ketone meter so you won't necessarily be carrying around additional gear, or you could use an android phone (check compatibility!) & app as a scanner.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't used a dexcom (either g4 or g5) but have the Libre.

Any CGM type device will be a real eye opener!

Libre is a set price for a set sensor duration, dexcom sensors usage can be extended - depending on how long you can make the sensor last has an impact of it's total usage cost - I think on average the dexcom come out slight more cost wise. (I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong!)

Just to correct kateyo :D, the libre samples every minute, but logs the average in 15min blocks - if you scan every minute you will get that minutes result.

The libre scanner/reader is also a blood glucose & ketone meter so you won't necessarily be carrying around additional gear, or you could use an android phone (check compatibility!) & app as a scanner.
Whoops, good spot! my bad :)

Reactions: slip

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BeckiDover,

I've tried both the Freestyle Libre and the Dexcom G5. I used the Libre for 9 months, before deciding to try the Dexcom G5 - and for me, the G5 is by far the best. Both have similar features - but the G5 has a few advantages which I think are invaluable:

1. the whole thing is controlled by a simple app on your phone - the sensor (placed on your abdomen) sends your sugar readings to the app by bluetooth, every 5 minutes;

2. You can set an alarm on your phone (either sound or vibrate) to go off when your blood sugars reach a user -defined high or low value - and if you wish, you can also set the alarm to sound when your sugars are rising or falling at a certain rate - which makes it much easier to avoid hypos, and to take action earlier;

3. You can "share" your blood sugars via an app, with friends/family (and, if you want, they can get alarms on their phones too) - so if you're ever in need, the ones you love will know about it.

If you don't need/want any of the above features, and the only issue is the fear of testing in public, then the Libre may be a good option - it's a little less expensive, and lasts for 14 days before you need to replace it (the G5 only lasts for 7 days a time).

I hope that helps - very happy to answer any questions you may have!

Reactions: BeckiDover

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DEXCOM DEXCOM DEXCOM!!!

I used the libre for a few months, and while it was initially accurate, it slowly lost accuracy over time for me. The time period I used the libre was one of the most unstable times for my blood sugars - I recorded my lowest ever bg reading then (2.6), and often had rapidly dropping blood sugars that couldn't easily be stabilised, which later caused unnecessary highs. This is only my experience - yours may be different, and there are many people out there successfully using the libre.

I was given the opportunity to trial the dexcom g4 for a week, and it performed significantly better than the libre. I immediately bought the g5, and have been using it ever since. Some sensors act weird at the start or very end of a session, but the accuracy is usually extremely good. The dexcom also has alarms, while the libre will only give readings if you scan, so it can help you achieve better control while you are sleeping. Other people can also follow your numbers and will be alerted if you are out of range. The only downside to the dexcom is that the sensors are 1 week only. I personally hate changing them, and have tried to make them last longer than a week, but it was never very successful for me as they died after only a couple of days extra wear. Others have worn sensors for weeks though, so your mileage may vary.

Reactions: BeckiDover
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I'm ten years old, and have had type 1 Diabetes for nearly three months now.
I have very recently got a Dexcom G5, and haven't yet used it but I've been through the entire manual and it looks amazing! I think the Dexcom is much better than the libre for quite a few reasons:
1. You can set it so it alarms and alerts at hypos and hypers (very useful, and the libre doesn't do this)
2. You can get the Dexcom app on your mobile device or an Apple Watch and/or get a Dexcom receiver.
3. It can tell you the speed and direction of your blood glucose.
Downsides to Dexcom G5:
1. You still will have to finger prick for meals and calibrations.
2. It is quite expensive
3. It is very complicated and complex. (You have been warned!!) However, if used in the right way, it can be used in lots of different ways.

I hope my reply was useful to you in your desision!

Reactions: DunePlodder

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Libre has just taken an interesting new twist. After pre-ordering in March Ambrosia Systems have finally sent me their Blucon Nightrider. It's an nfc reader which sits on top of the libre sensor and bluetooths results every five minutes to my phone, just like dexcom. Only had it on for a few hours, but so far, so good. The results are actually closer to my meter than the reader.

The company says that they will introduce alerts later on but won't say when. I'm not sure if it's a software issue or medical authorisation issue.

