Diabetic type 1 and depressed on antidepressants.

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I was put on sertraline at the beginning of the week by my GP as i have been feeling so bad for as long as i can remember.

Thing is I haven't told my employer that I'm diabetic, i only recently started the job over a month ago. Previously trying to get a job was a nightmare if id put diabetic on the application form. I got this job coincidently without telling them i was diabetic.

Anyway, i'm suffering from depression and its really affecting me big time, i feel sad, lonely, helpless, thoughts of suicide, lack of motivation, no energy, cant sleep, over eating, eating the wrong things, not testing my sugars, guessing the amount of insulin i should take and even crying for nothing.

As far as I remember I havent been the same person since being diagnosed nearly two years ago and noting has been good in life for me since then, except getting this job. I thought my life was back on track, generally felt better about myself and was on a roll quietly hiding the fact that i was depressed and in denial that i even had diabetes.

I'm off work at the minute for a different reason, my bathroom was flooded by the kids and the ceiling caved through and this has added to the stress and brought me down more. I seen my GP and told her about how I'm feeling, she just gave me the tabs and asked me back in 4 weeks.

I cant bring myself round to talk to work about it, and i cant motivate myself to get back to work, i dont wana be around colleagues and work people, never mind my friends. I just dont want to do anything at all, i just about thinking and thinking and I really cant get my mind straight to get up and get on with life.

Am I wrong to not want to go work? Or do anything I usually enjoy doing.

Please help.

Aaron.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I've been type 1 for almost 18 years (diagnosed age 6) am 23 now and only until recently (last month) I've started to take it more seriously. I mean I used to eat whatever and whenever and didn't tell people I was diabetic as I find it embarrassing as then I've always had a million and one questions about it!

I feel low from time to time and really do believe I am still in denial about it even after all these years!

I know I'm not a saint when it comes to my own diabetes but at least take your insulin properly as that might make you feel a tiny bit better within yourself!

I hope this helps as you are definitely not alone in feeling ******!!

Take care, Laura

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't know what your doctor has said about anti-depressants but they do take some time to work into your system. I take them and had my dose increased and my doctor said they would take 6-8 weeks to begin to work. Also you may need to try different ones. My depression is not diabetes related. I was diagnosed in 1997 but I think I was in denial until 2010. I'm not the best diabetic I take all my meds but have such a sweet tooth that I can't give up sweet things. I'm sure you will get on track. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Don't give up!