Diabetic review Results, AM so disappointed.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are all well.

Well I have had my diabetic review this week and just got my results.

Today HbA1C – 6.3%, This was 6.6% in Feb 11, so only down 0.3%

Today cholesterol:
LDL 4.4%
HDL – 1.3%
Trigs – 1.3%

In Feb 11 they where
LDL – 5.5%
HLD – 1.4%
Trigs – Don’t know.

Doctor said regarding the Hba1C that this level of 6.3% is very good and that my diabetes is well controlled.

But he is concerned with my cholesterol levels esp my LDL level, that is has come down, but not come down far enough.!

Wy do I feel so disappointed with my Hba1C and cholesterol levels, as I have been low-carbing and exercising as well, was expecting my Hba1C to be in the very low 6’s or mid to high 5’s.

With my cholesterol, I am just gutted, yes it has come down a little, but I am still so disappointed.

You guys got any ideas or am I expecting too much.??

Hope to hear from you soon.

Simply_h.

Fallenstar

Hi S
Are you on Statins?

I would be over the moon with those labs to be honest :D Well done...good control Hba1C wise, to me if it had moved up I would be concerned but it has moved in a positive direction so :D :D :D .

Maybe a statin might be worth adding if you/they want it lower...but it's not bad.

Remember these labs are a snap shot into a window of time, What you do for the long haul is the most important, it is not all about numbers on a piece of paper, it is about your body as whole benefiting from a good diet and exercise...and most importantly feeling fit and well :D If you don't feel this on what you are doing and your labs start to reflect this then you may want to reevaluate your routine.

But to me with those fab results, well done is all I can say...sorry!

Grazer

I'm on statins, last test was 5.5, my dsn said this was great so don't need to test for another twelve months. I'd love your LDL reading! Cheer up, everything is going down, you've done well

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I think an HbA1c of 6.3 is really good, and it's come down too so you should be well pleased!

It may come down further over time but, if not, it's still pretty good compared to the majority of doctors T2 patients.

IMHO, the HbA1c is by far the more important number. I personally don't buy into the whole cholesterol thing and I am a statin refuser. Even so, I was bitterly disappointed when my total cholesterol readings went up after another three months of control, dieting and weight loss. This was despite my HbA1c coming down!

This lead to (another) disagreement with my doctor who could offer no explanation but, nontheless, felt that it reinforced the need for taking statins (which I refused again).

If you really want to lower your cholesterol, the statins will achieve that, but I think you should be delighted that you've controlled your HbA1c so well.

simply_h

Cheers guys for your replys.

I was just really hacked off at the time, as I expected so much more.!

Yea the doctors has try and put me on Satins, but told him no, as I want to continue with diet and more exersize.

I guess I have to look at it this way, its all coming down, which is good, will have to work harder in the gym and see how much it changes in 3 months.

Thank you.

Simply_h

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, SImply_h

I agree with Dougie about cholesterol and statins - my total is in the mid-5s (I'm so concerned I can't remember what it is! :lol: ) and my doctor is okay with that. No way would I consider going back on statins.

Did they give you a total:HDL ratio? That should be less than 5, and my GP says that's the most important.

LDL - 3.3 or lower;
HDL - 1.04 or above
Trigs - 1.70 or lower; the lower the better!

Are you losing weight? I've heard it said that cholesterol/blood lipid levels can rise a bit as body fat is mobilised and used up, but it should settle down again.

The triglycerides are the real baddies, apparently, and you're below target on those. on't let it get to you. :wink:

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As others have said, dont be despondent Simply_h, everything is moving in the right direction.

You should be proud of yourself :D