It's not waterproof but it can just be taken on and off. I've got it stuck on with a bit of masking tape at the moment.

One off cost of about £110, import tax of £25. They've got a waterproof version Trans Am but the pricing is ridiculous and it only lasts two weeks, whereas with Nightrider, I just change the battery.

Like I say, it's early days, but I'm liking it a lot so far, and if they can get it to alarm, great. Any app hackers out there!?!.

I know I could just do this with dexcom, the alerts are very attractive, but I decided to go for libre because the start up price was less and although ongoing cost can work out at about the same, that all depends on whether you can squeeze more life out of the sensor. I'm sure dexcom is a wonderful device, and I'd be singing it's praises if I had it, but I've got used to the libre. All cgm is wonderful.

There's a graph, but the history option seems more useful, screenshot to give you an idea:

Screenshot_2017-06-11-13-57-19.png

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haven't used dexcom, but love the Libre.

Accuracy has been fine for me - the only time it struggles is when things are rapidly changing. you have to remember there's a ~15 minute lag/delay on the readings because it measures interstitial fluid, not blood. Also the fact it averages readings over 15mins.

Not working for everybody, but suits me great.

Personally, the dexcom application looks scary. That's just a particular manifestation of my medical phobias though.

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre has just taken an interesting new twist. After pre-ordering in March Ambrosia Systems have finally sent me their Blucon Nightrider. It's an nfc reader which sits on top of the libre sensor and bluetooths results every five minutes to my phone, just like dexcom. Only had it on for a few hours, but so far, so good. The results are actually closer to my meter than the reader.

The company says that they will introduce alerts later on but won't say when. I'm not sure if it's a software issue or medical authorisation issue.

It's not waterproof but it can just be taken on and off. I've got it stuck on with a bit of masking tape at the moment.

One off cost of about £110, import tax of £25. They've got a waterproof version Trans Am but the pricing is ridiculous and it only lasts two weeks, whereas with Nightrider, I just change the battery.

Like I say, it's early days, but I'm liking it a lot so far, and if they can get it to alarm, great. Any app hackers out there!?!.

I know I could just do this with dexcom, the alerts are very attractive, but I decided to go for libre because the start up price was less and although ongoing cost can work out at about the same, that all depends on whether you can squeeze more life out of the sensor. I'm sure dexcom is a wonderful device, and I'd be singing it's praises if I had it, but I've got used to the libre. All cgm is wonderful.

There's a graph, but the history option seems more useful, screenshot to give you an idea:

View attachment 23126

Hi!

This Blucon Nightrider thing sounds amazing! Just wondering how you went about getting one? I've only done a quick google search but I couldn't find a website or anything?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

This Blucon Nightrider thing sounds amazing! Just wondering how you went about getting one? I've only done a quick google search but I couldn't find a website or anything?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Hi, becki, their website is here:

https://www.ambrosiasys.com

They've also got twitter and facebook stuff going on:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ambrosia_sys?lang=en

https://m.facebook.com/ambrosiasys/?locale2=en_GB

To be honest, after being swept up in a wave of enthusiasm about alerting my libre and then pre-ordering, and then waiting, waiting, waiting, I went through a period of thinking, sh*t, I've been gulled by an elaborate internet scam.

It wasn't helped by the fact that after tracing their company registration details to Delaware and then California, and then google mapping their registered office, it turned out to be a suburban mom and pop house outside San Francisco!

My cynical, I'll sue the feckers, hackles were rising, but at the end of the day, they delivered. I think the truth is they're a small well meaning but shambolic company which didn't predict demand. If there's any marketing students out there looking to write a thesis on how not to launch a company, and how to seed uncertainty and doubt in potential customers, look no further than Ambrosia. Pretty much everything they've said on social media has just raised doubts instead of allaying them.

Abbott is a multi-billion international company but even they were caught on the hop with the demand for libre - there was a long waiting list to begin with - so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Ambrosia.

It's a tiny little start up. The guy behind it used to work at Abbott. He seems well connected. Although my Nightrider has actually arrived (and is working splendidly) I can't ignore the fact that a lot of start ups, even those with a good product, which I believe this is, do fold because of cash flow issues, so if you do order one, it's going to be a bit of a guessing game about whether you ever get it or whether the company will fold. You're not going to get the same certainty as you do with Abbott. Place your bets!

