Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grandson is in Lincoln with 6 assignments to complete and several exams coming up so local elections not a priority with him at moment and as he hasn't aranged a proxy vote or postal vote his vote will remain unused this time round the rest of us are going to vote when Judith's finished work.

As for the bank holiday as Judith works Wednesday to Friday and I'm retired we have all Mondays off any way.

Did he not register for a vote in Lincoln? Both my grandchildren have done this in Manchester where they are at uni, even though they come home in the holidays. As it happened, the grandson ended up with poll card at home and in Manchester. He could have voted twice.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is called the May Day Bank Holiday.

Thanks, @Bluetit1802 . :)

@Guzzler , about the only holiday I try to actually keep now is Christmas. As for Easter and Good Friday and Whitsunday/Pentecost, I sort of observe them, in passing, as it were. I used to go to church for them all but haven't done that since I moved to the city where I live now. It's too hard to get to church. I miss it, but about half of what I miss is the friends I was with at those services. For the rest, I love the hymns and the liturgy, but it's too difficult to get to church on my own.

I visited my old church today, just walking around on my own, enjoying the quiet and the beauty. If asked, I would say I do not believe in ghosts, but at times and places like today, I realize there is ... something. I could almost actually hear echoes and see glimmers of activities I took part in there. And the portraits of past clergy called up memories of more; like John Lennon said, "Some are dead and some are living," and some, well, I don't know where they are.

But that is what Easter is all about, isn't it? :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks, @Bluetit1802 . :)

@Guzzler , about the only holiday I try to actually keep now is Christmas. As for Easter and Good Friday and Whitsunday/Pentecost, I sort of observe them, in passing, as it were. I used to go to church for them all but haven't done that since I moved to the city where I live now. It's too hard to get to church. I miss it, but about half of what I miss is the friends I was with at those services. For the rest, I love the hymns and the liturgy, but it's too difficult to get to church on my own.

I visited my old church today, just walking around on my own, enjoying the quiet and the beauty. If asked, I would say I do not believe in ghosts, but at times and places like today, I realize there is ... something. I could almost actually hear echoes and see glimmers of activities I took part in there. And the portraits of past clergy called up memories of more; like John Lennon said, "Some are dead and some are living," and some, well, I don't know where they are.

But that is what Easter is all about, isn't it? :)

In the city where I grew up there are two cathedrals neither of which are very old but even as a child I would go in on my own. It sounds odd but though I have been an atheist for about thirty years I still enjoy the sense of peace and calm that sitting in a place of worship brings. These days, though, it is mediaeval churches, abbeys and castles I visit (but these are events that have become very rare). Winchester is a cathedral on my bucket list as is Exeter cathedral. One day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Did he not register for a vote in Lincoln? Both my grandchildren have done this in Manchester where they are at uni, even though they come home in the holidays. As it happened, the grandson ended up with poll card at home and in Manchester. He could have voted twice.
No he didn't annoying thing is some of his friends did and voted in Lincoln. :banghead:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the city where I grew up there are two cathedrals neither of which are very old but even as a child I would go in on my own. It sounds odd but though I have been an atheist for about thirty years I still enjoy the sense of peace and calm that sitting in a place of worship brings. These days, though, it is mediaeval churches, abbeys and castles I visit (but these are events that have become very rare). Winchester is a cathedral on my bucket list as is Exeter cathedral. One day.
I took the opportunity while visiting Keiran at Lincoln to have a look round the cathedral was interested to see it as my 19th great grandmother Katherine Swynford is actually interred there.

I also like Liverpool RC cathedral went there last when my son was playing trombone in his school band at the cathedral .

Exeter cathedral is well worth the visit not been to Winchester yet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I took the opportunity while visiting Keiran at Lincoln to have a look round the cathedral was interested to see it as my 19th great grandmother Katherine Swynford is actually interred there.

I also like Liverpool RC cathedral went there last when my son was playing trombone in his school band at the cathedral .

You are a descendant of Katherine Swynford? Oh My Days! Much history, much envy!

