Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle choice

gungerdin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
G/day people i'm a newbee on the block ,I find all these posts interesting ?different opinions and all that and I'm not being critical.
I will just give you my out come, 4years ago the Doc said watch it your sugars getting on the high side , but as normal in one ear and out the other . Then 6 months back he said your type 2 diabetic your averaging over 5.1 in fact 5.2 . Lucky diet controlled only no meds and all that .
So out went the( sweets or lolly ) as we call them chocolate or any sugar sweetened foods no white bread .I completely changed my diet ,and started power walking half HR a day no more no less even if It rains any more than that is a waste .
And If I eat any more greens you will be able to call me cabbage head .Having sad all that last test at the doc was 4.5 .His answer to that was your not diabetic now just keep it up . I also lost 6kg's whilst I was at it .
So am I cured or not?????????? My theory is yes if I eat and keep up the exercise program If not then i'm diabetic.
So that means every( man or woman) and his dog gets diabetes if they don't eat properly and exercise ???????????????

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
G/day people i'm a newbee on the block ,I find all these posts interesting ?different opinions and all that and I'm not being critical.
I will just give you my out come, 4years ago the Doc said watch it your sugars getting on the high side , but as normal in one ear and out the other . Then 6 months back he said your type 2 diabetic your averaging over 5.1 in fact 5.2 . Lucky diet controlled only no meds and all that .
So out went the( sweets or lolly ) as we call them chocolate or any sugar sweetened foods no white bread .I completely changed my diet ,and started power walking half HR a day no more no less even if It rains any more than that is a waste .
And If I eat any more greens you will be able to call me cabbage head .Having sad all that last test at the doc was 4.5 .His answer to that was your not diabetic now just keep it up . I also lost 6kg's whilst I was at it .
So am I cured or not?????????? My theory is yes if I eat and keep up the exercise program If not then i'm diabetic.
So that means every( man or woman) and his dog gets diabetes if they don't eat properly and exercise ???????????????
5.2 what?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gungerdin

Are you sure you are quoting the right numbers, as I do not recognize what test result of 5,2 could be that made you diabetic. Neither an hba1c of 5,2% or a fasting glucose of 5,2 mmol are anywhere near being diabetic numbers; both being in fact in the non diabetic range. So I am a little confused.

Even if you meant to write A1c of 6,2% that would only indicate pre-diabetes not diabetes.

Irrespective, if by your statement you mean that whether one goes on to develop diabetes is a matter of lifestyle choice. I would only partly agree as, while bad lifestyle choices may play a role, so do other factors such as genetics and medication taken.

If by your statement you mean that by making the right lifestyle changes one can cure his diabetes then I would prefer the words "control" or "manage" used in place of the word "cure", which may be building an unrealistic expectation in the case of many of us; although I do understand that a few are claiming to have reversed their diabetes.

All the best

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Before my misdiagnosis, I was advised by docs and DSNs to 'diet' and exercise!
My exercise daily at that time was a full shift walking on a production line and you had to be fit to do that. I had 4 teenagers that kept me on my feet and when not working I was busy doing chores, housework, sporting things with my kids etc. My weight increased because I was eating the wrong things, for me, carbs and sugars!
Since eating very low carbs everything has changed.
However if in my mindset I decided to change my diet, the symptoms would return and my BSLs would soar and I would put on weight again!
You have to decide what's best for you by testing and experimenting.
Low carbing for me is a no brainer!
If you are in control your energy levels increase, your BSLs normalise, your BP, cholestrol. Liver function and fatty liver decrease etc.
You actually feel better and fitter!
Am I cured?
No!
Will I ever be cured?
No!
Will I lose my intolerance to carbs and sugars?
No!
Will I suffer from complications?
Probably, but not for a long time if I'm in control!
Will I ever come off my meds?
Never!
Will I ever be T1 or T2 etc?
Probably, as my pancreas will eventually give out!
I am a realist with a serious condition, if I ignore what is obvious, then I will become seriously ill!
Do I want that?
No way!
Is there a cure for T2 diabetes?
Not yet!
Not until something can normalise insulin and glucagon production from your pancreas and your endocrine system can handle a normal amount of carbs and sugars!

Reactions: 5 people

gungerdin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 what?
Sorry I forgot to add that was A1c fasting reading from the local Lab .Or what ever they read..As I say I am new at this carry on .But I have noticed that
different country's have different standards ,in this country NZ 5.1 and over your classified as diabetic ...

gungerdin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before my misdiagnosis, I was advised by docs and DSNs to 'diet' and exercise!
My exercise daily at that time was a full shift walking on a production line and you had to be fit to do that. I had 4 teenagers that kept me on my feet and when not working I was busy doing chores, housework, sporting things with my kids etc. My weight increased because I was eating the wrong things, for me, carbs and sugars!
Since eating very low carbs everything has changed.
However if in my mindset I decided to change my diet, the symptoms would return and my BSLs would soar and I would put on weight again!
You have to decide what's best for you by testing and experimenting.
Low carbing for me is a no brainer!
If you are in control your energy levels increase, your BSLs normalise, your BP, cholestrol. Liver function and fatty liver decrease etc.
You actually feel better and fitter!
Am I cured?
No!
Will I ever be cured?
No!
Will I lose my intolerance to carbs and sugars?
No!
Will I suffer from complications?
Probably, but not for a long time if I'm in control!
Will I ever come off my meds?
Never!
Will I ever be T1 or T2 etc?
Probably, as my pancreas will eventually give out!
I am a realist with a serious condition, if I ignore what is obvious, then I will become seriously ill!
Do I want that?
No way!
Is there a cure for T2 diabetes?
Not yet!
Not until something can normalise insulin and glucagon production from your pancreas and your endocrine system can handle a normal amount of carbs and sugars!
Sorry for the ignorance on the diabetic issue I'm still trying to find out the inside and out side of the Magpies backside ..Every body seems to have different opinions on the issue which is the correct one? All I am saying is 6 months ago I was diagnosed A diet controlled type 2 diabetic but now 6 months later i'm not .
So the main reason I loged on this site is to find out more info and no better people to talk to then people that have diabetes and are willing to talk about it .Which I might add is appreciated .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry for the ignorance on the diabetic issue I'm still trying to find out the inside and out side of the Magpies backside ..Every body seems to have different opinions on the issue which is the correct one? All I am saying is 6 months ago I was diagnosed A diet controlled type 2 diabetic but now 6 months later i'm not .
So the main reason I loged on this site is to find out more info and no better people to talk to then people that have diabetes and are willing to talk about it .Which I might add is appreciated .
The reason for the diverse opinions are because of the reality that all diabetics and medical histories are different so what might suit you, won't fit with me.
The one thing that the majority agree with by experience is low carbing and staying away from sugars or anything that raises blood glucose levels sharply known as a spike.
Have a good look around and educate yourself and make a choice of what would suit you and your tastes.
There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that are willing to give good advice on their experiences and would welcome questions on almost anything.
Welcome, stay around and join in.