1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and bad Temper...

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Andydragon, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

prior to being diagnosed over a decade ago one of the symptoms was an incredibly bad temper that I didn’t realise until levelled off. It was like being wound up too tight, but only after the fact did I realise... I’m told I’m much improved but occasionally have issues if hungry, luckily not in a long time!

My dad had the same symptoms, you always knew when his bloods were high as he became a nightmare

so, curious if this is an issue for all types of diabetics? Am I just unusual? Or is there a medical reason for it?

2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

High levels = frustration.

Hunger from my point of view, even just getting a cup of coffee when I feel I'm getting a bit too hungry and become impatient with getting stuff done like if out shopping for example. Get a cup of coffee and I'm ok. Or eat and I'm back to normal temper wise. Taking steriods doesn't help matters with temper either.

3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I was a dragon before I lowered my blood sugars. Never realised what it was, until it was gone. Much easier to get along with now, which is nice within a marriage. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. sgm14

sgm14 · Active Member

5. rosemaree

rosemaree Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is interesting when you see how your sugar levels affect so many things. I tend to bottle up my anger :blackeye:, but definitely noticed I feel very confused and fuzzy headed when my sugar levels are off. I managed to get them quite stable for a while and felt much better, but have been battling lately and have noticed the confusion setting back in. I tend to feel a bit wraith like when my numbers are low, and just on the verge of snapping when they are high.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I get Hypo-Rage

For Hypers I tend to just get more energy, but it is a weird, 'sugar high' energy, rather than a good sustainable endurance energy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope, I’m pretty jovial, I reached inner peace about 15 years ago when I quit my job, sold my house, cars, and became a digital nomad traveling around East Asia. Was fat and happy when diagnosed, now I’m just happy

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I get the same with hypos, but time isn't exactly your friend in these situations. Everything needs to be done quickly to reverse it. And I get an energy kick with a higher level... I think it's possibly the bodies way of getting you to try and burn it off quick.

9. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Bad temper grrrrrrrrr. &#&########. Never lol high bloods sugars I’m like the Incredible Hulk with termites in his pants , my mother always use to say check your blood sugar you grumpy sod lol
    Blood sugars have a huge affect on people’s character either high or low bit of a Goldilocks theory only just right will do lol well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it

stay safe

“the night is dark and full of terrors”

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like me. Luckily my bloods have been low for a long time. But yes, it’s usually the people around who notice the mood change

11. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I get grumpy with highs and lows. If its pointed out to me I can pretty much snap myself out of a high grumpy mood but low grumpies are much worse because if they are pointed out to me I can get angry and argumentative or tearful.

12. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Now this is starting to really annoy me!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook