Results are only viewable after voting.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My friend's 17 year old son wears a Dexcom and my friend can always see his sugars on his (quite old) Android phone. I think he can also see the history a ways back too. And it alerts him if he's going hypo. I doubt the Libre can do that (alert someone else's phone). And soon he said the Dexcom will eliminate the "calibration" step. He said you'll just apply the sensor and you're ready to go. The way I see it the only advantage of the Libre is cost. That's probably why it's not available here.
You'd be surprised at how many people don't want the alarms that come with the Dexcom. That's the other advantage of the Libre. It's like fingerpricking without breaking your skin. You're in control of it rather than, as some feel, it's in control of you.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend's 17 year old son wears a Dexcom and my friend can always see his sugars on his (quite old) Android phone. I think he can also see the history a ways back too. And it alerts him if he's going hypo. I doubt the Libre can do that (alert someone else's phone). And soon he said the Dexcom will eliminate the "calibration" step. He said you'll just apply the sensor and you're ready to go. The way I see it the only advantage of the Libre is cost. That's probably why it's not available here.
Hi @TheBigNewt , A Dexcom rep also told me that Dexcom was partnering with Google to make a smaller, cheaper and sensor/transmitter combined sensor. That would be exciting and I would seriously consider going back to Dexcom when/if this happens.
At the very least, hopefully having both Libre and Dexcom on the market will keep each other a little honest.... maybe.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'd be surprised at how many people don't want the alarms that come with the Dexcom. That's the other advantage of the Libre. It's like fingerpricking without breaking your skin. You're in control of it rather than, as some feel, it's in control of you.
I agree but, what would be even better, is having functionality such as "Alert once" or a "sleep" function (ie, alert again in X minutes) or maybe an "acknowledgment" button with alerts. I'm sure it's not too hard to do.... currently (as you say in another post) you can either have the alerts on or off, with the exception of the urgent low which is always on.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Thanks for your post - i'm actually STILL deciding what to get, so this is really helpful!
Thank you!
You are most welcome. FYI: I've just updated it, thought of another reason not to use Libre. :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TheBigNewt , A Dexcom rep also told me that Dexcom was partnering with Google to make a smaller, cheaper and sensor/transmitter combined sensor. That would be exciting and I would seriously consider going back to Dexcom when/if this happens.
At the very least, hopefully having both Libre and Dexcom on the market will keep each other a little honest.... maybe.
Maybe that's what my friend was referring to yesterday (he's a nurse here at the VA hospital). I think he mentioned Google and the combined sensor/transmitter. Whatever it is it sounded better and simpler than it is now.

djking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe that's what my friend was referring to yesterday (he's a nurse here at the VA hospital). I think he mentioned Google and the combined sensor/transmitter. Whatever it is it sounded better and simpler than it is now.
Yes it does... But until it hits the market, it's just rumor. BTW: It was about a year ago that I heard this info...