Diabetes moral support chat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Great thread, and can totally relate to sometimes eating the contents of the fridge and cupboard when hypo, knowing full well I'm going to rebound too high. Libre helps massively though to avoid hypo's and reduce the height of the rebound.
The strange thing is how our cognitive function is working enough to even be aware that this will not bode well, but not enough to keep us restrained. I can remember many details of hypos, even at times when they involved total memory loss. On one occasion, when I was a trainee organ builder, I had enough battery to go to my food bag, but I circled it like a caged leopard until another builder said "It's in the bag" and came to my assistance. It's the appalling feeling that you have a mouth full of iron filings or have a powerful magnet on your tongue, added to seismic tremors and unbelievable salivation. Not to mention auras, a needle- sharp headache and insatiable hunger. I reckon it takes 20 minutes at least for remedies to act and by then the brain has overriden any thought other than food. As a two-year-old I ate the soldiers, the egg, the shells, and even tried to eat the plate.
I agree with @EllieM how horrible hypo's are, but I find them fascinating.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
as a person who tried dog food as a child, I will say that it tastes like dry bread with strange spices :D
I was getting salt and jelly!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I was a trainee organ builder
I seem to understand each word individually, but the meaning of the phrase does not reach me. Could you explain what it is organ builder?
As a two-year-old I ate the soldiers, the egg, the shells, and even tried to eat the plate.
Do you remember it? How do hypos pass in baby in general? At the age of two, you still can't go up to your parents and tell them what happened to you. I remember when I had hypo for the first time (I was much older than you then - I was 8), I just lay down on the sofa and didn't get up because I didn't have the strength until my father noticed it and checked my bg. Then he sat next to me for a few minutes while I ate candies and repeated "remember this state"

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I seem to understand each word individually, but the meaning of the phrase does not reach me. Could you explain what it is organ builder?
Do you remember it? How do hypos pass in baby in general? At the age of two, you still can't go up to your parents and tell them what happened to you. I remember when I had hypo for the first time (I was much older than you then - I was 8), I just lay down on the sofa and didn't get up because I didn't have the strength until my father noticed it and checked my bg. Then he sat next to me for a few minutes while I ate candies and repeated "remember this state"
An organ builder designs, builds and repairs/restores pipe organs. A fabulous job, but unstable financially!
I have apparently "astonishing" memories of our first house, which we left when I was 33 months old. You're absolutely right that I would not have known what the problem was at the time. What I do know is that many years later I vividly described to my mother my memory of trying to eat a small china plate with a repeated poppy design (more orange than red) running round the outer circle. "I remember that: you were having a reaction, well I'm blowed!"

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
An organ builder designs, builds and repairs/restores pipe organs. A fabulous job, but unstable financially!
I have apparently "astonishing" memories of our first house, which we left when I was 33 months old. You're absolutely right that I would not have known what the problem was at the time. What I do know is that many years later I vividly described to my mother my memory of trying to eat a small china plate with a repeated poppy design (more orange than red) running round the outer circle. "I remember that: you were having a reaction, well I'm blowed!"
I need this sticker in reactions
3099.png

I can't distinguish two melodies of the same genre from each other, but for some reason all my friends know how to play the piano. Haha, this is karma:hilarious: I admire people who can play musical instruments despite the fact that I myself do not hear the beauty of mush

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I need this sticker in reactions
View attachment 55063
I can't distinguish two melodies of the same genre from each other, but for some reason all my friends know how to play the piano. Haha, this is karma:hilarious: I admire people who can play musical instruments despite the fact that I myself do not hear the beauty of mush
Here is my latest restorationArgent 21.JPG

