Diabetes and Medication in U.S.A

cyrryan

Hi All, :)

I have some questions about travel and living in U.S.A. I was thinking of living in U.S.A for a year as I have a relative there, but am unsure about the medical situation in the country. I am type 1 diabetic on insulin and tabs daily. I know that the U.S healthcare is based around insurance of one type or other. It is confusing that there is very little information on what one could be entitled too or if one can obtain the same medication in the U.S. I am not seeking freebies just an insurance plan that would cover me and my meds whilst in the U.S. I don't have insurance presently and I would be grateful of any advice or recommendations on this matter.

thanks!!

Regards
C

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
It can be very complicated.
The best way is to phone your relative, and see if you can be added to their policy.
You won't get any form of medical care without payment, unless it's life threatening, and even then, only stabilising.

Insulin is very expensive to make, and your insurance will probably be very expensive. But it will cover you for everything.
It's probably easier to get your relative to help, as there are some government programmes to help people get insurance, especially those with long-term problems.

Good luck :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Depending on what tablets you take, Walmart sell some at a fixed $10 for a 90 day supply, but not for the insulins

walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/customer_list.pdf

cyrryan

Hi
Thanks for all your replies!! I was expecting more replies but seemingly there are not alot of people travelling to the States.
Walmart would be unsuitable as I am on insulin pen and they need a perscription i believe. I was in the U.S before and I came accross problems in that I could only get older type insulins which I was on years ago. Some chemists only stocked the vile bottled insulins. I was a bit scared in that i was very unsure about these insulins. Also the pen was not in great use back then!
Yes there are government programmes but which one is suitable for me. There are quite a few of them and the smaller details are difficult to understand.

Thanks
Cyrryan

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Couldn't you take enough insulin with you? Would your GP here give you a years prescription, or am i being totaly unrealistic? :(