1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes has ruined my life

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ExtremelyW0rried, Dec 29, 2017.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just curious, I had private health insurance in Australia but they never paid for anything diabetic related.... However, I believe they do pay for equipment like pumps? (Still on the fence about going on a pump...)

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hated my PHI. I never got anything back except a small percent of my Dentist visit on Extras. My D Educator is really on the ball she sent all the correct paperwork off on 22nd Dec and they approved it same day (that was effectively Christmas eve) the only stuff up was the PHI didn't put her email in correctly. I called them, they sent a copy to me of which I forwarded on and apparently they sorted the issue with her. You are correct PHI pay for nothing else D related, but remember it's all about govt regulation . I will tell you in 12 weeks what I think about the pump. Pump prices have gone up, now AUD$9,500 for the Medtronic 640g, at least their response was will pay for the pump in full ($9,500).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Interesting your comment about still looking for the pump which isn't there. For at least three years I found it weird getting up in the morning, no longer finding a BS test meter by the bed. I would check my pockets for my syringe case. Now, four years after my pancreas/kidney transplant, I just think I've forgotten something, but not specific. I wonder when this stops, but I suppose in essence we are relatively new guineapigs. Good luck

4. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get up and end up halfway through brushing my teeth before I think "wow, I feel really **** today, what's going on" and then you remember.

It is horrible and awful and like being diagnosed all over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

You must get rid of that forever negative mindset. No-one said it was easy living with any condition. No-one consigned a child to a hospital with terminally ill cancer either without wishing life was different.

No need to be going down that dark hall, you ain't tied to a chair you ain't nailed to the wall

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I can understand your side of the fence and I really hope your life improves. All the best for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Florence5

Florence5 Type 1 · Member

I feel that a good mental attitude is crucial . I know the feeling you have re pump not working properly or failing totally. It has happened me 4 times. Worst time was when I was abroad ! I survived . What we need is a backup pump to take away the awful stress. How long have you been on the pump? I have been on it for 33 years !
    Florence

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nidge247

Nidge247 LADA · Well-Known Member

@NoKindOfSusie

I think you need first to accept where you are then look to move positively forward.

I accept you will be depressed in the first period as you adjust; this is something most diabetics will recall even if it was decades ago. (For some people this period is weeks, in others months or years.)

Acceptance will help you past this point. Once you start to get a grip on this condition and move forward (little steps), life DOES get easier, but you have to work at it - there's no "off button" with diabetes.

Remember; diabetes is just a condition, and YOU are in control, as it is YOU that make the choices in life. We may each have been dealt a bad card, but just read through the forums for advice, and you'll find there's more than one way to win the game of life.

Everyone is different, and D affects different people in many different ways. However here you will find support, help and a sharing of knowledge - it is up to you if you accept what is on offer.

Life is a gift not a given right. It is up to us all to cherish, appreciate, and make the most of each day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Have pumps been around for 33 years?? Crikey 33 years ago I only managed to transfer from syringes to a pen!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Florence5

Florence5 Type 1 · Member

I was put on a trial along with 5 others in 1984 after doing a marathon and raising £500 for the diabetic unit in the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast . The other 4 were brittle diabetics but I was “ normal” if you could call it that. My only concern was the size of the pump as I was fashion conscious. So yes, pumps have been on the go for a long time !

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This bloke in pic below was pushing the edges in the 1960's! For obvious reasons, he wouldn't have got that far on the Dragon's Den of his day, but maybe he was before his time...

images (1).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook