Diabetes and liver problems

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had diabetes for a number of years (don't know how many - eventually had to diagnose myself about 9 or 10 years ago and then go to the doctor for confirmation). I also have had a "fatty liver" for many years and was told that there was nothing to be done about it - just hope it didn't get worse. Now I have cirrhosis and am told that it's too late to do anything about it now - just keep an eye on it ie I assume, watch it get worse until I pop my clogs because of it. I read somewhere that someone had some success with milk thistle and I wonder if anyone knows anything about this.

I took milk thistle some years ago for something (can't remember what) but it gave me awful headaches, so I stopped. My son has just given me some milk thistle tablets which don't seem to have an adverse effect, so I could tale them, but are they any use for my damaged liver?

Reactions: carina62

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I've had diabetes for a number of years (don't know how many - eventually had to diagnose myself about 9 or 10 years ago and then go to the doctor for confirmation). I also have had a "fatty liver" for many years and was told that there was nothing to be done about it - just hope it didn't get worse. Now I have cirrhosis and am told that it's too late to do anything about it now - just keep an eye on it ie I assume, watch it get worse until I pop my clogs because of it. I read somewhere that someone had some success with milk thistle and I wonder if anyone knows anything about this.

I took milk thistle some years ago for something (can't remember what) but it gave me awful headaches, so I stopped. My son has just given me some milk thistle tablets which don't seem to have an adverse effect, so I could tale them, but are they any use for my damaged liver?
Hi @Annb. Diabetes will effect the liver, as with all internal organs as it is a vascular disease. As for milk thistle, this one out of my league. You could get a professional opinion if that would help. Good luck.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry to hear this. You could try milk thistle but I don't think anything can be done once you get to cirrhosis level. I also was told that nothing could be done about fatty liver. That doctor was wrong - milk thistle and lipotropic factors and a low carb diet helps immensely. I hate saying this but it could be too late for you now that you have cirrhosis, but hey, give it a go if you're up for it and let us know how you get on. I would consider seeing a naturopath if you can afford it. Good luck with this. Hugs. Sorry I can't be more positive.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Liver cells are amazingly resilient - do not give up on it yet - low carb eating seems to reverse some of the features which are believed to cause fatty livers - so you are going to be doing your best for yourself if you can lower blood glucose, reduce insulin resistance and break down fats for energy. Your liver is involved in all this, and if there are even just a few active cells left, they will start to work and to reproduce themselves, just give them the right environment.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think milk thistle pills are worth a try, I don´t remember who but one person in this forum has written that it helped his liver recover...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am annoyed that so called experts are still telling people that fatty liver can't be cured. They are wrong, many of us here have done it. So perhaps they are wrong about it not being possible to cure cirrhosis of the liver too? I agree with Kristin that artichoke is also good.

I so hope you can turn this around @Annb :)

lindisfel

Expert

I could be wrong but from what I have read most type 2's unlike type 1's when they take insulin turn their carbs into fat including liver fat. Best to cut down on carbs, but especially fructose and reduce your need for insulin and give your liver a chance to recover, furthermore you will lose weight which results in many improving their liver readings. regards Derek

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As has been said, the liver is a remarkable organ and the only organ in the body that can repair itself. I do hope you can do something to reverse your condition but it sounds like you have your eye on the ball. Good luck to you.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your support and suggestions. I'm on an antibiotic at the moment for an infection of a nail bed but next week will get back onto the milk thistle, which I seem to be able to tolerate now. I will try the artichoke and sasparilla and I'll try, once again to get the carbs down, despite the local health care people who chastise me almost every time I see them. Mind you - the last time they were enthusiastic about my reduction in average sugar levels, but that was only because I had to go back on Metformin after coming off it to try to control my years long bowel problems.

I know I have to work this out for myself without local help and with any luck I'll have a few more years in me yet. Thanks again.

Ann

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I am annoyed that so called experts are still telling people that fatty liver can't be cured. They are wrong, many of us here have done it. So perhaps they are wrong about it not being possible to cure cirrhosis of the liver too? I agree with Kristin that artichoke is also good.

