Diagnose as a Christmas present

CarlG

Hi

Got the confirming DM-T2 letter last Christmas day - worst and best present I ever got I guess. Turned my life around to the better. HbA1c from 8.2% in Dec11, joined the 5% club in around 6 months time (5.5% now), but suspect my values was even higher some time before I (accidentally) got them checked. In retrospect, I should have known something was up, but I didn't think diabetes at all (not sure why). All my "issues" that I now know originates from my diabetes, at the time I could (wrongly) blame on something else. Money saved going to the doctors office :lol:

Since diagnose I have completely changed my eating habits and started exercise fairly regularly (currently about 600-1200 kcal per day, not great I guess, but considering my lack of fitness it's more than plenty :shock:). My arbitrary weight loss goal is 50kg in a year through exercise and eating habits alone, and I have 5-7kg to go (started at 125kg, goal is 75kg, then back to around 80kg±5) in about two months time. Shouldn't be a problem, but things are going much slower now, so time will show.

No medications yet, and my doctor says he can no longer diagnose me with DM-T2, but I guess that is now only a matter of time. Blood pressure is (oddly enough, all things considered) perfect, but my LDL is a bit high. My doctor won't put me on meds for this just yet though, and I have to concur.

Eating wise, I've gone from worst imaginable via reasonably focused (not extreme), to just being aware now since my readings are in the non diabetic range (also after meals, haven't seen a 7 in a few months). If I know something is high carb, I take a lot less of it or have it replaced with veggies where applicable. Unhealthy snacks replaced with healthier snacks (fruits, high level cocoa based chocolate rather than milk based). And obviously no sugar sodas anymore. Never was much into booze, only on rare occasions, but I do smoke like a chimney :shh:

Exercise have improved pretty good over this time. I could smoke up to 60 a day depending pretty much only if I had the time to do it. I'm down to a more normal 20 a day, but can't imagine anything less. 10 months ago I could barely walk a kilometer before starting to get dizzy, now I can slow jog 5km (only once, so far) constant uphill (treadmill, can't seem to run much outdoors for some reason). Due to a problematic knee, I tend to prefer walking. Takes more time, but I can keep a steeper ascent which makes me burn more. Still s long way to go, although I don't have an ambition of becoming "athletic" :p

It's been a turning point in how I live my life, but nothing like the "horror stories" I often read about. Maybe I'm just not there yet, or maybe it's because I still can avoid medications, not sure.

I wish doctors offices and pharmacies would have completely free finger pricking BG machines in their waiting rooms, printing out a strip advising you to ask for a proper screening on high values. When I was diagnosed, I had to specifically ask for a blood test (I was in only for some paperwork) putting me in another queue, with intent on just confirming that everything was okay - guess it wasn't.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carl, :)

Welcome to the forum,

Well done, what a time you have had sorting things out.

You also reveal how smoking is not that easy to give up.

Doing things your way is showing dividends and it will only get better.

There will be lots of nice advice and ideas in this forum.

Roy. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CarlG said:
Hi

I wish doctors offices and pharmacies would have completely free finger pricking BG machines in their waiting rooms, printing out a strip advising you to ask for a proper screening on high values. When I was diagnosed, I had to specifically ask for a blood test (I was in only for some paperwork) putting me in another queue, with intent on just confirming that everything was okay - guess it wasn't.

If you are in the UK then you can get a free finger pricking test done at Lloyds Pharmacies. They will advise you as to whether your next step is the doctor's office or not.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Carl and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. I see you have already been making good progress by looking after yourself well. Ask all the questions you need to as there is always someone who will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.