diabetes and exams

hismom

Hi,
my son is about to sit his first gcse exam. Do any of you have experience of how this may affect his bg please?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Any stress from whatever quarter can affect his Bg levels, they usually go up for most people.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya, i agree, when doing exams my blood usually goes higher, i usually check my bloods in the middle of exam :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check with the school's SENCO. You may find your son is given time to do his BG during the exam.
Hana

sallywally

Hi there i believe you son will be allowed time to test bloods and treat if necessary.He will also have a choice to be in a smaller environment to make it less stressful.He may be also allowed extra time esp if surported by your nurse.You may have to push for these things depending on how good your school is. Talk to senco and nurse and see what you can arrange to make it easyier for your son.
For my my daughter she gets very high with stress. hope this helps :)

hismom

hi,
to be honest my son is home educated so his exam enviroment is different anyway. There is just him and the exam officer in a room. I havent asked about extra time but when I booked the exam the lady I booked it with has a husband who is diabetic and she asked if he needed anything. The only thing I was concerned with was his bg levels dropping in an exam . He is young at 13 to be doing the exams but we cant drag the work out another year. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

steph

hi, i am now 21 so have been through all my exams and all mine went fine but everyone is different. i have found though that if i get stressed etc like you could do during an examination my blood sugars will rise if they are on the high side to start with or fall if they are on the lower side so best thing to do would be to test before the exam and take the blood tester in with him as well as some hypo treatment and insulin so you can deal with whatever comes your way and the school should let your son do this as mine did not have a problem. hope this helps xx

Katharine

My son's blood sugars went high due to the stress of exams too.

Two tips I have are:

Make sure his hypo treatment is not greasy or noisy eg crisps. Sweets are better.

If the student checks the bs 30 mins before the exam and just before going in they will see what the trend is. They will then know whether to eat something or even give a little dose of insulin could be helpful.

Cognitive function is best at normal blood sugars.