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Wow! It is amazing!
I seem to have derailed the thread unintentionally. Your original post makes we wonder whether there should be a "bizarre"
experience of diabetes (as in dog food) or would it stay in this thread?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to have derailed the thread unintentionally. Your original post makes we wonder whether there should be a "bizarre"
experience of diabetes (as in dog food) or would it stay in this thread?
I think it's okay that we've gone a little off topic. It doesn't forbid anyone to whine a little in this chat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I think it's okay that we've gone a little off topic. It doesn't forbid anyone to whine a little in this chat
This is what I mean by bizarre:
1967 My father stopped the car outside Eades’ Stores, a wonderfully old-fashioned grocers with their name proudly set in mosaic between two large plate glass windows set in dark green frames and housing complete sides of smoked pig, whole rounds of strong cheese, and a wooden frame containing glass-fronted tin boxes with Peek Frean’s or Huntley and Palmer’s just emerging from heavily pawed and ancient paper. He asked me to go in and buy three tins of Trout Hall grapefruit segments. I came back with three bottles of Brobat (toilet cleaner).

“I didn’t ask for that!” said my father. I do remember the shopkeeper, Mrs Potter asking me if I was all right. Clearly not, because the story jumps to my father forcing glucose tablets through my gritted teeth while supine on my bed. The tablets were about 6mm thick and the diameter of a 2p coin. They were sold by Boots in yellow and black striped rolls. I still hate all forms of glucose except Lucozade.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am fixing my breakfast now

But had different reactions

Yesterday high bg

Today hypo
Haha come on diabetes make up ur mind

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is what I mean by bizarre:
1967 My father stopped the car outside Eades’ Stores, a wonderfully old-fashioned grocers with their name proudly set in mosaic between two large plate glass windows set in dark green frames and housing complete sides of smoked pig, whole rounds of strong cheese, and a wooden frame containing glass-fronted tin boxes with Peek Frean’s or Huntley and Palmer’s just emerging from heavily pawed and ancient paper. He asked me to go in and buy three tins of Trout Hall grapefruit segments. I came back with three bottles of Brobat (toilet cleaner).

“I didn’t ask for that!” said my father. I do remember the shopkeeper, Mrs Potter asking me if I was all right. Clearly not, because the story jumps to my father forcing glucose tablets through my gritted teeth while supine on my bed. The tablets were about 6mm thick and the diameter of a 2p coin. They were sold by Boots in yellow and black striped rolls. I still hate all forms of glucose except Lucozade.
you write like a professional writer, such good descriptions!
it's so strange, but my hypo has never affected my mind, although many say that they behave inappropriately with a low bg... but hypo only scared me and weakened me, but no more

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I was little I always stole the cat food out their bowls, and I didn't even have diabetes as an excuse! :hilarious:
I tried dog and cat food even before I had diabetes (I think I was 3 or 4 years old), just as a child, my friends and I were interested in what our pets eat and we tried it until our parents saw

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Haha come on diabetes make up ur mind
sometimes it seems that diabetes is a person, isn't it? :D Moreover, a person with a shotgun and an unbalanced psyche who can do something good for you for long time and then shoot you in the foot

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A friend of mine worked in a dog food factory (spillers) as a quality control operator!
I made friends with him when I was putting stencils on fire doors at the factory.
I always ask him if they have changed the recipe or what is his favourite? Even though he left over thirty years ago!

Because of my hypo hell period before diagnosis, my mental capacity has deteriorated definitely. My counselling service would testify to that! I do have really bad anxiety issues and even though I know I am stabilising, my worries and thoughts are nowhere near where they were twenty years ago. I often say I have forgotten more than I have learned.
The long term effects from multiple hypos over a long period is definitely a cause of anxiety, depression and brain function. Alzheimer's has been called a diabetic cause for the condition or something similar.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried dog and cat food even before I had diabetes (I think I was 3 or 4 years old), just as a child, my friends and I were interested in what our pets eat and we tried it until our parents saw
I must admit that I still know what the food and treats of my dogs and cats taste like, I'm the curious kind.
And at 45, I don't have any parents to tell me not to.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I must admit that I still know what the food and treats of my dogs and cats taste like, I'm the curious kind.
And at 45, I don't have any parents to tell me not to.
well, if this food is safe for your animals, then it is also safe for you, although it is unlikely that it tastes good to you :)