Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle choice

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Spot on bmorgen !

I'd like to ask bigbenn what the weather is like in cuckoo land ?

He'll be curing death next ! Hallelujah !

Superchip

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
bmorgen said:
Sorry but BigBenn's post is riddled with ignorant, possibly delusional, and perhaps dangerous advice. it needs a very big health warning from the moderator and shouldn't have been featured on the forum newsletter as a serious discussion thread. We get enough wacky diet advice from the NHS.

Agree entirely. There was actually debate amongst some of us as to if BigBenn was a new incarnation of an equally delusional poster from a few days prior to that. Some of us just concluded he was just a troll. To then feature the thread on the forum newsletter seems a poor choice indeed!

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big Benn let me keep this simple for you .

You are talking rubbish

Hopeful Alfie

BigBen I appreciate your good intent but the fact remains that once you have been diagnosed T2 you cannot be cured - at all - BUT you can, as obviously you have done, keep your BS levels within normals limits, if you are lucky enough to be able to trim your diet to suit your own needs. This often takes a lot of determination, but constantly reminding oneself of the likely outcome of a bad diet can spur the mind. Your diet will certainly not suit everyone. I was advised not to give up all the foods I liked, but to reduce the intake of them (especially carbs) to a lower level (and sugar to a VERY low level!) to stay within safe limits. I followed this advice and now have my BS under control without medication, but I am still a Type 2 and need to remember this.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm going to cure my T2 diabetes. I'm provisionally setting my target date as April 2016, although I hope to achieve it much sooner.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How are you going to prove it? You don't eat any bl**dy carbs. Can't see you swapping all that squirty cream and lard for healthy starches, grains, lovely processed foods and full sugar Coke. Even a GTT test will mean you have to eat, what, 75 times your normal daily carb intake for days to get anywhere near an accurate result. No one will ever believe you.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
xyzzy said:
How are you going to prove it? You don't eat any bl**dy carbs. Can't see you swapping all that squirty cream and lard for healthy starches, grains, lovely processed foods and full sugar Coke. Even a GTT test will mean you have to eat, what, 75 times your normal daily carb intake for days to get anywhere near an accurate result. No one will ever believe you.

You're entirely right of course. What if I catch diabetes again, while trying to prove that I've cured it?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
borofergie said:
xyzzy said:

You're entirely right of course. What if I catch diabetes again, while trying to prove that I've cured it?

Yes can't have one of the forums top low carb performers catching the diabetes TWICE it will make the rest of us look like bl***dy idiots. Pull yourself together and accept your fate. It's a long long life of lard and squirty cream that lays ahead for you me laddie!

Where's that blasted sheep when you need him. Bu**ered off on that boat of his I expect. He keeps you in order cos you know you and me and those who low carb don't eat enough starch for our brains to function so we're stoopid and need looking after.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Surely bigidiot has cracked just like the one on london ! (Big Ben ! )

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get VERY cross with those who say its a lifestyle choice, yes, in about 50%, but in the rest IF you choose your parents I guess it is, but if you do not, your parent and grand parent had it and were NOT overweight grew all their own foods, nor ate fats and sugar, I would guess, as our doctor says, that its hereditary.
How about the lady up the road, about 5'10", size 0 and weighed using pocket drug scales, yet now diabetic.
So please what lifestyle changes would be suggested?
Absolute bxxxxxxs, yes it is possible to exacerbate the problem, yes some people are pushed over the edge, but please DO NOT assume that all cases of type 2 are through bad lifestyle, they are not.
In fact there are some schools of thought that say that certain wheat (hard wheat red and white, not soft red and white) being eaten through our lives cause it. That has certainly as much credence or possibly more than the "lifestyle" thing.

As an aside, I avoid all hard wheat (Weetibix for example is made from soft wheat they KNOW something as did Ryvita they knew something!) eat Oats, rye, Durham, rice. Milk in quantity gives me a problem, cheese and fromage frais does not so I guess its in the wey, rarely eat potatoes, eat copious veggies of all sorts. Blended whisky knocks me out, just one glass, yet malt OK, 1664 knocks me out (cheap wheat (hard), yet Export 33 I can drink in quantity (malted barley). Cheap wines also knock me out!!! I have been told by "informed" sources that certain wineries "improve" the wine by dumping cheap (read hard) wheat in the brew. Lidl ice cream knocks me out another supplier does not! My cholesterol is about 2, thats all, HDL and LDL together.
So
A/ we are not all the same, B/ is hard cheap wheat the real killer.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am so glad to hear someone say that not all T2s are so through life style, like my mother I have awkward been slim tried to eat healthfully and led an active life style and was shocked when diagnosed with T2 around 6 years ago. Shortly after my health fanatic older brother was also diagnosed and these revelations led to family on both sides saying it is the family although neither of my parents were diagnosed. I always bridle when news, health advisory services etc use bad life style as a reason for diabetes insinuating that if you are a mature T2 it is yiur own fault.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hi. My type 2 was inherited if you like, kept getting scares and after 2 years finally got it my Dr said I would do because my mother had it. Evan so lost over 4st and I am still type 2 apparently it won't matter if I lose any more weight I will still have diabetes

A

Anonymous

bigbenn said:
So what’s the upside? For the last 2 years I have been Diabetes Type 2 free with a normal blood sugar reading of 6.1 from my 3 monthly blood tests. My body organs have regenerated to full health, including my eyes which were failing.

