Diabetics to get 'artificial pancreas' on NHS which injects insulin via body-worn tracker

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, as ever it'll be some diabetics.

I'm currently on something very similar anyway (I did have a heck of a fight to get it mind) - I'm on the Medtronic 670g that works with their sensors, the 780g is a better version and you need to do less with it apparently, the similar BBC news story showed what looked like a medtronic pump (probably the 780g) instead of the one that article linked above shows.

And they are obviously not just artificial pancreases, you still have to know what you're eating and have to deal with exercise and lows - the one I have has had a huge effect and has made my life a lot easier, but there is still quite a bit of work - admittedly I'm on the slightly older variant

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember when the Freestyle Libre first came out the NHS only gave it to people with bad control, which is the usual way people are rewarded for failure. Then, as we know, they eventually gave it to all Type 1s. So maybe this will follow a similar trajectory.

Reactions: Ipodlistener

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember when the Freestyle Libre first came out the NHS only gave it to people with bad control, which is the usual way people are rewarded for failure. Then, as we know, they eventually gave it to all Type 1s. So maybe this will follow a similar trajectory.
Whilst some people may not look after themselves in terms of their diabetes, there are others who, despite trying everything to get better control aren't able to, without the help of Libre/Dexcom on its own, or hybrid closed loop pumps. This shouldn't be seen as 'failure' by them or anyone else.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst some people may not look after themselves in terms of their diabetes, there are others who, despite trying everything to get better control aren't able to, without the help of Libre/Dexcom on its own, or hybrid closed loop pumps. This shouldn't be seen as 'failure' by them or anyone else.
Indeed, for myself the reason I got a pump with sensors was cos my levels overnight were that unpredictable and followed no pattern that to control it I would have literally have to have checked my sugar levels every 2 hours or so overnight and then the 45 min commute to work at 7:15am would have been dangerous to say the least and doing work just wouldn't happen

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Unfortunately, the media is somewhat sensationalist re the actual current status.

Kindly note the new NICE guidance is only still under development and a long way off implementation - if you are potentially impacted and interested please, please read in depth and comment before the draft guidance review is closed for comments on 31 January using the NICE online link (open to the public but you need to create a NICE account to comment) . I couldn't get the link to the online comments to load here, but see below and try yourselves -

Reactions: BadaBing

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"We have seen fantastic results from the real-world trials which have taken place and thank you to NICE for their review of the evidence and subsequent conclusions.”

At least the trial I was part of seems to have paid off :) It hit a year this December and for me was life changing so it’s very exciting that they are going to be offering it to more people.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve just waded through some of the NICE documents. It seems that the closed loop is being considered for children and for pregnant T1s. However, there’s some suggestion that it’ll also be considered for those whose difficulty managing T1 is likely to lead to complications.
And as with everything, cost comparisons are a big part of the discussion.
Has anyone else a memory of LooperCat’s delight to be part of the Cardiff implant trial?
I wonder if implants, linked to real-time CGMs, have a better future than the closed loop?
Anything that makes the daily grind of T1 easier to cope with is an improvement; for us.
The NICE docs also mention the difficulties of choosing, and affording, food that helps blood sugar levels.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unfortunately, the media is somewhat sensationalist re the actual current status.

Kindly note the new NICE guidance is only still under development and a long way off implementation - if you are potentially impacted and interested please, please read in depth and comment before the draft guidance review is closed for comments on 31 January using the NICE online link (open to the public but you need to create a NICE account to comment) . I couldn't get the link to the online comments to load here, but see below and try yourselves -

Thank you for the link.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As an oldie who’s been on MDI, for 53 years, despite repeated requests for a pump, and who’s had initially to self fund any sensors, alarm systems, easy view of blood sugars systems, I fear that even if the hybrid loop is agreed by NICE it’ll be the same old postcode lottery we know of old.
I hope those who really need it will get it.