Diabetic neuropathy

mj224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Noise and nagging
I am feeling numbness in my fingers, especially felt in the show with warm water,

Not particularly noticeable during the daytime.

If this is indeed my type 2 Diabetes, thus nerve damage, is it reversible with better diet control?

At present, first thing in the morning my readings are around 9, sometimes a little higher if I have had a drink (alcohol) in the previous evening...

Really the first evidence of Diabetic degeneration...

TIA

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

mj224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Noise and nagging
Many thanks...:)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

No-one here really can determine whether or not what you're experiencing is neuropathy or even diabetes related at all. My neuropathy concerns both damage to the long nerves in my feet ( resulting in a persistent mild tingle, definitely not pain theses days) and some (again apparently permanent) autonomic neuropathy which affects mainly my gut and sweating.

However this is a vast improvement over the situation pre-2019 when I had constant foot pain, particularly at night, plus fairly acute kidney and gut issues. The difference as I see it is really down to a marked reduction in my BG levels post 2019. Unfortunately I did not address this sooner, and I've left myself with some permamnent damage as a result.

I can't say for certain that reducing your BG will or would help with your symptoms. However, it's worth a try.

mj224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Noise and nagging
Thanks for your reply Kenny, I am only readings bout the condition. One of the possible causes is alcohol, and linked with Diabetes, not a good recipe.

I am trying to reduce the Alc, and have some degree of success. A curse of a drug if taken by it...:(

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply Kenny, I am only readings bout the condition. One of the possible causes is alcohol, and linked with Diabetes, not a good recipe.

I am trying to reduce the Alc, and have some degree of success. A curse of a drug if taken by it...:(
I think the key issue is that some other things might also cause symptoms that would look and feel very like the various types of diabetic neuropathy - largely because they also damage nerves. It's very difficult to determine, and the medics don't seem to have any definite way of working out which is what. You can't therefore ever be certain that what you're experiencing is diabetes-related - not everything is.

Reactions: Lainie71 and Prancy

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ends of my fingers go numb, my toes and the end of my nose. When the numbness starts to recede then the pain of it. I thought I had some peripheral vascular thing going on, but it turns out it‘s secondary Raynard’s. It started with some meds. I stopped them and informed my Dr. That was a few months ago. I still have it. If it gets chilly or I’m stressed it appears. I found that there are lots of things that can cause numbness, some are harmless, some need investigating. I would speak to your Dr.

Reactions: mj224

mj224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Noise and nagging
Thanks for the advice...I should do, but always afraid of criticism at the medics...

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand why people who ask such questions don't go to the doctor. You can't draw conclusions from people's messages from the forum!
@mj224 had already said they were afraid of criticism at the medics in post #8 just above yours. Not everyone finds it easy to go to the drs for various reasons @rubyparkfj and a bit of empathy goes a long way!

Also by asking on this forum, it's then often easier to go to the drs well informed, and able to ask the dr questions. We can't diagnose, as we're not medically trained, but there is a wealth of information on this forum, and folks real life experience has helped many people with type 2 put their diabetes into remission, for example, when the nhs advice with the eatwell plate has led to them being given more and more medication.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I don't understand why people who ask such questions don't go to the doctor. You can't draw conclusions from people's messages from the forum!

Sadly in my experience it’s best to go to the docs with as much info as possible.

I’ve been fobbed of with misinformation from all types including doctors who should know better