I am in my mid 60’s and I intend to never have Diabetes Type 2 again.

I hope my diet and exercise plan, which is simplicity itself and the cure, automatic, will help those of you willing to give it a try and I would be happy to support and encourage everyone willing to give themselves a second chance with my diet, through this forum.

BigBenn

So, Bigbenn, you will, of course have had a glucose tolerance test to support your claim that you are Diabetes Type 2 free, as must everyone else who claims the same, including those whom Newcastle University claims were diabetes-free three months after the clinical trial. If the test is good enough for diagnosis then it's good enough to prove that people are cured.

I don't have a regimented diet, or measure, weight or count. I have never calculated. I eat whatever comes to mind that day, although I an aware of portion sizes. Last night I had veggie sausages (her choice, not mine), rice, courgettes with sesame seeds and a big dollop of homemade yoghurt with wild garlic. bG was 6.4. My average over a week is 5.6 bG.

However, until a glocuse tolerance test tells me otherwise, I am diabetic.

stanton

I was not overweight when diagnosed. My mum and brother both had type 2 and were very slim people, whereas my father, who was very overweight, did not. I think it can be very misleading when the media etc. keep harping on about the cause of type 2 diabetes being solely a "fat" issue. This can lead people who are not overweight to disregard the symptoms, thinking diabetes does not apply to them.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are merits in some of what the OP said. To some extent, for many of us, T2 is a lifestyle choice.

Genetics pre-dispose some of us to a combination of some or all of: impaired insulin production, impaired fasting glucose (IFG) and insulin resistance. But genetics alone cannot explain the substantial increase in the proportion of the population in some countries that are being diagnosed with the condition.

The unpalatable truth is that many of us, had we maintained a healthy weight, diet and lifestyle, would never have developed the condition. The fact is that the 21st Century western diet contains a lot of highly processed carbohydrate and we have lapped it up. For instance, our ancestors, ate ten times the amount of fibre the average person does now, that is over four times the current GDA.

The underlying conditions that make up diabetes cannot, yet, be cured. Those of us lucky enough to have been diagnosed early, do have an opportunity to make a lifestyle choice that may reverse the progression of the condition. Keeping active, eating a healthy, balanced diet and losing weight can and have been shown to reduce insulin resistance and IFG.

To all intents and purposes, some of us can return ourselves to the position that we can relax our control and remain within 'normal' BG levels without medication, possibly even have an OGTT that comes back below the diagnostic threshold. That may seem like a cure, but returning to an over-indulgent lifestyle, and an unhealthy weight will see our BG control worsen until we, once again, cross the threshold and put ourselves at risk of all the complications.

For those who cannot go the whole way, it has been shown that following the same lifestyle changes reduces the amount of medication they require and can even get T2s off Insulin.

There are a number of books on the subject, I am currently reading one written by a nutritionist that is advocating an approach similar to the one I have been following successfully since diagnosis.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
That's as maybe but at 5'5 and averaging between 8.5 and 9 stone, always active and not given to junk food, alcohol indulgence or poor lifestyle - I have T2 diabetes and nothing will make me come to terms with the implication that this is due to choice of lifestyle. I agree wholeheartedly that poor lifestyle and diet is contributing to rise in diabetes Type 2 but it is NOT the only cause! Even my GP was sufficiently surprised at my diagnosis to agree a second test. My grievance is the insinuation that all T2 diabetes is caused by poor diet and lifestyle or being 'fat'. please note my word 'insinuation'. I go for coffee and or when eating out I cannot help noticing just what some people eat - and feel aggrieved that i cannot eat such things until I think they may be undiagnosed diabetics and, I, at least know and have the option of doing something about it.

kellibabi

Although I'm very happy that bigbenn seems to be doing so well, I'd like to point out that some of us have to work full time for a living & can't be blending smoothies, going off for walks every hour or as & when we feel like it.

When I did my DAFNE course, almost everyone on it with me was in their 60's/70's & would tell everyone how they cook this for breakfast, that for lunch, go out for a walk mid-morning & mid afternoon etc. "Good for you" I thought - muggins here is stuck in an office all day & would get the sack if I informed my boss "just off on a little afternoon walk - back in an hour".

Some of us just have to muddle on & do the best we can & the self-righteous will just have to go poke themselves.

I feel MUCH better now lol!

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All very well this talk of exercise but I have chronic arthritis in my spine and cannot walk very far or very well cannot sit for long or stand for long.
Guess I'll just have to keep my pot belly.