Diabetis 2, Frozen Shoulders.

Rev-T

Has anybody had an issue with frozen shoulders caused by diabetis? Both my shoulders are affected and I now have limited movement and very painfull shoulders. Have had one injection but has not helped another, waiting for another one!
Have been told can take years to improve or may never completely go away due to diabetis.
Only been diagnosed for a year, doctors missed it for over two half years during Covid!

Thanks for listening.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Left shoulder got frozen and painful just before 2020. Fortunately the hydracortisol they put in did hit the spot. The radiologist who put it in xrayed my shoulder first.
My pain eased and then I no longer had phsyio due to the clinic got closed by the over reaction (IMO) towards Covid then consequently my movement has never really improved much though I am now trying to keep to the regular exercises again.
Practically this has no impact but I would like to be able to gym lifts such as shoulder press, pull up and snatch which I cannot do because my arm won't travel back behind my neck.
Initially I'd be focussing on easing the pain then on getting regular phsio sessions to motivate you to keep the movement going. A sports massage may help once the pain has been dealt with.
And yes I have been told that ti is more common in the middle aged , female and diabetic but there's nothing I can do about any of that and I've never accepted that being diabetic should limit me but do accept that if I have excess glucose my joints may get sticky hence the apt name for the condition - adhesive capsulitis!
Another thing I was told was that if I was anaesthetised I would have full mobility of my shoulder though this is movement restriction isn't in my head or yours but has an element of 'guarding' in it. So the sooner you find a way to keep it all moving the better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Why do you think the frozen shoulder was caused by diabetes; commonly it isn't. True adhesive capsulitis often isn't help by steroid injections as inflammation isn't the cause but the clamping down of the 'capsule'. In many cases time is the only cure. My wife was given amitriptyline to ease the pain which helped a lot.

Reactions: SarahGJ

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Has anybody had an issue with frozen shoulders caused by diabetis? Both my shoulders are affected and I now have limited movement and very painfull shoulders. Have had one injection but has not helped another, waiting for another one!
Have been told can take years to improve or may never completely go away due to diabetis.
Only been diagnosed for a year, doctors missed it for over two half years during Covid!

Thanks for listening.

I’m recovering from frozen shoulder. I tried the physio which helped a bit massage helped a bit and a hanging excercise helps a lot. I posted a link on another frozen shoulder post a few weeks back. … well worth a look and try …. I’m staying with this exercise a little each day is really helping me ….. re the cause of the issue I’ve searched deeply and can find no exact answer other than if you are diabetic it doesn’t help. Mine came on after a flu jab so could have been injury related. ….

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Similar experiences, except never had any scan, medication or physio.

The only thing that lessened the pain and increased mobility and range of motion was frequent yet small bouts of exercises suggested by a French doctor or physio (I am away from my digital library). He specifically addressed this condition in an article.
The article was not peer reviewed nor was there any claimed science behind it. It just seemed to work for some people so he shared it.

In very simple terms, my adaptation of it reduced down to:
Sitting down
Lean over the affected shoulder.
Swing around the arm, holding a heavy dumbbell or kettlebell.(8kg, 12kg, 16kg,...)
The swings should be modest in range, but push just beyond the comfort zone, into pain.
Swing across, around, various movements - move it!

There were other exercises suggested by the author.
I found rapid improvements just from the above, so lapsed from further efforts.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Rev-T and welcome to the forums.

While frozen shoulders are more common (and often more serious ?) in diabetics they aren't confined to them, and I wouldn't say they are caused by the diabetes

I've had two. Luckily I didn't get the second one till I had just about recovered from the first, which was about ten years ago. I waited the first one out and it took two to three years to go (mostly), but when I got the second one it healed much faster (a year?) because I did physio for it straight away, rather than waiting till I'd almost recovered.. I would say they are 99% recovered now.

The natural progression seems unfortunately to be both slow and painful, so consider your options as to treatment. Some people find steroid injections help, others do physio, others swear by their chiropractor.

Here's the link to the thread started by @OrsonKartt
Frozen Shoulder | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

But none of my medical practitioners have ever suggested to me that it will lead to permanent pain/disability, so don't give up hope.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi @Rev-T and welcome to the forums.

While frozen shoulders are more common (and often more serious ?) in diabetics they aren't confined to them, and I wouldn't say they are caused by the diabetes

I've had two. Luckily I didn't get the second one till I had just about recovered from the first, which was about ten years ago. I waited the first one out and it took two to three years to go (mostly), but when I got the second one it healed much faster (a year?) because I did physio for it straight away, rather than waiting till I'd almost recovered.. I would say they are 99% recovered now.

The natural progression seems unfortunately to be both slow and painful, so consider your options as to treatment. Some people find steroid injections help, others do physio, others swear by their chiropractor.

Here's the link to the thread started by @OrsonKartt
Frozen Shoulder | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

But none of my medical practitioners have ever suggested to me that it will lead to permanent pain/disability, so don't give up hope.

I think the best advise it to try to keep it mobile.

Reactions: EllieM

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Why do you think the frozen shoulder was caused by diabetes; commonly it isn't. True adhesive capsulitis often isn't help by steroid injections as inflammation isn't the cause but the clamping down of the 'capsule'. In many cases time is the only cure. My wife was given amitriptyline to ease the pain which helped a lot.
T2D here.

Only replying as I have never had frozen shoulder

However recent RTA.left pretty horrific injuries.

Yet it was the shoulder that caused me most pain ( secondary investigative scans pinpointed bursitis )

Morphine on tap, pain meds etc..
Didn't even touch the sides
Still left me screaming in agony

Amitriptyline was diagnosed.
Managed the pain right away.
First decent night's sleep since accident .

Still taking as shoulder still repairing many months later .

Not sure if it's useful, but if you are suffering pain at night, I'd say worth investigating for a peaceful nights sleep, until a true remedy can be obtained.