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Blimey royal connections. How on earth did you get back to the 1300's? Published pedigree? I can also do that with my maiden name sakes, but only because there is a published pedigree, and an annoying break in the 1500's to my particular branch. No-one nationally famous though.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Please tell me your connection is through the Beaufort line rather than the DeRoet line, though the DeRoet line must be interesting too.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm on tenterhooks here, I can't believe I might be conversing with an actual Plantagenet. :wideyed:

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I regret that I haven't visited any of England's medieval cathedrals. I have visited St Paul's, and Westminster Cathedral, but they're both relatively new. I've also visited Westminster Abbey, and the lovely St Edward's church in Stow-on-the-Wold.

And Notre-Dame de Paris.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I regret that I haven't visited any of England's medieval cathedrals. I have visited St Paul's, and Westminster Cathedral, but they're both relatively new. I've also visited Westminster Abbey, and the lovely St Edward's church in Stow-on-the-Wold.

And Notre-Dame de Paris.
Castles to see before I expire, Stirling, Edinburgh, Ludlow and the ruins of Tintagel.. Then in succession the coastal castles of Wales the first of which has to be Beaumaris.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Castles to see before I expire, Stirling, Edinburgh, Ludlow and the ruins of Tintagel.. Then in succession the coastal castles of Wales the first of which has to be Beaumaris.

I would like to see Caernarfon and Caerphilly. And Warkworth, and Neuschwanstein.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I would like to see Caernarfon and Caerphilly. And Warkworth, and Neuschwanstein.
I think that you would love a visit to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Dripping wet in history and a vista that surely can't be beaten. Close by the castles of Dunstanburgh and Bamborough and not so very far to York Minster. Sigh...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that you would love a visit to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Dripping wet in history and a vista that surely can't be beaten. Close by the castles of Dunstanburgh and Bamborough and not so very far to York Minster. Sigh...

Yes, I think I would too. :)

And I would like to see Beverley Minster too.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And Brancepeth Castle, which features in one of my favorite poems.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning all you lovely Duckies. The eldest saw a beautiful Chocolate Labrador at the rescue centre this week. Sadly, she had a Reserved label on her. Otherwise it was wall to wall Staffies.

Reactions: Shas3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And Brancepeth Castle, which features in one of my favorite poems.
Reminds me of the song Bobbie Shafto's gone to sea.
The song is said to supposedly relate the story of how he broke the heart of Bridget Belasyse of Brancepeth Castle, County Durham, where his brother Thomas was rector, when he married Anne Duncombe of Duncombe Park in Yorkshire. Bridget Belasyse is said to have died two weeks after hearing the news, although other sources claim that she died a fortnight before the wedding of pulmonary tuberculosis.

Even if the song was not composed about him, his supporters almost certainly added a verse for the 1761 elections with the lyrics:
Bobby Shafto's looking out,
All his ribbons flew about,
All the ladies gave a shout,
Hey for Bobby Shafto!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Reminds me of the song Bobbie Shafto's gone to sea.
The song is said to supposedly relate the story of how he broke the heart of Bridget Belasyse of Brancepeth Castle, County Durham, where his brother Thomas was rector, when he married Anne Duncombe of Duncombe Park in Yorkshire. Bridget Belasyse is said to have died two weeks after hearing the news, although other sources claim that she died a fortnight before the wedding of pulmonary tuberculosis.

Even if the song was not composed about him, his supporters almost certainly added a verse for the 1761 elections with the lyrics:
Bobby Shafto's looking out,
All his ribbons flew about,
All the ladies gave a shout,
Hey for Bobby Shafto!

Thanks for posting that. I had heard the name of Bobby Shafto but knew nothing about him. :)

The poem I mentioned is one of Robert Browning's Cavalier Tunes:

Forty miles off, like a roebuck at bay,
Flouts Castle Brancepeth the Roundheads' array.
Who laughs, "Good fellows ere this, by my fay,
Boot, saddle, to horse, and away!"

Which I first learned in a novel set in Arizona! :)

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Then, God for King Charles! Pym and his snarls
To the Devil that pricks on such pestilent carles!
Hold by the right, you double your might;
So, onward to Nottingham, fresh for the fight,

Nottingham area is where I now live it has a Castle you may want to put on your to see one day list :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also live in a town with a castle, or at least what remains of it (mainly just the castle keep). It is Norman and is now a lovely spot to visit with an atrium bistro-cafe, a museum, and a birds eye view of the town. It also housed the North West Sound Archives, maybe it still does, I don't know.