Diabetes OCD!

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please tell me it's normal to become obsessed with learning as much as possible about your condition when newly diagnosed! I seem to spend every spare second researching diabetes now.....my wife is threatening to join a support group for people who have partners obsessed!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Yes. The info (or lack of info) you are given on causes panic. I was in a state of shock for months.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bucco,

No that sounds exactly like me!! I found out about 6 months ago, and immediately bought a shelf load of books, scoured the internet, read journal papers, found this forum (which has been an amazing help), and could think of little else for a few weeks (still am a bit preoccupied with it all to be honest).

I'm still finding out new things everyday, and consider it every diabetics resposibility to be as informed as possible about their disease (knowledge is power, and all that :D )

So, no, you sound perfectly normal to me!! My boyfriend thought I was a bit obsessive too at first, but he realise's how important it is to educate yourself, after all, we have to live with this for the rest of our lives.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Bucco :D I think most people think the same as you and that is why they join this forum where they will learn everything they could possibly want to know. I learnt everything I know about diabetes from here. The search facility is a very good way of finding information. To help you in your quest for information, here is some advice we give to new members and hope that it is helpful to you. Ask as many questions as you want as there is usually someone here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

floridagal

Hi Bucko,
I am totally with you with the obsessional need to understand diabetes and its management. I love the fact that the internet allows us all to be experts in anything we choose. It is driving my husband mad ! :crazy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bucco,

Knowledge is Power so there is no harm in learning about a condition you will have for life (unless a cure is found)......research away but be careful as there is a lot of quackery out there on the web! :)

jopar

When I was diagnosed, internet didn't exist :shock:

But there is one thing you'll never stop learning about diabetes and best ways of controlling your own... When I started I was on a very strict regime of 2 injections a day, and a strict regime of prescribed carbohydrates per meal and snack... Now I use a insulin pump...

But as Nigel says, knowledge is power... You read adsorb take the ideas that work for you, and look at the others to see if they will adapt to suit your needs..

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I just say that you guys/girls are amazing! I am astounded at the level of support and compassion, care and advice offered I these discussions and forums.... Thank you all.

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
hi Bucco
Welcome to the forum, Like jopar, when I was 1st diagnosed with type 1 diabetes their was no internet and for me and my mum it was very difficult to understand, you will find lots of help from people on this site, and things do get easier to manage the diabetes if you are willing to help your self :thumbup:
look forward to hearing from you and how you are getting on as time goes on. :thumbup:
Kev

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A few months after I was diagnosed a nurse who lives over the road and is a friend of my wife told me I was being obsessive about my diabetes and that I should stop this stupid diet I was on and just relax and let the professionals guide me, yeah right :lol:

OCD? maybe. Obsessive about reading about diabetes and its care? definitely. You sound perfectly normal to me Bucco, welcome to the club.

By the way, it does all start to make sense and fit into place after a while and the obsession does slow down but as jopar has so wisely said you will never stop learning if you are happy to look for information :D

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I was diagnosed with type 2 roughly three weeks ago and I too am obsessed. I think this stems from the complete lack of help given by my doctor, the fact that I can't speak to the nurse until the 9th of March (!) and (mainly) the fact that I am absolutely TERRIFIED.

I need to feel as though I can do something positive to help myself. I've already lost some vision in my right eye (due to a blood clot but was told at the time that I wasn't diabetic) and my circulation sucks.

I'm so grateful that I came here and read about low carb... I think that will probably be the way forward, for me.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes obsessed and happy. :D

AMBrennan

Yep, and being a full-time student diagnosed during summer holiday with a copyright library at one's doorstep doesn't exactly help :D

Pneu

Bucco for control as a type I nothing beats obsession with testing and understanding! hell I would test once every 15 mins if I thought my poor fingers could take it! as it is every 2 hours has to suffice..

Littleholls

I know how you feel! I am the label reading lady! Also, the docs must be sick of me and my million questions! To me, knowledge is the key to coming to terms with new diagnosis!

alliebee

Yep Im the same, learning all the time, and thank god I am.

Im a theatre sister, newly retired, and I had all the old type of advice, ie eat lots of starchy carbs, my type 2 ( diagnosed) steadily got worse despite me almost starving myself, and it was thanks to this forum that I eventually had the C peptide test which showed that I was actually type 1.5 LADA and was put onto insulin, now with careful attention to my diet, fairly lowish carbing, I manage on a split dose of insulin, and my blood readings show an avarage of 6.5 which considering it was in the high 20's in december, must mean I am doing something right... If not for this forum, and advicce, and teaching myself online, I would have struggled so much..... So heres to the 'learning curve' :clap:

JRB777

my first post after lurking in the background for the last 12 months!

Bucco, I am 40 this year and was diagnosed with type 1 almost 12 months ago. I am pretty fit and healthy playing football, golf and guitar in a gigging band so can really appreciate how you feel.

Being obsessive about your condition and health is a good thing - the more you understand about your condition (I say your condition, because you will learn that everyone with diabetes is different), the better you will manage your health and your day to day life. Everyone can give you advice and information, but it will be you testing and taking the insulin to manage your health!

I found a book called 'Your Way' - Joe's Diabetes - helped me massively - it basically helps you to manage the condition and not the condition manage you, giving you lots of useful advice and explaining a lot about the condition and tips for looking after yourself.

I had a fantastic DN and dietician who got me carb counting almost from the start - I drive as part of my job, so good control and methodical testing is a must (you wouldn't drink and drive, so never drive without testing - this was brought home to me in no uncertain terms by a diabetic under care of my consultant ending up in prison for not testing and being involved in a fatal car crash because of a hypo).

Apart from the usual advice, the one thing that I believe has helped me is to have the same breakfast everyday (something I did before being diabetic)! The reason I think it helps is I know exactly the amount of carbs, how much insulin and how my sugars respond, keeping things really tight and it seems to set me up well for the day ahead - on the days when I fancy a change and eat something different, I never seem to retain the same level of control throughout the day??

12 months on from diagnosis and I am living my life as I always have done (with the exception of my testing and injecting) which includes full participation in my sports and music and so on.

Good luck with your journey and great that you have found here - there are loads of great people with lots of advice and support -thought I should join in after lurking here for the last year :)

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really appreciate the help - can't begin tomsaynhow grateful I am for the support and to know that there are lots of other folk out there who have been/are going through the same thing.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi.
After being in denial the first 6 months gobsmacked and angry over my diagnosis.
I then developed my "new hobby" trowelling through diabetes uk, iddt, and the net hunting for knowledge
to adapt, grow and cope with a new life .
Diabetes never sleeps, nor lets us have a holiday or day off from it ...
Needed the basic facts then the whole book of it to make it my friend n not the enemy as I first saw it !
Does this make sense guys???
Anna.x :D

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have just finished reading Bernstein - I reckon you could condense the whole book into about 10 pages!! Now even more confused, no or low carbs or DAFNE?