If you order and nothing turns up after a few weeks, e-mail them. They got back to me the next day with a tracking code. I suspect given demand, they might be bumping complainers/enquirers up the queue.

They use USPS for deliveries. I used their site to track it and was a bit alarmed to see it listed as delivered when it had clearly not been, but then realised that the USPS trscking system stops when they deliver to UK and then you just use the same tracking number in Royal Mail's track and trace.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I was diagnosed with Type 1 back in January, and I still have this fear of testing my Blood Glucose in public (injecting I feel fine with - weirdly).

I've seen a lot of people on instagram who use either Dexcom sensors or Freestyle Libre, which allow you to monitor and track your blood glucose through the day with a little sensor on your arm (I believe that's how it works).

I'm considering getting one of these, but they're a lot of money and not available on the NHS.

Is there anyone on here that uses either of them? Could anyone recommend one over the other?

Hi beckidover - noy really got advice for you but i wanted to ket you know I have the exact same issue. I don't have a problem with injections I think it's because that's just taking medicine people may ask if it hurts but it's all ok it's making you better. finger pricking on the other hand well - that just screams something is wrong - it must be otherwise why would you be doing it? I can hear my mother in law clamoring for the biscuits.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realize this post is getting a bit old, but here's my 2cents worth for google searchers who found the page like I did.

Pretty much everything that people said regarding the Dexcom vs Libre is true, but here's a couple of reasons why Libre is better for me that Dexcom.
Background: I've been using Libre now for about 2 months. I used Dexcom for about 10 months.
I moved from Dexcom to Libre primarily due to cost. I live in New Zealand and have to fully self fund. For me, the Dexcom transmitter is $750 and a pack of 4 sensors $530. I could make each sensor last at least 22 days and therefore, 4 sensors would be enough for one transmitter. So, bottom line is, 3 months cost me $1280 for a total of ~$100 per week.
Libre costs for me $97.93 for two weeks for a total of ~$49 per week. Half the price.

Here's my summary of why's and why not's.

Why use Libre:
  • I like the Libre sensor insertion technique SO much better than the Dexcom.
  • The Libre sensor is flat compared to the Dexcom Sensor/Transmitter arrangement.
  • COST.

Why not use Libre:
  • No app currently on iPhone. (Apple currently restricts the use of the NFC - this apparently has been removed in iOS 11, but it hasn't yet reached the end user for Libre)
  • I have to admit that I've had accuracy issues (but minor) - not enough to swing be back to Dexcom.
  • Have to manually scan to see your levels - this is more of a NFC limitation.

Why use Dexcom:
  • Accuracy is always on point.
  • Alerts.
  • Follow me app (for parents)

Why not use Dexom:
  • The phone app is ****. It's history is limited. It's configurability is terrible.
  • Alerts - You can't turn off or customize alerts - why would you want to? Because if I have high sugar and correct it, it still takes 2-3 hours to come right all the while the painful alerts! I'd also like to change the damned volume of the alerts!!
  • When I had it, it wasn't on Android. Is it now? I think it is...
  • The application of the sensor is terrible.
  • The size of the sensor and transmitter is very large compared to Libre.
  • The transmitters are ONLY disposable - why not use rechargeable batteries? LIR2030!!!!! Money / profits, that's why.
  • COST.

I think that just about covers it. If they were the same price and Dexcom fixed their app, I'd probably go for Dexcom. But price is the main factor. Otherwise, Libre for me it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: lcarter

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realize this post is getting a bit old, but here's my 2cents worth for google searchers who found the page like I did.

Pretty much everything that people said regarding the Dexcom vs Libre is true, but here's a couple of reasons why Libre is better for me that Dexcom.
Background: I've been using Libre now for about 2 months. I used Dexcom for about 10 months.
I moved from Dexcom to Libre primarily due to cost. I live in New Zealand and have to fully self fund. For me, the Dexcom transmitter is $750 and a pack of 4 sensors $530. I could make each sensor last at least 22 days and therefore, 4 sensors would be enough for one transmitter. So, bottom line is, 3 months cost me $1280 for a total of ~$100 per week.
Libre costs for me $97.93 for two weeks for a total of ~$49 per week. Half the price.

