Diabetes UK's dietary advice

dwilson32392

I've just read the diet advice on D>UK's website. At one point it says that in the past, diabetes patients were advised to reduce their carb intake, but that this was shown to have adverse health effects. I am quite unaware of any studies which support this assertion. Is this yet another undocumented 'frightener', or have they ,for once, have some evidence? It really is enormously important that D.UK is a source of objective advice, even if this means being at odds with the American Diabetic Association. Could one of our organisers get some feedback from D.UK on this issue.

David Wilson

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I know when my mum was a diabetic in the 80s, a few times I had to come with her to the hospital as she couldn't get childcare. I was about 10 and not yet a diabetic myself - I remember she was given carbohydrate exchanges I think she had about 12 portions a day of 10g each (don't quote me on that, very rusty memory) - BUT carbs were definitely controlled in those days. When I was diagnosed in the early 90s the focus was more on low sugar and healthy diet - certainly carbohydrate exchanges were never mentioned to me, in fact nothing to do with carbs specifically (as opposed to sugar) until I did DAFNE in 2006.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sorry David but this forum is nothing to do with Diabetes UK which is a charity :D Many people disagree with their dietary advice but no one here has anything to do with them, as far as I am aware.

jopar

I was diagnosed in 1989, and yep I prescribed my carbs, which was 13 (130g) exchanges a day, which can't be consider a promotion of high carbs, when at the time I was in my 20's had a 4 years, and just found out my 2nd was on his way...

It was a dietician that sorted out my carb/exchange allowance, first she did suggest 180g's a day but I just couldn't eat that much food, so it was reduced to a more comfortable amount for my appetite then my consultant tinkered with my insulin... Mind you saying that I must admit having to eat 13 exchanges every day I did find a struggle..

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think anyone has any evidence that a controlled carb diet or even a low carb diet, is harmful.
There is evidence that very tight control, when managed on a high dose drug regime is dangerous, but the only studies I know of low carb diets shows them to be a positive move.
I've asked for the evidence against low carb many times, but no-one seems to be able to find the references for me and I sure can't find them for myself.
How about you ask for it and pass it on?
The most recent inquiry I made, put me on to a Cochrane report, which when I traced it back, didn't lead to any evidence. I had thought Cochrane techniques were meant to eliminate things like that
Hana

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
DUK/the NHS in general have some sort of thing against low carb diets. A therapist would call it an 'issue'. I think it would be such a u-turn for them to admit that the high carb advice they've been giving diabetics for years is at best not the only solution and at worst downright harmful, is such a big u-turn, that they can't even contemplate making it.