Diabetes Study

sarahb81

Hi all,

I am a Masters student at Magee University and I am conducting a dissertation investigating the psychological impact of caring for a child with diabetes.
The aim of the research is to investigate the psychological impact of caring for a child with diabetes in order to fully appreciate the experiences parents face when raising an ill child and how stress, anxiety and coping strategies impacts on this. The study aims to investigate if the intensity of psychological distress is related to time since diagnosis.
By carrying out this investigation, the researchers wish to identify potential risk factors for parents caring for a child with diabetes and in so doing highlight the importance of early intervention and support for parents in order ensure to best care for the chronically ill child.

I would like to ask all parents of children with diabetes, from Northern Ireland, to take part in the study by going to the link posted below.

http://tinyurl.com/35m5fr7

I would really appreciate your input into the study, if you know anyone else who may be interested please pass on the above address.

Kind regards,
Sarah

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any reason you're only doing the study on parents in Northern Ireland? I would have been happy to complete the questionnaire but am in England.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
SophiaW said:
Any reason you're only doing the study on parents in Northern Ireland? I would have been happy to complete the questionnaire but am in England.

Magee University is the University of Ulster. Usually the students are requested to survey their local areas......however if Sarah comes back online I am sure she will answer your question.

Ken

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, that explains it then. I think it would be interesting for someone to do a survey over a wider geographical area for this topic (psycholocial impact on the parents) and publish the results. I know recently that I've had a pretty hard time coping with it all when previously I never imagined it would impact on me so significantly. Perhaps a study like this has already been carried out and published?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
We do have quite a few surveys from Students at times. I don't think there is one similar to this one in the UK.......Yet !

Ken

sarahb81

Hi all,

At this time the study is only for Northern Ireland, due to my location and ethical considerations. Other studies have been conducted around the world but as yet there have been none in the UK, it is my hope that the findings will be published upon completion and I would like to conduct the study on a larger scale in the future to incorporate the whole of the UK.
I'll keep you all posted as to how the study is going, if you have any friends that fit the criteria as it stands at the minute, I would be really grateful if you would pass on the info.

Kind regards,

Sarah