I so hope you can turn this around @Annb :)
I agree, I have met others with the condition which was reversed with diet, vitamin B suppliments and a complete abstinence from alcohol.

Reactions: zand

AldonzaZa

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi! I also had problems with liver and stomach. My doctor advised me to visit some resort with mineral water.

Edited to remove advertising links

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks all for your support and suggestions. I'm on an antibiotic at the moment for an infection of a nail bed but next week will get back onto the milk thistle, which I seem to be able to tolerate now. I will try the artichoke and sasparilla and I'll try, once again to get the carbs down, despite the local health care people who chastise me almost every time I see them. Mind you - the last time they were enthusiastic about my reduction in average sugar levels, but that was only because I had to go back on Metformin after coming off it to try to control my years long bowel problems.

I know I have to work this out for myself without local help and with any luck I'll have a few more years in me yet. Thanks again.

Ann
Just remembered Ann, some of the medications used for fungal infections can adversely affect liver enzymes like GGT. D.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I too have fatty liver and have joined SW this week. You can buy milk thistle tea too.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again for all the advice and support. I figured that the last time I tried low carbs I was ill because I tried it with high fat. I don't have a gall bladder so have an issue with fats (which I love). Anyway, I have been doing almost zero carbs this last week (no starch, no fruit, only protein foods and salads or veggies) and not using much fat and am surprised at how much energy I have gained. Slight problem there - with more energy I have been doing more and that hasn't done a whole lot of good for my arthritis! But I can just about cope with that. The other improvements I have seen are that my legs are less swollen with fluid, my sugar levels are down to within or just above normal range and I have reduced insulin a bit. All in one week - that can't be bad.

Finishing antibiotics today, sasarparilla pills and tea have arrived from Amazon and just waiting for artichoke pills to arrive. I'll start taking the sasarparilla and see what happens then maybe add the artichoke when it arrives.

I'm chuffed and again, many thanks.

Ann

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant. Don't forget the Lipotropic factors if you need them as they can also help with reducing fat around the organs. This is the one I used for my fatty liver.

https://www.solgar.co.uk/SolgarProducts/Lipotropic-Factors-Tablets-Vegetarian-Formula.htm

https://uk.iherb.com/r/solgar-lipotropic-factors-100-tablets/15708/?p=1

I have read that if you don't have a gall bladder you need to add any fats gradually and your body can cope better with small amounts at a time.

Thanks for posting again, I was wondering about you a couple of days ago, keep us up to date with your progress. :)

Reactions: carina62

EmyJ

Your best defense against fatty liver disease includes these strategies:

• Work with your health care team to achieve good control of your blood sugar.
  • Lose weight if you need to, and try to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Take steps to reduce high blood pressure.
  • Keep your low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol and triglycerides — a type of blood fat — within recommended limits.
  • Don't drink too much alcohol.

Reactions: carina62 and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your best defense against fatty liver disease includes these strategies:

• Work with your health care team to achieve good control of your blood sugar.
  • Lose weight if you need to, and try to maintain a healthy weight.
  • Take steps to reduce high blood pressure.
  • Keep your low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol and triglycerides — a type of blood fat — within recommended limits.
  • Don't drink too much alcohol.

Your advice is great for someone who is healthy already and wishes to stay that way, but the OP isn't one of them, she has serious liver problems and this forum is the best help she can get because her HCPs have let her down. That's tragic but happens all too often.

The problem is the health care professionals don't want to work with us! Both the OP and me were both told that nothing could be done for fatty liver. This was not true. How can anyone trust HCPs when they say such rubbish? Many of us here have cured our fatty liver. I went to a naturopath and a nutritionist who both helped me with that. Now I am passing on what I learnt to Ann.

If someone could tell me how to lose weight (not as easy as it sounds) I would be very grateful. Still struggling with that (for the last 40 years or so).

@Annb well done with your progress so far. :)