Why use Libre:
  • The Libre sensor is flat compared to the Dexcom Sensor/Transmitter arrangement.
  • COST.

Why not use Libre:
  • No app currently on iPhone. (Apple currently restricts the use of the NFC - this apparently has been removed in iOS 11, but it hasn't yet reached the end user for Libre)
  • I have to admit that I've had accuracy issues (but minor) - not enough to swing be back to Dexcom.

Why use Dexcom:
  • Alerts.

Why not use Dexom:
  • The phone app is ****. It's history is limited. It's configurability is terrible.
  • Alerts - You can't turn off or customize alerts - why would you want to? Because if I have high sugar and correct it, it still takes 2-3 hours to come right all the while the painful alerts! I'd also like it change the damned volume of the alerts!!
  • The transmitters are ONLY disposable - why not use rechargeable batteries? LIR2030!!!!! Money / profits, that's why.
  • COST.

I think that just about covers it. If they were the same price and Dexcom fixed their app, I'd probably go for Dexcom. But price is the main factor. Otherwise, Libre for me it is.

Hi!
Thanks for your post - i'm actually STILL deciding what to get, so this is really helpful!
Thank you!

Reactions: lcarter

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi!
Thanks for your post - i'm actually STILL deciding what to get, so this is really helpful!
Thank you!
I don't know if you saw the announcement yesterday, or the topic in the forum, but the Libre will be added to the NHS Drug Tariff on 1st November, after which it will be up to local CCGs to agree to prescribe it for type 1s. There is currently ongoing work to make the second stage easier. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/libre-on-nhs.126334/

Alerts - You can't turn off or customize alerts - why would you want to? Because if I have high sugar and correct it, it still takes 2-3 hours to come right all the while the painful alerts! I'd also like it change the damned volume of the alerts!!
This isn't entirely true. Within the iPhone app for UK use, the only alert that you have to use is the Urgent Low alert that triggers at 3.1 mmol/l. You don't have to use any other alerts, and when I ran it on the iPhone, that was the only one that was enabled.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why use Libre:
  • COST.

Why not use Libre:

Why use Dexcom:
  • Alerts.

Why not use Dexom:
  • Alerts - You can't turn off or customize alerts - why would you want to? Because if I have high sugar and correct it, it still takes 2-3 hours to come right all the while the painful alerts! I'd also like it change the damned volume of the alerts!!
  • COST.

I agree the iPhone app for Dexcom is disappointing; I fail to understand why it can't include some history beyond 24 hours and some stats like "estimated A1c" and "average blood sugar for last 24 hours / last 3 days / last 1 week".

On your other points, I'm not sure if you are using an older version but the current iPhone app I use with my G5 does allow you to turn off and customise the alerts. There are different alert noises to choose from, you can choose the repeat duration (so when you have high sugar and know it'll take 2 hours to come down you can specify no repeats in next 2 hours) and you can turn them off altogether (except for the "urgent low" i.e. below 3.1mmol).

Agreed about the size, the Libre is much less bulky and more user-friendly, in my opinion. I really dislike the size and shape of the Dexcom transmitter but I disagree about the application, it's pretty easy and fool proof in my experience.

For me, what makes the Dexcom win over the Libre (notwithstanding the fact that I am allergic to the Libre adhesive) is: (a) the alerts - especially useful to wake you up at night; (b) being able to solely use my iPhone and not carry a reader around with me, I think for Libre you can only ditch their reader if you have an Android phone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
One of the advantages of the libre is that - if you have a compatible phone already - you can just order a sensor, pay for it and try it out. No extra starting costs. For me that would be a reason to first try the libre before deciding.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend's 17 year old son wears a Dexcom and my friend can always see his sugars on his (quite old) Android phone. I think he can also see the history a ways back too. And it alerts him if he's going hypo. I doubt the Libre can do that (alert someone else's phone). And soon he said the Dexcom will eliminate the "calibration" step. He said you'll just apply the sensor and you're ready to go. The way I see it the only advantage of the Libre is cost. That's probably why it's not available here.