DIABETIC CAT

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi All,
My name is Sooty 8) I have started this thread because Fergus has decided that he does not want cats 8) on his thread ( have you no shame Fergus ) so any 8) cats out there you are quite welcome here. So here is my story:
I'm 13 year old spayed black cat 8) insulin dependant on a no carb diet, mainly meat fish and an occasional mouse. I have'nt got a clue what my HbA1c is or any of the other blood test results as my Vet is reluctant to give me this info. My main problem is injecting the insulin find it very difficult holding the syringe ( took ages to type this its difficult with paws ) can any body offer me any advice to make things a bit easier :?: Must go can hear all those wailing toms outside.

Have a purrfect night Sooty

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Dear Sooty,hi my name is Bob and my advice is to get one of those two legged slaves,called humans.Their paws are well adapted to injecting insulin and they are always willing to fed you and,of course they are great for drying your feet on when you have been out in the rain! :lol:

Bob,proud owner of the same slave for 15 years.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Sooty.
It looks like your pet human slaves are doing good work for you. I note you are on the Catkins diet. This should help to keep you fit and well.
black cats are lucky Yea?
wishing you well
Primrose ( Jellicle) and Orlando (marmalade) Rous

SilverAndEbony

Hi Sooty,

I'm Dennis. I am a beautiful black and white tom cat.
This is being posted by a friend of a friend. Not only am I a diabetic cat, I'm in need of a new home :(
The nice people at the Bristol and District branch of Cats Protection are looking for a home for me. But as I'm 14 years of age, and diabetic I'm still waiting for someone to wise up and enjoy my company. I quite like showering affection on humans - as long as they don't expect me to sit on their laps. They feed me a nice special diet, but don't ask me what's in it! But I do wish they'd stop poking me with a needle every day!
If you want to see my picture it's on the internet!
http://bristol.cats.org.uk/index.asp?m=gallery&id=3&p=4

I hope you are fit and well, Sooty.

Take care,

Dennis,

ps Silver is and Ebony was looked after by SilverAndEbony, who posted this for me.

Katharine

Hi I'm Merlyperly and I'm a big orange Maine Coon. I'm a big softie and I'm addicted to Gourmet cat food. I have my humans well trained and my favourite thing is to jump on my bed when they are keeping it warm from me when I come in soaking wet at 4.30am.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Girls,
I set out on wednesday to do a bit of fishing (fishing for loonies that is) can you guess how many I caught, its not too hard a question is it :( :( :( . You have now become another statistic In my quest to to uncover all the closet loons on this forum. Don't bother to question my sanity for starting this thread as I have my discharge papers and medication to prove otherwise. :roll:

Bye for now Graham

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
It's NOT loony to love cats and some do have diabetes. I think you're the loony.
hana

Reactions: 2 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
If a low carb diet is the nearest thing we have to a cure, why do carnivorous cats suffer?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
graham64 said:
Hi Girls,
I set out on wednesday to do a bit of fishing (fishing for loonies that is) can you guess how many I caught, its not too hard a question is it :( :( :( . You have now become another statistic In my quest to to uncover all the closet loons on this forum. Don't bother to question my sanity for starting this thread as I have my discharge papers and medication to prove otherwise. :roll:

Bye for now Graham

Weel ,weel,Graham,jist tae let ye ken,I'm a quine nae a loon,and I dar sweer Hana 'n Katherine are quines an a'.On the ither han',Graham,ye are definitely a loon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Hi Hana,
Don't judge me to harshly it was only a bit of fun. Sooty was my pet cat and yes she did have diabetes and I had to inject her daily. With the insulin and t.l.c she got an extra 2 years of a very pampered life.

All the best Graham

hanadr said:
It's NOT loony to love cats and some do have diabetes. I think you're the loony.
hana

graham64

Dislikes
Have you been on the bottle Sue :?: Or does Bob normally post your messages :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Nae ,nae Graham ,mae loon ,at's jist the wey I spekk fan I'm nae on here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Good point Ian, perhaps if cat food was analysed we'd probably find a load of added ingredients :evil:

All the best Graham

IanD said:
If a low carb diet is the nearest thing we have to a cure, why do carnivorous cats suffer?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
My local vet, says that diabetic cats are given what they call the "Catkins" diet, which is virtually carb free. If there's any GENUINE intrest in this, I'll research it. Not however, just to supply a source of giggles about loonies
Hana
the question we should be asking is "If T2 is a lifestyle disease, caused by obesity and indolence, why aren't ALL obese inactive people diabetic?

graham64

Dislikes
I've got friends there you can't fool me it's the definitely a wee dram or 6 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sober ( for now ) Graham
sugarless sue said:
Nae ,nae Graham ,mae loon ,at's jist the wey I spekk fan I'm nae on here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
(back to english) If I remember rightly there are such delicacies as ash in some cat foods.Ok here goes,Cereals min.4% rice in white pellets,Veg protein extracts,meat and animal derivatives,oil and fats ,minerals,yeast,veg.Protein 32%,Fat 10% Ash 7% Fibre 3% etc etc. that is Go cat senior cat food BTW.

graham64

Dislikes
Hi again Hana,
My last post to you was the truth, sadly I lost Sooty to cancer a few years ago so please accept that I do care about cats.I dont think this is the right thread to discuss your next point but I leave you somthing to ponder on:

I'm 6ft tall weigh 11st 3lb have never been overweight in my life no family history of diabetes,I have always led an active life style, yet I was diagnosed T2 in april this year.

Hope you still love me Graham :oops:

Hana
the question we should be asking is "If T2 is a lifestyle disease, caused by obesity and indolence, why aren't ALL obese inactive people diabetic?[/quote]

graham64

Dislikes
Hi Sue
That could be a reason for a lot of cat diseases we just buy the tins and feed them without knowing about the added ingredients

quote="sugarless sue"](back to english) If I remember rightly there are such delicacies as ash in some cat foods.Ok here goes,Cereals min.4% rice in white pellets,Veg protein extracts,meat and animal derivatives,oil and fats ,minerals,yeast,veg.Protein 32%,Fat 10% Ash 7% Fibre 3% etc etc. that is Go cat senior cat food BTW.[/quote]

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Graham
I know how it feels to lose a companion animal. It has happened to me many times. I used to show and breed Italian Greyhounds and have helped them into the world and also sadly, out of it.
I read somewhere that Pain is the price we pay for love.
I am one of the overweight ones and get fed up with the assumption made by many people,that somehow, I have "brought this condition upon myself" and that if I could lose weight, things would be better. Do THEY think, I'm overweight on purpose. (they're talking about it on radio 4 at the moment. ) i have lost about 40 lbs. in a year and am still, Technically, obese. just over 14 stone and 5 feet 8
There's evidence in my family that genetis is a factor. my grandmother had T2 and my mother's sister died at age 68 of a stroke. I'd be sure she had undiagnosed T2. I had a stroke in 2003. My aunt was the typical apple shape. Quite a few membersof my extended family are "bonny". i don't know how many more will develop T2.
You put the pictures of homeless cats up didn't you. Wasn't there a diabetic one? couldn't you give him/her a home in Sooty's memory?